2015 Mazda CX5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife just purchased a 2015 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring with the 2.5 that has about 5700 miles. The owners manual calls for 0-20 in the U.S. and Canada and 5-30 everywhere else. According to the sticker in the windshield, the selling dealer filled it with Valvoline 5-30. Do I dump the 5-30 and fill with 0-20 or run the 5-30 for a short OCI? Going foward, use the 0-20 or 5-30 or will it not matter at all?

It will not matter, but make sure the manual says you can use 5w-30 in some way. For example, my car's manual says 5w-30 can be used if 0w-20 can't be found but it should be switched at the next fill. That's just to protect whatever warranty you have left.

My vaote is to just use what is in it as it was changed by the dealer. On following oil changes proceed to using the prescribed 0w20.

2.5 usually want a 30. Big Hp, Big rod angle, big stroke, short piston skirts big revs.

Does it feel sluggish?
With a new motor wearing in, that VWB will be chewed to a 20 grade in 2000 miles anyway.

20 grade has a Kv at warm up of well over 100 and maybe over 1000 in freezing weather.

So 8.5 cSt HOT vs 10.5 cSt HOT ( i.e; 20 v.30 grade) is goonna lunch the motor
smile.gif

No, No and No. Never.

Only worry about too thin - not a bit thicker than optimum (for warmup fuel mileage)

Last edited:
Aside from warranty, there should be no concerns.
The idea that thicker than specified oil will cause damage or additional wear gain traction as start up wear and now became a widely repeated fact even under normal operating conditions, despite having no data behind it.

Originally Posted By: horse123
It will not matter, but make sure the manual says you can use 5w-30 in some way. For example, my car's manual says 5w-30 can be used if 0w-20 can't be found but it should be switched at the next fill. That's just to protect whatever warranty you have left.

Thats what my honda -01 civic states, byt after warranty then run 0w 30 or 5w as well

If the dealer uses 5w-30 it sure won't hurt anything and if it's done by a Mazda dealer there should be no warranty issues. On the other hand, if you want to DIY with a synthetic, use and document 0w-20.

I have a 2012 Mazda 5 with 85K on it now. I have always used 5-20 and 0-20 now that I have found a source. Running synthetic oil in it and it is 0-20. Haven't had any problems with this motor. Uses no oil and gets very close to 30 mpg. Love this car.
smile.gif

Last edited:
5w30. The CX9, same engine except turbo uses 5w30 so no issues with oiling.

Originally Posted By: derweed
2015 Mazda CX5 ... with the 2.5 The owners manual calls for 0-20 in the U.S. and Canada and 5-30 everywhere else..... Valvoline 5-30. Do I dump the 5-30 and fill with 0-20 or run the 5-30 for a short OCI?

The laws of physics don't change when you cross a border, so Mazda has clearly stated that both are acceptable.

I would leave the Valvoline 5W30 in, it's a good oil, and in about 5k miles, change to the US spec 0W20 synthetic. Once out of warranty I would start using a good Dexos rated 5W30, like M1 or Magnatec or PP etc. But nothing wrong with staying with a good 0W20 or 5W20 if you prefer that.

Originally Posted By: derweed
My wife just purchased a 2015 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring with the 2.5 that has about 5700 miles. The owners manual calls for 0-20 in the U.S. and Canada and 5-30 everywhere else. According to the sticker in the windshield, the selling dealer filled it with Valvoline 5-30. Do I dump the 5-30 and fill with 0-20 or run the 5-30 for a short OCI? Going foward, use the 0-20 or 5-30 or will it not matter at all?

We have a 2012 Mazda in the family with the Skyactive engine. Owners manual calls for the same oils.
We always use 5/30 summer and 5/20 winter.
You will be fine, same engine in other countries is 5/30.
No way would I dump it.

SO, I ASK AGAIN: HOW DOES IT RUN WITH THE 5W30 - IS IT SLUGGISH? FEEL MIRED IN MUD/

IF NOT JUST USE THE 30. DO NOT GO TO A 20 AT THIS POINT.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY CONCERN USING A 30 GRADE, MULTIGRADE OIL.
THAT THE SILLIEST THING IVE EVER HEARD.

NICE WAY TO GET A ENGINE RAP JUMPING FROM 30 TO 20.

Last edited:
A normal oil change interval now on 5w30 and then switch to 0w20 from there going forward. Some dealers cheap out and carry only one oil regardless of engine requirements. The CX5 does nicely on 0w20 or 5w30. Ed

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Calm down, Mr. Capital McAllcapson!

I wasn't shouting I had the caps lock on and I wasn't about to re-write the missive.
Does an html editor ( or ??) exist that will convert all caps to all lowercase?

I worked with Vi Editor back at bell labs in the 90's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back