2015 Mazda CX5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
If you had caps lock on, wouldn't it have produced text with lower-case first letters lIKE tHIS aFTER a pERIOD?
And you'd think he would have noticed while putting some of the text in bold.

He probably first noticed it half way through the first sentence but was too lazy to go back and change it. Then he just went with it.
crazy.gif

Your wife spent a fair chunk of change at the dealership. I would insist that they fill it with 0w20. The 5w30 won't harm the engine during a 5k interval, but there is the warranty concern.

Even if it is a Mazda dealership and even if the manual says 5w30 outside of North America, I wouldn't take the chance that they would question you on it. Mazda dealerships are notoriously picky when it comes to staying within the recommended parameters. If I spent that much on a vehicle with a Skyactiv engine (oh, wait, I did!) I would make sure that the dealership didn't try to cheap out on me. Personally, it is a gamble/future hassle that I'm not willing to bet on.

Great vehicle choice, by-the-way. I'm sure your wife will get many years of reliable service from that little 2.5.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
If you had caps lock on, wouldn't it have produced words with lower-case first letters lIKE tHIS after a period?

Touche'

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The Skyactiv engines were designed with 0w20 oil in mind.

Got a link?

Not right off. I remember hearing it on a YouTube video with the Mazda engineer Dave Coleman if that helps.

You would have to live here. Too many rules and regulations telling one how to live their life. Similar to San Francisco Bay Area for example.

Back to the Mazda engine, I do remember that video explains how 0w20 oil was an integral part of the fuel economy gain on top of new pistons, combustion engineering, computer controlled timing and compression and a bunch of other stuff. I wish I had the source on hand.

My dealer has no qualms about putting 5w30 in my car that specified 5w20. That was back when I had a 2010 Mazda 3. For my skyactiv, they even offered to put a synthetic blend to save me money when I went to buy the mazda oil from the parts department. They failed to understand I was not using them because they charge $60 for labor and it takes 3 hours to get an oil change.I wouldnt think a 20 or 30 would make any difference to the engine and I ever track the car as I want to one day, I will fill it with a 5w30 before I do. Otherwise it gets 0w20
"

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Back to the Mazda engine, I do remember that video explains how 0w20 oil was an integral part of the fuel economy gainon top of new pistons, combustion engineering, computer controlled timing and compression and a bunch of other stuff. I wish I had the source on hand.

Bold words mine....for fuel economy...to reiterate, the CX9 has the same engine, with the exception of the turbo. So OP using 5w30 for this OCI will do no harm.

I like Mazda's philosophy of mant small changes adding up to a large change. I've driven the CX5 and it will likely be my next vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back