2015 Lexus NX 200t - New turbo using TGMO 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an all new engine from Toyota and the first turbo in a Lexus.
It's a 2L four rated at 235 hp and 258 lb.-ft. Sound similar to the BMW N20 turbo four.
The new small SUV it's coming in should be in dealers showroom this fall.

I asked my local Lexus dealer what oil was specified for the new engine and I was told "probably the TGMO 0W-20" but they don't have any technical info yet. I suspect that's the oil that will be specified.
If BMW can spec' a 0W-20 for their own turbo four then I'm sure Toyota will:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3407588/1

The Hyundai/KIA 2 liter turbo 4 is rated at 274 HP - 264 HP & 275 - 269 Foot Pounds of Torque depending on application and requires 5W30 with 264 Hp versions and 5W40 with the 274 HP version I understand.

One would think that a thicker oil than 0W20 would be used in a turbo application?

Yes thinking conventionally, "one would think that a thicker oil than 0W-20 wold be used in a turbo application," but a 0W-20 will work as has been specified for the BMW N20 turbo as an option.

It's not the first time a 20 grade has been spec'd for a turbo engine. Ford has in the recent past as has Hyundai.

In the Hyundai example cited above 5W-30 is what's specified, 5W-40 is just optional.

It might be the DI of the Hyundai motor that needs the thicker oil, although if I remember correctly, the BMW N20 is DI, and the the Lexus has some kind of DI/Port hybrid thing.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Here is some more info.

The engine has both DI and port injection.

thumbsup2.gif
Maybe this is the fix.

Is the 20wt robust enough? Maybe engineering is getting ready for lower weights, say 16? Prove a 20wt in turbo and you are laying the path to even lighter.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Is the 20wt robust enough? Maybe engineering is getting ready for lower weights, say 16? Prove a 20wt in turbo and you are laying the path to even lighter.

If the engine is designed for it, sure
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

thumbsup2.gif

I'm hoping that the Ford and BMW engineers cited in this thread did their homework when designing this Toyota engine...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

thumbsup2.gif

I'm hoping that the Ford and BMW engineers cited in this thread did their homework when designing this Toyota engine...

LMAO!!!
grin.gif

Dragging this one up...

From the NX200T manual:

"Use Lexus approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil SAE 0W-20 for Direct Injection Turbo Gasoline Engines” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade: “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil SAE 0W-20 for Direct Injection Turbo Gasoline Engines” or ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil

Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20"

So did Toyota come out with a revised 0W-20 for this engine, or are they now referring to their good-old TGMO as “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil SAE 0W-20 for Direct Injection Turbo Gasoline Engines”?

If so, do we have to call it TGMO-DITGE?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If BMW can spec' a 0W-20 for their own turbo four then I'm sure Toyota will:

It will last through the warranty that for sure. Toyota will get CAFE credits that's also sure.
What happens to it after that is your problem.

Quote:
BMW

Modell
220i Coupe (N20 - F22 - 135kW) (2 Series) Motor
BT

Jahr
2013-

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30

Anwendung Empfehlung Kapazität (l)
Motor (BT) (N20) 1. Wahl Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 (a) 5.0
2. Wahl Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30

And another.
Quote:
BMW

Modell
X3 28i xDrive (N20 - 180kW) (X3 Series)

Motor
BT

Jahr
2011-

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30

Anwendung Empfehlung Kapazität (l)
Motor (BT) (N20) 1. Wahl Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 (a) 4.8
2. Wahl Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Did I miss something, but since when BMW is using W20?

BMW came out with "FE" versions of a couple of their specs in the last while and I believe it is the more recent incarnation that has an xW-20 as a part of it.

Nothing wrong with using a 20-weight if the engine is designed for it. If BMW has taken the effort to ensure it works, I'm sure it works perfectly fine.

Originally Posted By: Trav

It will last through the warranty that for sure. Toyota will get CAFE credits that's also sure.
What happens to it after that is your problem.

Any proof that your scinism holds water with this particular pairing? I can appreciate your dislike for 0w20 but your last entry is boardering on fear mongering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Did I miss something, but since when BMW is using W20?

BMW came out with "FE" versions of a couple of their specs in the last while and I believe it is the more recent incarnation that has an xW-20 as a part of it.

Nothing wrong with using a 20-weight if the engine is designed for it. If BMW has taken the effort to ensure it works, I'm sure it works perfectly fine.

No thanx. Nothing below 3.5cp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back