2015 Kia Sedona SX-L 3.3L GDI

Wife just got a 2015 Kia Sedona with 60k miles on it. She bought pre paid maintenance for 2 years from the Ford Dealer. 5W30 Motorcraft SB every 6 months or 5k miles. The manual says to use an A5 rated oil ever 7,500 miles but if A5 isn't available then to use API SL. I will be deployed so I won't be home to maintain it. Obviously M1 EPHM would be better as it wears the A5/B5 spec. Any problems with using the MC SB while I'm gone for a few oil changes? That's what Ford uses in their Ecoboosts and they get good results so ithink it will be fine?

Having worked on Kias for a few years, the 3.3 doesn't really seem to care what oil you put in it as long as it's 5000 miles or less, but I highly recommend the OEM Kia cartridge oil filters. Every time I've seen aftermarket ones like the STP, they cause a ton more cold start noise from the timing chain. The OEM filter reduces or stops this noise. I would let the Ford dealer know to get a Kia Oil filter.

I would not worry about the Motorcraft oil at all.
It is a fine oil and a said, just stick with a 5,000 mile interval if you are worried and you will be fine.

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 for my last few changes on my '18 Santa Fe with the 3.3.
Not an A5 oil, but I don't care. Hyundai and Kia are really not that picky on oil.
I have only been using H/K filters, so no idea if there is an issue with aftermarket filters.

These motors are loud on startup, but it is due to the direct injection, not lifters or chains and such (although there could be an issue with a poorly constructed filter).

MC SB is a really good oil. Don't sweat it. As for filters, speaking from experience with four of the Nu family of engines (unfortunately no Lambda experience), I've only had success with Hyundai/Kia or WIX/NAPA Gold filters. As blu said, Hyundai/KIA engines aren't picky with oil. Well, the Thetas might want a word, but that's another argument for another day.

Make yourself a favor and cancel that contract for a full refund. They’ve probably charged like 1.5-2k for a few oil changes. Most Kia dealers will get it changed for $30-50. Call a few for quotes, get the atf and brake fluid changed too. Good luck with the car!

Last edited:
I've got a new 2021 Kia Sedona with the same 3.3L engine. The manual indicates pretty much the same. OCI of 7,500 miles. I'm curious as to why several of you are recommending to change it sooner at every 5,000 miles. Is there any harm in actually changing at the specified manual recommendation?

Make yourself a favor and cancel that contract for a full refund. They’ve probably charged like 1.5-2k for a few oil changes. Most Kia dealers will get it changed for $30-50. Call a few for quotes, get the atf and brake fluid changed too. Good luck with the car!
It was about $250 for 8 oil changes. The price was fine.

It was about $250 for 8 oil changes. The price was fine

I've got a new 2021 Kia Sedona with the same 3.3L engine. The manual indicates pretty much the same. OCI of 7,500 miles. I'm curious as to why several of you are recommending to change it sooner at every 5,000 miles. Is there any harm in actually changing at the specified manual recommendation?
Fuel dilution. I changed mine at 5K miles on the 3.3L when I had it - and it was not too soon.

Because 7500miles is only in the ideal scenario that you leave your house get straight on the highway drive 20+ miles then get off the highway and immediately park it at work and do the same coming home. The manual says the severe service interval is 3750 miles, pretty much everything but what I just described falls under severe service, so somewhere around 4000-5000miles is the optimal OCI for how most people drive.

It was about $250 for 8 oil changes. The price was fine
I am surprised, $250 is a very good price. That 1 time when I thought of buying a Ford, they’ve tried to upsell me a package of 3 services for $2k. No problem with MC and 5k OCI, should be a worry free vehicle

I am surprised, $250 is a very good price. That 1 time when I thought of buying a Ford, they’ve tried to upsell me a package of 3 services for $2k. No problem with MC and 5k OCI, should be a worry free vehicle
It's cheap but they'll also find something wrong with your car every time you come for an oil change.

It's cheap but they'll also find something wrong with your car every time you come for an oil change.
She bought a 120k miles bumper to bumper warranty too. Now that was $2,900 but I don't have to worry about her dealing with stuff while I'm gone just pay $100 deductible and she could even get rental if it takes over night to fix. While I'm gone she will have my car but still.

Because 7500miles is only in the ideal scenario that you leave your house get straight on the highway drive 20+ miles then get off the highway and immediately park it at work and do the same coming home. The manual says the severe service interval is 3750 miles, pretty much everything but what I just described falls under severe service, so somewhere around 4000-5000miles is the optimal OCI for how most people drive.
Exactly.
the 7500 mile interval is for "normal" conditions, but when you look at their list, almost any type of driving throws you into "severe", which is 3750 miles.
  1. Repeated short distance driving
  2. Driving in dusty conditions or sandy areas
  3. Extensive use of brakes
  4. Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used
  5. Driving on rough or muddy roads
  6. Driving in mountainous areas
  7. Extended periods of idling or low speed operation
  8. Driving for a prolonged period in cold temperatures and/or extremely humid climates
  9. More than 50% driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90°F (32°C)

I find 5,000 a good compromise for me. I meet 1, 7, 8, and 9, but I also do regular long distance driving.
I also use synthetic oil and Hyundai/Kia's recommendation is based on conventional oil.
Plus 5,000 miles is easy to remember.

She bought a 120k miles bumper to bumper warranty too. Now that was $2,900 but I don't have to worry about her dealing with stuff while I'm gone just pay $100 deductible and she could even get rental if it takes over night to fix. While I'm gone she will have my car but still.
Yeah makes sense, as long as it's a reputable warranty company

Back