2015 Jeep Wrangler High Oil Pressure at Interstate Speeds (3.6L Pentastar)

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler with 120,000 miles and lately I have noticed that my oil pressure (as displayed in the EVIC) will jump up from 40-44psi to 65-75psi after about 10-45 min of interstate speeds of around 70mph. When this occurs my engine temperature will be between 215-222 degrees F. I am not experiencing a check engine light when this happens. I understand the oil pump of the 3.6L Pentastar is a 2 stage pump that will switch to high pressure mode after achieving 3500rpm and possibly other parameters. I know this is not normal, but my questions are what will happen if I continue to drive the vehicle with the oil pressure at this psi, what could be causing this issue, and how critical is it to get repaired. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 with WIX XP filters. I recently changed my oil and used a Mopar filter...the issue continues.

I have attached pictures of my dash when this occurs including oil pressure, engine temp, and ambient temp. Some of the pictures are blurry and I apologize.

Attachments

• 20210312_173944.jpg
    20210312_173944.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 20210312_173950.jpg
    20210312_173950.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 259
  • 20210315_053809.jpg
    20210315_053809.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 222
  • 20210315_053816.jpg
    20210315_053816.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210315_060743.jpg
    20210315_060743.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 20210315_060756.jpg
    20210315_060756.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210315_060801.jpg
    20210315_060801.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 259
I would guess the actuator could be failing, but as long as you get higher pressure there's no need to spend money. If your oil pressure is below normal, it's definitely time to investigate

What is your oil temperature?

Take a look at this thread about oil temperature/pressure in the Pentastar

Reactions: JC1
Welcome to BITOG :)

What is the oil pressure at idle? :unsure:

I'm not familiar with the Pentastar, but 65 psi doesn't seem that high, and high oil pressure is usually less serious than low oil pressure. Most cars don't even have an oil pressure gauge, and the only car I've driven that had one said anything above the red zone is OK.

Since you have no CEL, no teapot light, and no other problems, there doesn't seem to be an issue at this time.

What is your oil temperature?

Take a look at this thread about oil temperature/pressure in the Pentastar

Good thread! I am located in the southeast and thankfully don't have to deal with extreme cold temps. I don't have a specific oil temp gauge, but my coolant temp hovers around 220 degrees F. Back in mid January my thermostat failed and was stuck open resulting in my temp to hover around 185 degrees F...thermostat was replaced mid Feb correcting the temp issue. I noticed high pressure under both conditions.

Another thing that may be worth mentioning the first time I noticed this happening was during the heat of last summer. I was traveling on the interstate at 75mph and noticed my pressure had jumped to 65psi...I was able to pull off and shut off and start the vehicle and continue my trip with a normal pressure of 42psi. The only reason I even noticed this is that during long trips I flip through all my info menus, because I'm a huge nerd.
Welcome to BITOG :)

What is the oil pressure at idle? :unsure:

I'm not familiar with the Pentastar, but 65 psi doesn't seem that high, and high oil pressure is usually less serious than low oil pressure. Most cars don't even have an oil pressure gauge, and the only car I've driven that had one said anything above the red zone is OK.

Since you have no CEL, no teapot light, and no other problems, there doesn't seem to be an issue at this time.
Oil psi at idle once the engine is warm is in the mid 30's. At initial start up the pressure is in the 80's until operating temperature is achieved.

Not having watched the video, im not sure there is a problem. First, keep in mind that oil takes a lot longer to warm up than coolant, so there may be an oil temperature function in play here. Second, moving a wrangler at 74 mph is no small feat, and with those relatively low rpms (i love the pentastar tuning here), the bottom end is seeing real work. It would not surprise me at all if the ecu is commanding additional pressure as the oil warms up, on purpose. Does this engine use oil squirters for the pistons?

m

I think I would be more worried that your coolant temp is 222 while driving.

I think I would be more worried that your coolant temp is 222 while driving.

Completely normal on that 2015 Jeep. If you looked at the desired coolant temperature, it would be right around that as they run a lot of newer stuff a bit hotter for better fuel economy.

Completely normal on that 2015 Jeep. If you looked at the desired coolant temperature, it would be right around that as they run a lot of newer stuff a bit hotter for better fuel economy.
Yeah I thought about that after I typed it - but couldn't delete the comment. I am aware late model cars all run hotter for emmisions and effiecency but still figured it would be under 220 while moving. The wife's Grand Cherokee 3.6 runs 215 normally. WIth that I guess all is well.

Hey guys I just wanted to wrap up this thread with the conclusion and hopefully it will help others in the future experiencing similar issues.

At the beginning of May (@ ~124,000mi) my Jeep displayed a code P0304 cylinder No. 4 miss fire. At first I thought it was lifter/rocker issue as I have already had the "pleasure" of having the pentastar tick fixed on both the left bank (this one generated a miss fire code P0302) and the right bank (this one was just a loud tick). One happened inside the warranty period the other unfortunately did not.

I was not "lucky" this time as cylinder No. 4 exhibited a 30% leakage and the cylinder head required replacing. For the 2012-2013 3.6L Pentastar V6 left cylinder head the warranty was extended to 150,000 mi/10 years. FCA claims to have revised the design of the left cylinder head, but the problem continues to plague 2014+ models. While my JK wrangler was in the shop a newer JL wrangler with the 3.6L was having the left cylinder head replaced so the problem continues with current pentastar production.

At this same time it was discovered that my oil filter adapter/cooler was leaking and it was replaced as well. I had a feeling this was the case as I had observed oil residue build up in the area directly under the oil filter housing, but I could not confirm as I could not see any further under the adapter/cooler. This new oil filter adapter/cooler came with new sensors as well.

All this to say that after these extensive repairs my oil pressure at interstate speeds is now between 42-45psi and my coolant temp at interstate speeds has dropped to 212-215°F.

Thanks for reading,

Cap

I came across this post while looking for info concerning high oil pressure on my 2014 wrangler, 3.6 engine after noticing oil on my driveway leaking from somewhere on my engine. I noticed after start up 110 psi for oil pressure cold, and while driving it never dropped below 90 even after warm up except at idle, that read 45 on the big dog tuner I have installed. Engine coolant temps were running between 205 and 215.
Engine has not quite turned 67k, if pressures are actuality that high I can see why I have a leak or leaks.
It appears there are some common problems with this engine. Any idea on where to start besides a sending unit and new filter would be helpful.
Thanks

I know that's a completely different engine, but my wrangler with a 4.0l did the same thing. I replaced the oil pressure sensor and all was well.

I came across this post while looking for info concerning high oil pressure on my 2014 wrangler, 3.6 engine after noticing oil on my driveway leaking from somewhere on my engine. I noticed after start up 110 psi for oil pressure cold, and while driving it never dropped below 90 even after warm up except at idle, that read 45 on the big dog tuner I have installed. Engine coolant temps were running between 205 and 215.
Engine has not quite turned 67k, if pressures are actuality that high I can see why I have a leak or leaks.
It appears there are some common problems with this engine. Any idea on where to start besides a sending unit and new filter would be helpful.
Thanks

First, high oil pressures and oil leaks are not correlated.

Second, the 3.6 goes into high pressure mode upon cold start. It stays there until oil temp reaches ~170°. This typically takes about 8-10 minutes of driving. It is very easy to spot on the gauge when the switch to low pressure occurs.

The engine can get stuck in high pressure mode for two reasons - One, the oil pressure switch fails (common) which is part of the oil cooler assembly, or two the actual switching solenoid attached to the oil pump itself fails. The latter can also cause the engine to be stuck in low pressure mode and it will not rev past 4000 RPM in that case. I have had failures of both on my Jeep over the years. Both will set a check engine light.

I tried a new sending unit and filter, pressure stayed around 100 after warming up while driving except at idle when it dropped to 45, the oil leak is not just a little oild drip, it leaves a puddle under the rig and dropped a quart in 10 miles of stop and go driving, almost looks like a main seal leaking? Hard to tell, once it quits raining I'll clean everything up underneath and see if I can find my issue.
20220303_125740.jpg

I tried a new sending unit and filter, pressure stayed around 100 after warming up while driving except at idle when it dropped to 45, the oil leak is not just a little oild drip, it leaves a puddle under the rig and dropped a quart in 10 miles of stop and go driving, almost looks like a main seal leaking? Hard to tell, once it quits raining I'll clean everything up underneath and see if I can find my issue.
View attachment 91486

Almost certainly it is the oil filter/cooler assembly. The engine is pitched back a bit and and it leaks all over the top of the transmission and back of the engine. If you have any pooled oil in the valley under the intake and around the oil filter area, that is confirmation. Very common failure, pretty much every 3.6 will need this part changed at some point.

There is a little oil around the filter housing but nothing bad, i'll do some more cleaning and hopefully find the problem after it quits raining.

Looks like it may be the cooler, filter housing. Thats a chore to replace, the top of the engine, intake fuel rails ect... need to be removed to gain access to the cooler, fun job. Whoever designed that needs to go back to school or work as a wrench before being allowed to design something.

Back