2015 Hyundia Veloster Turbo, OEM requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's interesting how Hyundai has no faith in 5W-20 to lubricate THEIR turbocharger.
grin2.gif

Let me fix it for you. LOL Maybe they feel other grades are better suited.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
They advised that ANY API SM or ILSAC GF4 is all that's needed. ACEA is meant for Hyundai sold in europe.

yup, that's what i said.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
A5 or above? What is above? There is NO above!

Yeah, seriously. The way it's worded, it makes it sound like the higher the number the better, which is not really the case with ACEA. They are just different specs for different applications, but not necessarily better. And as you said, the A5 is already the highest numbered spec in their passenger car lineup.

33.gif

I've been using M1 0W-40 for the past year in my Sonata, no complaints. I think it might be a good option for you as well.

I have a 2014 elanta coupe 2.0 says the same 10/30 and 5/20-5/30 use 5/20 for best miliage. use an SM rated oil.
i would like to run rotella T-6 SM rated 5-40. i dont have a turbo but feel the euro spec would include a 5-40 for this engine. any input is this bad with their warrenty ppl?

Originally Posted By: maximus
Hyundai warranty sucks. Don't ask me how I know.

Depends on your dealership. I've had great results with one and opposite with another.

Originally Posted By: BitterShard
I recently purchased a 2015 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (1.6L T-GDI engine).

In order to not void the generous 120 month/ 100000 mi warranty, I have decided to strictly follow the OEM maintenance schedule and oil change recommendations.

If it sounds too good to be true... it usually is. Recently, a friend spent a great deal of time battling a japanese brand offering an impossibly long drivetrain warranty (10 year 100 000 mile...) on an engine claim...

Their answer was this... if the car was not serviced EXACTLY as specified at the DEALER only, then the warranty was void.

Changed your own oil... ? Ummm, yeah, sorry... not covered...!

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Their answer was this... if the car was not serviced EXACTLY as specified at the DEALER only, then the warranty was void.

At least in the US, that's illegal and he could take them to court and win. You do need to show proof of all maintenance, but it does not have to be done by the DEALER, unless the DEALER provides it for free.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

At least in the US, that's illegal and he could take them to court and win. You do need to show proof of all maintenance, but it does not have to be done by the DEALER, unless the DEALER provides it for free.

+1
You beat me to it QP

Illegal, yes.... worthwhile to challenge via the legal process... a big MAYBE...?

Time and cost become factors... the car in question is 8 years old, with 95 000 miles, and a resale value of about $ 1000 bucks... give or take.

The owner says that the car maker is being sticky about a couple of undocumented oil changes... and as we all know, there are two sides to every story...

And those who follow the "by the book ... " dealer maintenance schedule will often end up paying for any "warranty..." claim anyway, thru excessive maintenance costs. Inspect and adjust, rotate tires and change oil ... that'll be $ 200.00... !?!?

Same thing for the guy who pays for an extended warranty... I checked the Toyota . ca website recently, and discovered that extending the comprehensive warranty 2 years out to 5 years to match the drivetrain warranty was $ 2000.00 ...! Or, extending out to 7 years , 200 000 km is a whopping $4500.00...

That $ 2 grand + would pay for a chunk of repairs, IF something should fail. Buying the warranty means they get your money up front. Not getting it means they MIGHT get your money...

Illegal, yes.... worthwhile to challenge via the legal process... a big MAYBE...?

In the US sometimes the Federal government does it for you. "BMW Settles FTC Charges That It Required Consumers To Use Specific Parts"

See also § 700.10:
Quote:

[W]arranty language that implies to a consumer acting reasonably in the circumstances that warranty coverage requires the consumer’s purchase of an article or service identified by brand, trade or corporate name is similarly deceptive,” reads the revised rule. “For example, a provision in the warranty such as, ‘use only an authorized ‘ABC’ dealer’ or ‘use only ‘ABC’ replacement parts,’ is prohibited where the service or parts are not provided free of charge pursuant to the warranty.

Last edited:
The owner says that the car maker is being sticky about a couple of undocumented oil changes...

Well, the manufacturer does have the right to ask for maintenance records. If the owner can't provide them, then I'm afraid he's out of luck. But I would not necessarily blame the manufacturer in this case. Granted, some can be more strict than others, but if it's clearly stated that honoring the warranty requires service records, then that's what it is.

Time and cost become factors... the car in question is 8 years old, with 95 000 miles, and a resale value of about $ 1000 bucks... give or take.

The owner says that the car maker is being sticky about a couple of undocumented oil changes... and as we all know, there are two sides to every story...

And those who follow the "by the book ... " dealer maintenance schedule will often end up paying for any "warranty..." claim anyway, thru excessive maintenance costs. Inspect and adjust, rotate tires and change oil ... that'll be $ 200.00... !?!?

Same thing for the guy who pays for an extended warranty... I checked the Toyota . ca website recently, and discovered that extending the comprehensive warranty 2 years out to 5 years to match the drivetrain warranty was $ 2000.00 ...! Or, extending out to 7 years , 200 000 km is a whopping $4500.00...

That $ 2 grand + would pay for a chunk of repairs, IF something should fail. Buying the warranty means they get your money up front. Not getting it means they MIGHT get your money...

In the case of the car you mentioned an extended warranty would pay book value of the car if a big repair came up. Example: the transmission dies and the repair is $4,000. If the car has a book value of $1000, that's all the person gets, and the warranty ends. Just read the fine print of an extended warranty.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The only time it really flies up here is if it's an aftermarket type warranty. The dealer offered a lifetime warranty on my G37 engine if I get them to do all the oil changes. Well, not in this lifetime.

If any dealer told me that the OEM warranty would be voided by doing my own work, I'd ask to see that in writing, and then promptly fax a copy to head office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back