2015 Hyundai Sonata review

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past Tuesday I took my Accord in for warranty work and Honda graciously agreed to pay for a rental for 5 days. They chauffeured me to Enterprise where I picked up a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. I was happy from the start because I expected them to put me into a penalty box car like last time (2014 Nissan Versa). It is the base model with a white pearl exterior and grey cloth interior. Styling is subjective I know, but it is a handsome design and I think it will age fairly well. The interior is well appointed for being the base model, you get all the basics (power windows / door locks / a/c / manually adjustable seats, plus bluetooth connection for calling and a nice display in the instrument cluster that has a plethora of settings. The belt line is high so you do feel kind of like you are enveloped by the car, yet visibility out of the front and sides does not suffer at least for me. Visibility out of the rear isn't bad but its not best in class either. The exterior has some nice touches as well for being the base model, for instance you get full LED daytime running lights and hid headlights which give the car a more premium look. They also give you 16 inch allow wheels and a trunk lip spoiler, combine all that with the white pearl paint job and it looks very nice. If I had to describe the driving experience in one word I would have to pick "insulated". It shifts smoothly, goes over small and large bumps with poise, braking and steering are effortless, and the cabin is very quite. Let me be a little more detailed...the engine noise that gets through the cabin is minimal but you hear a growling noise in addition to the direct injection and it doesn't sound very refined, its not the ticking noise that was bad it was that growling upon acceleration. I am not sure if it is normal or if something was wrong. I noticed it while I was driving home and I checked the oil to make sure it was full, it sounded almost as if it was low on oil but all was well when I checked. The transmission was very smooth, almost too smooth for me. Shifts were a bit slow and slushy. I actually enjoy feeling the shifts from a stepped automatic, it just feels like I am more in tune with my car when I do. Again adding to the over all "insulated" if not numb feeling when driving the car. Steering was effortless, but devoid of any feel. This is the most NUMB steering I have ever felt, I have driven a few cars equipped with electric power steering and this was pretty bad in terms of road feel. Its great in the fact that it does what its supposed to do with ease, it just doesn't communicate back. "It listens, but it doesn't speak". You can however, change the driving mode to sport which basically increases throttle response, raises shift points, and makes the steering more heavy. This is a nice feature to have but it makes the steering almost too heavy, and it still feels artificial. Braking is more than sufficient, I don't have any numbers but in the real world I certainly didn't find myself wanting more stopping power. My overall impression from the Sonata is that it is a great family sedan that will envelope and isolate you from the outside world day in and day out without any fuss. Personally I like to feel a little more in tune with my car, I appreciate steering feel / road feel and more overall feedback from the cars I drive. This week of driving the Sonata has made me appreciate and even miss my 2012 Honda Accord for the superior driving dynamics that it has. The final takeaway is that the Sonata will be what 80-90% of what car buyers want, and it should be on your list if you are shopping for a mainstream sedan. If you are more of a driving enthusiast however, you may find the Sonata to feel just a bit numb.

We have a Sport with the Premium Pkg.
We like it very much and find it's a great bang for the buck with it's big discounting.
However,it's a brand you have to keep for awhile because even with the big discounting and because of it,resale value is awful.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
That was an excellent review. Has your Accord been troublesome?

It's in the shop for rust repair, IIRC. Atypical for a Florida car.

The Sonata reminds me very much of what 1990's-2000's Buicks used to be. Large, effortlessly moving cars that insulate the driver from the road. I've spent some time behind the wheel of a 2015 Sonata Sport. Not a fan of the dynamics. A great car for folks who have highway commutes or where the roads are bad enough that comfort is more important than dynamics.

I seem to remember a class action suit against Hyundai for knowingly putting defective engines in vehicles that would grenade early. Can't remember the details or which car. The main thing thing that keeps me away from Hyundai is the multiple horror stories trying to get warranty work done and the already mentioned poor resale. Plus I want my cars to get to 250000 miles or so with proper maintenance and few repairs. I'm not sure Hyundai is there yet, and I think their required maintenance is pretty high compared to other makers.

The review posted seems to agree with the general consensus on the Sonata. Some people feel it's a better car than the Accord, I don't.

Hmm, my older Hondas in Florida have zero specs of rust...
Not even our 1998 Civic EX given to my nephew.

Good review of rental car. Hyundai makes attractive cars, for the same costs I'll always buy a Honda.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Good review of rental car. Hyundai makes attractive cars, for the same costs I'll always buy a Honda.

After good haggling,a Hyundai should always be much cheaper.
I will say if I kept a vehicle over 5 years,I'd go Honda over Hyundai in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Good review but breaking it up into a few paragraphs would be nice.

This. Good lord, this.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
This past Tuesday I took my Accord in for warranty work and Honda graciously agreed to pay for a rental for 5 days. They chauffeured me to Enterprise where I picked up a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. I was happy from the start because I expected them to put me into a penalty box car like last time (2014 Nissan Versa). It is the base model with a white pearl exterior and grey cloth interior. Styling is subjective I know, but it is a handsome design and I think it will age fairly well. The interior is well appointed for being the base model, you get all the basics (power windows / door locks / a/c / manually adjustable seats, plus bluetooth connection for calling and a nice display in the instrument cluster that has a plethora of settings. The belt line is high so you do feel kind of like you are enveloped by the car, yet visibility out of the front and sides does not suffer at least for me. Visibility out of the rear isn't bad but its not best in class either. The exterior has some nice touches as well for being the base model, for instance you get full LED daytime running lights and hid headlights which give the car a more premium look. They also give you 16 inch allow wheels and a trunk lip spoiler, combine all that with the white pearl paint job and it looks very nice. If I had to describe the driving experience in one word I would have to pick "insulated". It shifts smoothly, goes over small and large bumps with poise, braking and steering are effortless, and the cabin is very quite. Let me be a little more detailed...the engine noise that gets through the cabin is minimal but you hear a growling noise in addition to the direct injection and it doesn't sound very refined, its not the ticking noise that was bad it was that growling upon acceleration. I am not sure if it is normal or if something was wrong. I noticed it while I was driving home and I checked the oil to make sure it was full, it sounded almost as if it was low on oil but all was well when I checked. The transmission was very smooth, almost too smooth for me. Shifts were a bit slow and slushy. I actually enjoy feeling the shifts from a stepped automatic, it just feels like I am more in tune with my car when I do. Again adding to the over all "insulated" if not numb feeling when driving the car. Steering was effortless, but devoid of any feel. This is the most NUMB steering I have ever felt, I have driven a few cars equipped with electric power steering and this was pretty bad in terms of road feel. Its great in the fact that it does what its supposed to do with ease, it just doesn't communicate back. "It listens, but it doesn't speak". You can however, change the driving mode to sport which basically increases throttle response, raises shift points, and makes the steering more heavy. This is a nice feature to have but it makes the steering almost too heavy, and it still feels artificial. Braking is more than sufficient, I don't have any numbers but in the real world I certainly didn't find myself wanting more stopping power. My overall impression from the Sonata is that it is a great family sedan that will envelope and isolate you from the outside world day in and day out without any fuss. Personally I like to feel a little more in tune with my car, I appreciate steering feel / road feel and more overall feedback from the cars I drive. This week of driving the Sonata has made me appreciate and even miss my 2012 Honda Accord for the superior driving dynamics that it has. The final takeaway is that the Sonata will be what 80-90% of what car buyers want, and it should be on your list if you are shopping for a mainstream sedan. If you are more of a driving enthusiast however, you may find the Sonata to feel just a bit numb.

I couldn't be bothered to parse that. The 3rd time I reread the same line I gave up.

Originally Posted By: Colt

I will say if I kept a vehicle over 5 years,I'd go Honda over Hyundai in a heartbeat.

Hard to pick either for 5-10 years or less of ownership, for 10+ years then Honda is a safer choice.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

The Sonata reminds me very much of what 1990's-2000's Buicks used to be. Large, effortlessly moving cars that insulate the driver from the road. I've spent some time behind the wheel of a 2015 Sonata Sport. Not a fan of the dynamics. A great car for folks who have highway commutes or where the roads are bad enough that comfort is more important than dynamics.

Good Lord! I hope you are kidding. Don't get me wrong I loved my 98 Regal GS, it was the perfect sleeper. I am also sure the Sonata does just fine, but my 2015 Malibu is a 100 times better than what my Regal was in every aspect of the car.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Colt

Hard to pick either for 5-10 years or less of ownership, for 10+ years then Honda is a safer choice.

People are interested in Honda's used 5-10 years used. Hyundai not so much as reflected in resale.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I couldn't be bothered to parse that. The 3rd time I reread the same line I gave up.

Unfortunately, I am with Rand here. If you truly expect people to read your posts, try using the [Return] key once in a while. I am sorry to rain on your parade, but it has to be said sometimes.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Good Lord! I hope you are kidding. Don't get me wrong I loved my 98 Regal GS, it was the perfect sleeper. I am also sure the Sonata does just fine, but my 2015 Malibu is a 100 times better than what my Regal was in every aspect of the car.

+1 on the 2015 malibu. I love mine to death it was a huge upgrade from my tauruses and impala.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: Rand

Unfortunately, I am with Rand here. If you truly expect people to read your posts, try using the [Return] key once in a while. I am sorry to rain on your parade, but it has to be said sometimes.

Don't feel sorry, thank you for the constructive criticism.

Regarding the steering, there is a control button on the steering wheel to adjust the 3 settings. "Sport" mode gives the best feel.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Regarding the steering, there is a control button on the steering wheel to adjust the 3 settings. "Sport" mode gives the best feel.
\

The OP mentioned this and stated that all it does is make the steering feel heavier not more communicative, it's still a very artificial feel...

If you enjoy driving and good basic everyday handling and performance the Hyundai is NOT the car you want, the competitive Mazda 6, or Honda Accord is what you want.

Never had any issue getting warranty work done, but only one of of the three I've owned (one was a Veloster) needed it. My neighbor has a 2010 Sonata with 200,000+ miles on the odo... no valve deposit clean up, major issues or falling apart. Driver's enjoyment is a subjective thing.

But hey, we all have our likes. The Accord, Mazda6 and Camry etc., are all great cars. Hard to find a bad apple in this current crop of sedans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back