2015 Honda CRV valve cover leak. Any warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday my mom called me and said the CRV wouldn't start. Go over and the battery was leaking acid, no biggie it was a 4 year old battery. Did the 24F upgrade. While I was under the hood I checked the oil level/ the meaningless color of the oil. The oil was a 3/4 of a quart low, the first time this car has ever consumed oil. Then I notice a valve cover leak, and this stems back to the VTC actuator repair from last year. The car has obviously been leaking for a couple months. She just went past the power train warranty and they warranty their work for a year. Its been a year and probably 2 or 3 weeks. I'm guessing she doesn't have any warranties to fall back on? It makes me upset that this new of a car is leaking oil and probably wouldn't be if that actuator would have never been replaced.

Contact the dealer that did the work and ask them what they can do.

Are you able to check tightness on all fasteners?

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Contact the dealer that did the work and ask them what they can do.

Are you able to check tightness on all fasteners?

I never checked. I figured the gasket was installed incorrectly to begin with.

seems like most shops warranty the work for a year. if the leak was caused by incorrect installation, I'd think it would have been showing signs well before now. If this is a brand new occurrence, it is not as likely to be from that work, but yes I would think it was related. Would have been nice to have caught it sooner. I wouldn't be too hard on the dealer.

Last edited:
Is it possibility that was an oil residue somehow from the last oil change, just saying

also our CRV uses some oil between the oil changes, i'd say about 1qt but no other hiccups with the vehicle

I would just lightly snug up the cover bolts to see it that stops any seepage. I wouldn't think a dealer will offer to fix that for no charge. Ed

I had the Honda dealer change the VC gasket + adjust the valves once. I noticed the corners started to seep oil a while after, so I replaced the gasket again myself. I didn't see any RTV on the corners as the FSM specified. No more leaks after I re-did the job correctly.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I would just lightly snug up the cover bolts to see it that stops any seepage. I wouldn't think a dealer will offer to fix that for no charge. Ed

Originally Posted by meep
seems like most shops warranty the work for a year. if the leak was caused by incorrect installation, I'd think it would have been showing signs well before now. If this is a brand new occurrence, it is not as likely to be from that work, but yes I would think it was related. Would have been nice to have caught it sooner. I wouldn't be too hard on the dealer.

When I picked up the car the dipstick tube wasn't even connected to the engine and interior trim pieces around the gear selector weren't put on. Then on top of that the original head of the engine some how got cracked while getting taken out. I'm gonna ask for a goodwill repair, especially since nothing went flawlessly like it should have. It probably has been leaking for a while but its not my car and she doesn't check things like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back