2015 Honda CR-V AWD excessive oil cunsumption

58,880 miles
Out of warranty
1st owner
Mostly city driving
Regularly changing oil: first 2 changes - Honda synthetic blend 0W-20 at a dealership, afterwards only Mobil1 0W-20 + Mobil1 filter. Following MM, which is approximately every 6,500 miles.

It burns 1qt/1000 miles which is absolutely insane.

A few days back I have replaced a PCV valve (17130-5A2-A01) (it is open in both directions, cleaning didn't help) and yet need to check if it helped.

But anyway, I need some advice from oil experts on which oil is the best for this kind of a car.

Some people recommend switching from 0W-20 to 5W-30 and to use some "magic" oil additives, others blame Mobil1 and recommend to switch to other brands.

I am thinking of switching to High Mileage oil, though it is not 70,000 plus yet, but this type of oil has additives that are formulated by trusted brands, like Mobil, Castrol ...

We have seen numerous vehicles on BITOG that burned a lot on M1 and switching away helped, so that is where I would start. Going thicker might help also.

To be fair, there are also a lot of M1 users that say they don't burn a drop between changes.

Seems to be vehicle/owner/driving habits dependent.

You have very likely been afflicted by late onset oil control ring stickage. It's a problem caused by the volatile front end of your oil's base stock recycling through your PCV system, being burnt & the resultant gummy residue causing one of your oil control rings to get stuck flush in its groove.

There's no easy fix. You could try moving to an oil with a lower volatility but these are few & far between in the US. If you can get your hands on a cheap, Middle Eastern, Group I 20W50 it might help but that's probably not realistic. Maybe an overnight piston oil soak might free things up?

Or just accept this is how things are & keep adding oil. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

You have very likely been afflicted by late onset oil control ring stickage. It's a problem caused by the volatile front end of your oil's base stock recycling through your PCV system, being burnt & the resultant gummy residue causing one of your oil control rings to get stuck flush in its groove.

There's no easy fix. You could try moving to a an oil with a lower volatility but these are few & far between in the US. If you can get your hands on a cheap, Middle Eastern, Group I 20W50 it might help but that's probably not realistic. Maybe an overnight puston oil soak might free things up?

Or just accept this is how things are & keep adding oil. Sorry I can't me more helpful.

There's no easy fix. You could try moving to a an oil with a lower volatility but these are few & far between in the US. If you can get your hands on a cheap, Middle Eastern, Group I 20W50 it might help but that's probably not realistic. Maybe an overnight oil soak might free things up?

Or just accept this is how things are & keep adding oil. Sorry I can't me more helpful.

Our 16 CRV burns too; I did replace PCV but in vain; I'm using M1 since day one: I plan to change on different brands in foreseen future; mine burns about 1Q every 5K OCI; however, I could add more but when its the time for an oil change the oil level sits roughly in the middle of the oil stick appropriate level

there are a lot of products out there meant to be poured in at oil change time, you idle the engine for minutes then dump
the used oil & product, the point being carbon cleaning, varnish removal & hopefully oil control ring release.
I would try one of those before willingly accepting 1 quart per 1,000 miles from a Honda engine.

Thank you, guys, for your comments. I would like to hear your comments on using High Mileage oil. I am not in favor of any oil additive which flush engine. What I heard is that VVT can be ruined. This car has only 58,000 miles on it to justify any play with all "magic" chemicals, IMO.
I hope that High Mileage oil can help cleaning stuck (if it is the reason) oil control piston rings in the long run. I do not mind to wait and am in no hurry. Please share your thoughts on this.
And one more, in 2015 Honda CR-V a PCV valve (17130-5A2-A01) looks different from other PCV valves. It is installed horizontally and looks like a cartridge. Does it have any spring inside to work as a check valve?

Try some M1 EP 0w20 HM to see if that helps. If not I’d try 5w20 Valvoline conventional or red bottle Maxlife. All three of these have helped consumption issues with Honda’s and Toyota’s I’ve cared for. M1 EP HM even helped eliminate a start up noise on a 12 Camry.

I thought Mobil 1 was the best and Magic?
How could this happen?

I would run a good conventional oil like Motorcraft 5W20

You could substitute 1 quart with a 5W30 to boost the viscosity a bit.

See how that does.

At take the thing out for a " I just stole the car romp"
Constant Easy driving at high vacuum kills motors.

Try some M1 EP 0w20 HM to see if that helps. If not I’d try 5w20 Valvoline conventional or red bottle Maxlife. All three of these have helped consumption issues with Honda’s and Toyota’s I’ve cared for. M1 EP HM even helped eliminate a start up noise on a 12 Camry.
That is what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Change the oil and add one bottle of Rislone. It is not a flush. It may help unstick any carbonized rings. It reduced the oil consumption in my 2017 SantaFe which has VVT. It is a very safe product to use. Look it up.

Change the oil and add one bottle of Rislone. It is not a flush. It may help unstick any carbonized rings. It reduced the oil consumption in my 2017 SantaFe which has VVT. It is a very safe product to use. Look it up.
Maybe your are right. But my point is that high quality High Mileage oils contain extra detergents to help fight sludge and deposits from forming.
I am not an expert, again, but it looks like it just adds to the regular oil what is already there in the HM oils. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
High mileage oil does indeed help with cleanup, however it can take quite a while. The Rislone can more quickly and effectively do the job. Usually in a couple thousand miles. Case in point my Ford pickup is rarely driven. It uses high mileage oil. It developed a sticking loud lifter. Rislone cleared it up in about 700 miles. You can use it with confidence. Not a snake oil additive like the other junk out there claiming whatever.

That is what I wanted to hear.
I guess it's good that you admit you want advice, but only that which agrees with what you've already made your mind up on.
I would first try a different brand synth oil in 5w-30, but not high mileage.
Keep in mind HM oil may swell your seals, which are not currently leaking, and cause trouble down the road.
If the change in oil didn't help I'd do a piston soak.

Back