2015 Honda Accord FF UOA 8350 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I did the first oil change and UOA on the factory fill with 8350 miles. The only odd thing I see is the Oxidation at 22. The silicon will drop over the next few oil changes. Changed the oil and filter with Amsoil SS 0W-20 and a Honda A01 oil filter. The MM was at 15% when changed.

Thoughts?

honda_uoa_01.jpg

Check back in 15-20k. I dont think you can tell much at all from the factory fill. Let it break in and check back.

Somehow Honda had been able to assemble an engine with very few contaminants, wear metals are very low for 8k miles on factory fill. Detroit big three factory fill would have much higher wear metals even for half OCI or less.

Yes, air filter will work better after some miles, if you do another UOA you will see silicon drops substantially.

Zinc seems very low? Maybe a typo on their part? I would expect that to be in the typical 500-900PPM range.

Otherwise wear metals look great, especially being a factory fill. Definitely dispels the "change it early" myth.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
How long do you plan to run the Amsoil?

While under warranty I will probably run it down to 5%. Out of warranty I will figure out with UOA what the engine likes, hopefully around 15k on that oil.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Yes, air filter will work better after some miles, if you do another UOA you will see silicon drops substantially.

The higher silicon in this UOA isn't the result of dirt getting past the air filter though, it's silicon from the engine assembly process. So even though the air filter will indeed filter better with age, the main reason the silicon was high here was simply from it being a brand new engine.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

The higher silicon in this UOA isn't the result of dirt getting past the air filter though, it's silicon from the engine assembly process. So even though the air filter will indeed filter better with age, the main reason the silicon was high here was simply from it being a brand new engine.

Could also some of it be residue from the block casting procedure as they use sand molds (silica) to pour into?

Originally Posted By: dieselworld
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
How long do you plan to run the Amsoil?
While under warranty I will probably run it down to 5%. Out of warranty I will figure out with UOA what the engine likes, hopefully around 15k on that oil.
So about 10K or so?

I would change the Factory Fill ASAP, no matter what the UAO looks like.

Changing FF out early helps to establish a later baseline.

FF's don't establish anything even if you have a clean engine.

Silicon is most likely from new gasket compounds and shedding of the casting sand.

Originally Posted By: 90crvtec
Zinc seems very low? Maybe a typo on their part? I would expect that to be in the typical 500-900PPM range.

Otherwise wear metals look great, especially being a factory fill. Definitely dispels the "change it early" myth.

ZDDP was very low, and look at that ridiculously low calcium ppm! Lab error? Special low-detergent, low-zddp FF oil? Never seen that, but who knows? The high moly can make up for some of the AW-additive loss at that high 242 ppm moly level.

Also surprised at the low iron ppm, very rare to see that on an FF oil.

I sent a sample off to Blackstone as well but have yet to get it back. We will see if they are close when I get the results.

Originally Posted By: dieselworld
I sent a sample off to Blackstone as well but have yet to get it back. We will see if they are close when I get the results.

Cool! Thanks, that'll be a good case study of lab accuracy. Very unusual PPM results on some of their results.

Ok so I got the Blackstone report back and it seems to differ quite a bit in a few places from the Oil Analyzers report.

Also why cant I add this to my original post? The "Edit" button in not there, only on this post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back