2015 Golf R - high performance engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Golf R 2015 owner. Currently some 80 000 km on the clock. Living in the land of unlimited autobahn, I often find myself driving long distances at high speed (say over 200 km at speeds around 220 km/h), and "canyon carving" on the weekends.

The car has had the regular VW service till 70 000 km, i.e. oil changes every approx 15 000 km (the computer default is 20k km and decreases with my driving style).

I changed the oil myself this weekend for Castrol EDGE FST Titanium 5w30, VW 504 approved.

As such, I have noted two things:
- the engine oil heats up much quicker. Before, it would barely heat up on my city commute of approx. 15 Km (shutting down the car, it may show around 90 C). Now, at about half way, I see fully heated oil temps of around 100 C.
- the car seems to rev much easier

Checking previous invoices, it looks like Castrol SLX LL03 was used, which, from google, seems to be 5W30.

However, given the above, I wonder if the previous oil change was a 5w40 fill? I assume a 5W40 would explain both the prolonged time to heat up, as well as larger internal resistances = does not rev as easily.

Given that the warantee will expire soon, I plan to take matters into my own hands, and do oil changes every say 10 000 Km.

Given that the car is driven hard, should I run 5W30 or 5W40? And specifically, what brand/type? If possible, I would like an oil that is readily available in Europe, i.e. Castrol, Mobil, Millers, Motul, Ravenol, Valvoline... etc.

Thank you.

I would keep using the Castrol EDGE FST 5w30, the 504 oil is a high spec oil and a higher HTHS so its no problem for long high rpm runs.
100c is fine and nothing to be concerned about.

A thicker oil will generally run hotter due to oil shear.

That said if I'm sure any major brand oil that meets 502 or 504 would suit you well. My choice would be Castrol Edge 0w30 Dexos 2 as it's PAO based.

Thank you for the replies.

warmed up temps are around 100 C, when pushed the car will see around 115 C - 125 C. Currently, it seems like oil temps rise and drop faster with my latest oil change.

I am just trying to get my head around why the car feels so different now, compared to with the previous oil fill - in terms of warm up and acceleration. Above, Bailes1992 mentions that "a thicker oil will generally run hotter due to oil shear", which, if I previously has a 5w40 fill (just speculation) is contrary to what I have experienced... Or, was the fill before 5w30, just a different oil, that took twice as long to warm up, and had a higher heat capacity?

All in all, given my planned tuning - larger turbo, catless, etc. - is it safe to continue running on the Castrol Edge FST 5w30 in the long run?

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Trav
I would keep using the Castrol EDGE FST 5w30, the 504 oil is a high spec oil and a higher HTHS so its no problem for long high rpm runs.
100c is fine and nothing to be concerned about.

+1

Originally Posted by mike001100

All in all, given my planned tuning - larger turbo, catless, etc. - is it safe to continue running on the Castrol Edge FST 5w30 in the long run?

Thank you.

Sure, no problem.

I am just trying to get my head around why the car feels so different now, compared to with the previous oil fill - in terms of warm up and acceleration.

It's called spring.

Originally Posted by zorobabel

I am just trying to get my head around why the car feels so different now, compared to with the previous oil fill - in terms of warm up and acceleration.

It's called spring.

Well, considering that I have been daily driving the car, and the temperatures are the same more or less - say 10 C... I think it's more to do with the oil
wink.gif

21Rouge - great, thanks, will read.

With a 10C ambient temperature, it's pretty out there to think that the oil used would make your car warm up to 100C in 8km vs 90C in 15km.

There's no reason not to use a 504 oil in your environment, which will be a 30 weight, but a very thick 30 weight.

Also if you had 502 40 weight in it before, thicker oil actually typically takes less time to heat up, so I don't think that was the case.

I run the Pennzoil Euro 0w30 LX which is rebranded shell Helix Ultra in this same engine in a 2015 R spec Beetle, also no problem and also 100c oil temp in normal driving.

Doesnt make sense. Being faster to rev would mean less friction. And less friction means less heat. So i cant see how that oil is reducing friction and also heating up faster.
When i went from 5w30 to 5w40 i instantly saw the car struggle to build up its revs and engine ran hotter.
Dropped back to 5w30 and engine was much better again. More rev happy and took longer to warm up.

Originally Posted by slybunda
Doesnt make sense. Being faster to rev would mean less friction. And less friction means less heat. So i cant see how that oil is reducing friction and also heating up faster.
When i went from 5w30 to 5w40 i instantly saw the car struggle to build up its revs and engine ran hotter.
Dropped back to 5w30 and engine was much better again. More rev happy and took longer to warm up.

I see people make comments like these and I have to wonder if they'd be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

I see people make comments like these and I have to wonder if they'd be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

Well obviously there is a difference in the oil , and he can feel it , some people are more attune to slight differences , I put myself in that camp .

Last edited:
I went from the BMW 0w30 fuel efficient oil to Total 5w40 quartz 9000 and my little N20 turbo motor seems quieter and feels like the rpm's build quicker. I mainly switched for the higher HTHS. Being in socal, cold temps are not a considering factor for a 0 weight oil for me.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Well.. depends on the engine. Usual you can feel difference with a thinner oil vs thicker oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back