2015 Frontier with 180000 miles

Oil looked perfect however Blackstone said after 20000 miles the wear was like 500000 miles.

Starting to whine.

Oil looked perfect however Blackstone said after 20000 miles the wear was like 500000 miles.

Starting to whine.
diff failure at only 180k especially with such constant service? it's gotta be defective. If the engine doesn't burn or at least enough to matter during an oci and the trans and everything else is fine I'd spend the money on fixing it.

Starting to whine.
I have a 2008 Xterra (same drivetrain) with 387,000 miles. I also have a 2011 Frontier with 150,00 miles - also same drivetrain. I have had no issues with my diffs, but I have heard of pinion bearing failure on those on the Nissan boards. Is it the Dana or C200K - or if you don't know - what trim. Dana was used in the Pro4X as a locker, or in any manual trans version as open diff - everything else is C200K.

If its the more common C200K then the easiest solution is a low mile used one from a junkyard - easy enough to find. If it is not, then likely worth getting the Dana rebuilt by a reputable driveline shop.

Its definately worth fixing unless its rusty. They have a very reliable drivetrain overall thats simple to work on and parts are cheap. I am keeping mine forever.

Everything else is perfect. I think I found a differential with 20k miles for $900

Cheaper than a new $40k truck!
Hopefully it is 20k miles. I'd also bump to a syn 140 since that does help to prolong the inevitable on some diffs with wear issues.

With the excepting of the rear diff that looks like you have a replacement for, I say you are in good shape to push it to 300K miles easily with the kind of driving and maintenance regime you are doing.

You are kind of at the point were trade in value is not going to be detrimentally impacted whether you have 180K or 300K on it.

the 4.0 VQ is said to be a great engine + my 2011 will prolly outlast me as i bought it preowned a few years ago at 30 thou, + changed all drivetrain lubes ASAP, its a manual of course + other than typical rear axle seals BOTH all is WELL!!

Looks like the junky Nissan axle vent took it out
I believe the plugged vent hose thing on these Nissans blows the axle seals out.

The other anomaly with the C200K is the wheel bearings are greased and don't rely on gear oil from the differential. I don't know a lot about rear axles, so maybe this is a common thing.

Former Nissan tech. Yes the VQ loves thick 30 weight oil. A whole lot of enthusiast that have there’s serviced always used Mobil 1 FS 0w40 or Castrol Edge 0w40 which are both thick 30 weights. The dealer keeps the Mobil 1 FS 0w40 in stock bc of the GTR. As far as the radiator/trans cooler, the reason they failed is due to people not using phosphate coolant, which is the Asian coolant. When silicates are used that’s what damages the built in trans cooler in the radiator. I had a 06 frontier that had 357,000 miles in it and never had to put a wrench on it. I used the Mobil 1 0w40 from new changing at 7500 miles, changed coolant with the Nissan green every 30,000 trans fluid with Mobil 1 Multi vehicle ATF every 60,000 and rear end fluid with Mobil 1 75w90 fluid every 60,000. We also did bypass the in tank trans cooler to the built in liquid to air cooler that came from the factory on them. Trans temp was monitored and remained 150-170 degrees. No need to buy a new aftermarket cooler as it has one from the factory.
Those transmission coolers still failed under warranty with the OEM coolant. Different coolant chemistry was not at fault here.

Those transmission coolers still failed under warranty with the OEM coolant. Different coolant chemistry was not at fault here.
That came from an engineers mouth from Nissan! You do realize coolant is changed at 30,000 miles and most dealerships don’t use genuine Nissan phosphate coolant, they use generic all vehicle coolant etc. only genuine coolant that was used was the Nissan blue phosphate enhanced coolant for 2009 vehicles and later.

That came from an engineers mouth from Nissan! You do realize coolant is changed at 30,000 miles and most dealerships don’t use genuine Nissan phosphate coolant, they use generic all vehicle coolant etc. only genuine coolant that was used was the Nissan blue phosphate enhanced coolant for 2009 vehicles and later.
Truly curious. How do you what what coolant they use?

Replaced unit this weekend with a low mileage pull. All the gear facings where worn. Looked liked the corners of the gears where severally worn too. Very strange. Unit never abused.

Back