2015 Ford Transit 250, Duratec 3.7L V6 - Castrol GTX Ultraclean 5w-20 - 6,031 miles

Most recent UOA from one of the fleet Transit 250s. Looks pretty good to me. What do you think?

Funny enough, though, just this morning this engine developed a misfire on the #4 cylinder. It's pulled from service an it'll be going to the shop next week.

T1 BITOG 7.16.22.jpg

Wonder if it’s an injector? UOAs sure look pretty good! Other than a few issues with oil consumption, the Transit 3.7 was the best part of the ones we had, there’s a couple over 150K now (because we’ve had trouble getting new ones). How have your transmissions & rear axles been? That’s been most of the issues I’ve seen, drivetrains can’t handle the weight & towing.

Any idea what oils/filters were used previously?
7/2/15 - Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 - WIX XP
2/27/16 - Castrol Edge 0w-20 - WIX XP
7/15/17 - Mobil 1 HM 5w-30 - FRAM ULTRA
10/11/19 - Pennzoil Gold 0w-20 - MOTORCRAFT
3/27/21 - Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 - MOTORCRAFT

The filter on this one was a FRAM EXTRA GUARD.

Wonder if it’s an injector? UOAs sure look pretty good! Other than a few issues with oil consumption, the Transit 3.7 was the best part of the ones we had, there’s a couple over 150K now (because we’ve had trouble getting new ones). How have your transmissions & rear axles been? That’s been most of the issues I’ve seen, drivetrains can’t handle the weight & towing.
I was also thinking an injector issue. I highly doubt it's something internal to the engine. And we can't find new ones anywhere within 100 miles.

We have had two transmissions that needed the torque converter clutch replaced at around 50K miles (both under warranty). All of them have had the "permanent" repairs to the driveshaft coupling done. No issues with the rear ends, other than an axle seal leaking on one, and ours are loaded down with a minimum of 2,000lbs daily. We have had a couple broken tone rings on the rear axles though. Got one in the shop that's been sitting for 2 months waiting on the new axle/hub assembly to come in. It was pulled from service because traction control and ABS won't work.

These Cyclone engines are great units, espectially in the longitudinally mounted configuration because the pump is external. Wear on these engines is typically low, and this one is no exception. Nothing wrong at all with this series of UOAs.

Fix the misfire and keep on trucking! Let us know the root cause of the problem; just curious.

These Cyclone engines are great units, espectially in the longitudinally mounted configuration because the pump is external. Wear on these engines is typically low, and this one is no exception. Nothing wrong at all with this series of UOAs.

Fix the misfire and keep on trucking! Let us know the root cause of the problem; just curious.
I'll try to remember to post it when I find out. Might be a bit though. Shops around here are super backed up.

Misfire was caused by a bad coil pack. The #4 and #6 cylinders were both misfiring when they looked at it. Replacing all 6 of them, plus it's due for plugs anyway so they're doing that too. Should be good to go tomorrow.

I was also thinking an injector issue. I highly doubt it's something internal to the engine. And we can't find new ones anywhere within 100 miles.

We have had two transmissions that needed the torque converter clutch replaced at around 50K miles (both under warranty). All of them have had the "permanent" repairs to the driveshaft coupling done. No issues with the rear ends, other than an axle seal leaking on one, and ours are loaded down with a minimum of 2,000lbs daily. We have had a couple broken tone rings on the rear axles though. Got one in the shop that's been sitting for 2 months waiting on the new axle/hub assembly to come in. It was pulled from service because traction control and ABS won't work.
The '15 Transit 250 I had lost the TCC @ 80K, Ford couldn't get all the parts, so it sat at the dealer for 3 months waiting on the cradle, etc. Enterprise Fleet paid for it, bill was ~$6-7K IIRC, but they made their money back gouging the company on the rental! Glad they found the issue, with all the coil packs wired together a bad one can cause weird issues.

Back