2015 Ford Focus 2.0L, Factory Fill, 2264 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The viscosity numbers look pretty low for a "new" oil. Lightweight "lite"? I don't know what fill oil is supposed to look like though.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
The viscosity numbers look pretty low for a "new" oil. Lightweight "lite"? I don't know what fill oil is supposed to look like though.

Seemed on the thin side to me too. Refilled with new Ford filter and Castrol Extended Performance 5W-20.

For a new motor it had less metal in it than I expected.

Scott

I see factory fill oil every day 12 hours a day when I do oil changes. fords factory fill is I believe MC synblend

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Seemed on the thin side to me too. Refilled with new Ford filter and Castrol Extended Performance 5W-20.For a new motor it had less metal in it than I expected.
Scott

A "20" oil can go pretty low in KV100 ! Can be as low as 5.6 (J300) yet you rarely see one get that low. So 7.7 doesn't sound too bad. Great choice in Extended Performance oil. Why not get the best available I say. Complete that with a Fram Ultra oil filter or Microgreen, and get the small stuff out o' there.
Focus must be a great car to drive.
Your iron level was very low for a new car. Maybe they improved their surface finishing or something.

Originally Posted By: car51
I see factory fill oil every day 12 hours a day when I do oil changes. fords factory fill is I believe MC synblend

Makes you wonder why FF oil couldn't be just about anything really. Unless their is active marketing going on like Mobil1 FF ads, that FF oil could be ANY cheapest meeting-spec stuff they can scrounge up in big barrels for cheap, like Coastal, SuperTech, 76, etc.

What were you trying to find out from an analysis that soon? Seems like a waste of money.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Is is!. We have been pleasantly surprised. Long story short, my wife drives about 850 per week for her job. It made no sense burning up her BMW, so she was using the Element instead. The Element, as much as we love that thing, is pretty basic transportation given the amount she drives. 99% of it is highway and the Element only gets about 23mpg. So far the Focus is returning just shy of 36mpg combined. This will reduce our fuel bill by about $200 per month. Plus, the Focus is much more quiet and comfortable with several nice features the Element did not have (SAT radio, Bluetooth, leather, etc.). My wife LOVES leather. Heh heh...

Scott

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

. So far the Focus is returning just shy of 36mpg combined. This will reduce our fuel bill by about $200 per month. .

Exactly. On a side note, I'm wondering why a Focus buyer might choose the 1.0L (yes, not a typo, you can really get a Focus that has only one liter) 3-cylinder turbo model when the naturally aspirated 2.0L gets about the same fuel economy and power is more (by a full 37 hp!!!) with the 2.0L.
MtqenqL.jpg

Pictures of the Focus...

Titanium model, Platinum Metallic White, 18" wheels with 235/60 Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires, DCT transmission ("automated" manual transmission with dry clutches). Ford's DCT has gotten a bad rap on the earlier Focus models (2011-ish), but they've supposedly worked out many of the bugs. They say the DCT improves MPG by 10% over a conventional automatic.

And my wife's BMW we were trying to "save"...

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
What were you trying to find out from an analysis that soon? Seems like a waste of money.

I tend to agree. Looks great

Getting an analysis during breakin is a waste of money. I would wait after engine breaks in. You will always see elevated metals. Nothing learned.

Hello:

I did this UOA only as a matter of curiosity. Does anyone really think I would be surprised by elevated metals? I wasn't, I was simply curious as to how high they would be. I was also curious as to the additive package in the FF.

A few have said this the UOA was a "waste of money". I "waste"more money on a bottle of wine during a middle of the week dinner of left overs than I did with the UOA. Money is not an issue for me and my immediate family. I earned it. Working hard and smart can do this for people.

The UOA was nothing more than a FWIW. If people like me, who have money to "waste", choose not to post our UOAs and VOAs, it'll be to the detriment of BITOG.

Scott

Hello:

I did this UOA only as a matter of curiosity. Does anyone really think I would be surprised by elevated metals? I wasn't, I was simply curious as to how high they would be. I was also curious as to the additive package in the FF.

A few have said this the UOA was a "waste of money". I "waste"more money on a bottle of wine during a middle of the week dinner of left overs than I did with the UOA. Money is not an issue for me and my immediate family. I earned it. Working hard and smart can do this for people.

The UOA was nothing more than a FWIW. If people like me, who have money to "waste", choose not to post our UOAs and VOAs, it'll be to the detriment of BITOG.

Scott

Perhaps you should run for president.

P
Pictures of the Focus...

Titanium model, Platinum Metallic White, 18" wheels with 235/60 Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires, DCT transmission ("automated" manual transmission with dry clutches). Ford's DCT has gotten a bad rap on the earlier Focus models (2011-ish), but they've supposedly worked out many of the bugs. They say the DCT improves MPG by 10% over a conventional automatic.

And my wife's BMW we were trying to "save"...

Maybe they've worked the bugs out of the DCT for the 2015 models. Yet they most assuredly have not for the 3/4 of a million or so 2012-2104 models out there. Ford continues to bring out new software and extend warranties for clutches, software and now the transmission control module that also seems to fail prematurely.

I own a 2012 and am on my second clutch and maybe fifth software generation and it still isn't right. It's a wonderful car otherwise but I'll confess it's wearing me down.

The Focus DCT has to be the biggest engineering disaster for Ford in decades and I really doubt you'll see it continue with the next Focus redesign. I too am pleased with the fuel economy, but if you read Ford's literature carefully, the 10% fuel economy improvement attributed to the DCT probably a comparison to a conventional 4 speed automatic. The savings over 6 speeds common today would be lots less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back