2015 F150 6R80 Transmission Fluid Question

I'm at 60k going to be doing a transmission fluid exchange soon. I'm also going to do a drain/fill of the transfer case fluid. Ideally I'd like to use MaxLife as I have some on hand and use it in my kids RAV4. I realize MaxLife is not a "licensed" product for Mercon LV but is "recommended" instead. that part I'm ok with. Any issues to be aware of using MaxLife instead of LV in the trans or trans case? Or hey kid, stick with Mercon LV and don't change it? Is one better than the other?

Edited to add: I find it interesting Rock Auto offers Motorcraft LV as well as MaxLife under the transmission drop down menu.

As long as it's just a chain drive transfer case and doesn't have any sort of viscous couplers / clutch packs for AWD, the transfer case really won't care what is in it. It just wants a light fluid to lubricate. It's just more convenient to use the same fluid as the transmission when it's running down the assembly line. Later in life, when it's time to service, the manufacturer makes money on their marked up trans fluid for something that doesn't care.

Use what it's designed for. "Drop down menu" mean nothing. Mercon LV widely available and is a quality fluid. There is no more horse.

Meh, I'm partial to just using the same fluids in these situations.. May cost a little bit extra, but to me its cheap insurance.

Meh, I'm partial to just using the same fluids in these situations.. May cost a little bit extra, but to me its cheap insurance.

I tend that direction but wanted to ask. Motorcraft LV and MaxLife are within a few $ of eachother per 4 quart jug.

I'm at 60k going to be doing a transmission fluid exchange soon. I'm also going to do a drain/fill of the transfer case fluid. Ideally I'd like to use MaxLife as I have some on hand and use it in my kids RAV4. I realize MaxLife is not a "licensed" product for Mercon LV but is "recommended" instead. that part I'm ok with. Any issues to be aware of using MaxLife instead of LV in the trans or trans case? Or hey kid, stick with Mercon LV and don't change it? Is one better than the other?

Edited to add: I find it interesting Rock Auto offers Motorcraft LV as well as MaxLife under the transmission drop down menu.
Has Ford done away with the drain plugs in the torque converters? I have a 98 F150 with a 4R100 in it (yes, the right option package got you a 4R100 instead of the 4R70 until the 2000 model year) and because of the drain bolt, I can get 16 QTs out of it during a fluid change.

A BW transfer case won't care what is in it, DEX3/MERC all the way to LV and Chrysler fluids too. Several truck manufactures use BW T-cases and spec their own fluids for them. My BW4406 T-case has a tag on it that says "MERC only"

Has Ford done away with the drain plugs in the torque converters? I have a 98 F150 with a 4R100 in it (yes, the right option package got you a 4R100 instead of the 4R70 until the 2000 model year) and because of the drain bolt, I can get 16 QTs out of it during a fluid change.

A BW transfer case won't care what is in it, DEX3/MERC all the way to LV and Chrysler fluids too. Several truck manufactures use BW T-cases and spec their own fluids for them. My BW4406 T-case has a tag on it that says "MERC only"
The TC drain plugs are long gone.

I ended up going with Motorcraft LV. $22 per 5 quart jug on RockAuto. Discount code covered much of the shipping xharge. Ends up cheaper than maxLife which is about the same price BUT in a 4-quart jug at WallyMart.

Toyota is using BW t-cases on the Tundra and Tacoma, but calls for the same OE Transfer Fluid LF as the GX460/4Runner that use Aisin or Toyoda t-cases for some odd reason.

Back