2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
See whats different here... USE ONLY OILS CERTIFIED BY THE API...

The correct answer is that is the owners manual for a ford focus

Amsoil has no way guaranteed their oil for that car because it doesnt meet the required chrysler spec.

Meanwhile Dodge dealer decides to say its an oil related failure.. guess where you are going to go..
no where fast.

Hyundai dealers routinely send out ATF samples before even tearing into a transmission problem.. The car owner also regularly gets boned for the repair.. if they used anything besides OEM ATF.

Nice car, OP.

FWIW, I'm not using the factory recommended oil in my SRT either. But I voided the warranty when I modified the drivetrain anyway.

Plus the vehicle computer know your driving history in terms of speed and how fast you accelerate, the maximum speed you have ever gone and if it was regularly done on cold engines etc. They have any excuse not to pay out anyway.

Always always always have a great relationship with your service team at the dealer. Coffee/Donuts makes a lot of warranty claims an easy experience.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Nice car, OP.

FWIW, I'm not using the factory recommended oil in my SRT either. But I voided the warranty when I modified the drivetrain anyway.

I was going to say it may not be long before I void the warranty anyway. A smaller supercharger pulley, one piece aluminium driveshaft and a tune may be in order next year.

Very Nice Car. My friend has one but in Black. He also has 16 Z28. Did you get your supercharger replaced yet? Recall on those if I am not mistaken? Bearing failures. My friend already got his replaced.

So cool to see a US Manufacturer have the Nads to build cars like this. I am not a huge Dodge Fan, but MUCH RESPECT to them for building these amazing cars.

Personal favorite? Jeep Trackhawk.
25.gif

Curious to why not consider Redline Oil for this application? The heat this engine must produce, Redline is a top choice for hot running engines.

Jeff

I'm really interested in knowing the moly content of the amsoil 0w-40 as the pennzoil Srt has a good dose and the whole sso line has Atleast 100ppm on the uoa's I have seen. Also the zddp levels.

I take it the 704 and 596 are zinc and phosphorus. Wow. In line with SN levels but seems low for a 707 HorsePower car or a Nissan Gtr.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
turboaccord1 said:
I'm really interested in knowing the moly content of the amsoil 0w-40 as the pennzoil Srt has a good dose and the whole sso line has Atleast 100ppm on the uoa's I have seen. Also the zddp levels.

183 ppm of moly, according to this:
http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/31085-amsoil-signature-series-0w-40/#

I must admit I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the makeup of oil and the additives but I think I understand the basics.

I feel like an oil with a more aggressive anti wear additive package would be better for this application than an oil centered more around extended drain intervals. I am pretty sure most people with a vehicle that requires or recommends the specifications that this oil covers are not doing extreme extended oil change intervals but drive the absolute snot out of them. In fact I've seen over the years enthusiast that own vehicles like mine tend to dump oil like crazy thinking they are doing the vehicle a favor changing it super early.

Like I said in a previous post I wish amsoil offered an oil like dominator in the 40 weight range. Who knows the engine may not even need something like dominator but it would help me sleep better at night.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turboaccord1
turboaccord1 said:

I must admit I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the makeup of oil and the additives but I think I understand the basics.

I feel like an oil with a more aggressive anti wear additive package would be better for this application than an oil centered more around extended drain intervals. I am pretty sure most people with a vehicle that requires or recommends the specifications that this oil covers are not doing extreme extended oil change intervals but drive the absolute snot out of them. In fact I've seen over the years enthusiast that own vehicles like mine tend to dump oil like crazy thinking they are doing the vehicle a favor changing it super early.

Like I said in a previous post I wish amsoil offered an oil like dominator in the 40 weight range. Who knows the engine may not even need something like dominator but it would help me sleep better at night.

FWIW, and this is not a recommendation, but I'm using Castrol Edge 0w-40 Euro, which is 25-50% PAO based on the most recent MSDS posted here. An older VOA can be found here:
Castrol Edge 0w-40 SN VOA

Mobil 1 0w-40 "FS" has higher AW additive levels as well:
Mobil 1 0w-40 "FS" VOA

There was a period where Castrol recommended their 0w-40 for SRT applications, but that appears to no longer be the case, not sure why.... May have to do with our earlier discussion.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: turboaccord1
turboaccord1 said:

FWIW, and this is not a recommendation, but I'm using Castrol Edge 0w-40 Euro, which is 25-50% PAO based on the most recent MSDS posted here. An older VOA can be found here:
Castrol Edge 0w-40 SN VOA

Mobil 1 0w-40 "FS" has higher AW additive levels as well:
Mobil 1 0w-40 "FS" VOA

There was a period where Castrol recommended their 0w-40 for SRT applications, but that appears to no longer be the case, not sure why.... May have to do with our earlier discussion.

I run that oil (castrol 0w-40) in my 2.5 5 cylinder Volkswagen Passat. And I have been eye balling the Mobil 1 0w-40 also. On paper it looks realy Stout. Plus I have yet to find a Walmart that does not stock it.

I did find a UOA of the amsoil sso 0w-40 on a mustang forum. Apparently the car was drivin hard at a track event on this oil.

Last edited:
Excellent report for that many miles if they were beating on the engine at the track. The calcium may be lower now as they reformulated most of their oils for LSPI. Maybe check with Pablo on it.

The Mobil 1 0w-40 has about 300 Ppm more zinc and phosphorus but the amsoil had about three times as much moly and the viscosity is in the upper range for a 40 weight. The Coyote 5.0 (dohc 32 valve, high compression ratio, higher revving in nature) is a different animal than the 6.2 in my Hellcat. It looks like after 6000 miles the oil sheared to around where the Mobil 1 and castrol edge euro start at around 12.5-12.8 cst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back