2015 Chrysler T&C 3.6L Serpentine Belt

My lovely van is at 120k miles and I am still on the original serp belt. It looks fine but I want to get it replaced sooner rather than later. I was going to go with the Dayco 5060770 or the MOPAR. Any differences worthwhile between the two?

My main reason for this post though is to ask if there is anything else that should be replaced with the serp belt? It seems all the pulleys sound/look fine so I assume replacing the belt should be adequate but I'm always up for opinions from BITOG's vast experience.

Reactions: JC1
With that many miles I'd do the whole thing. Belt, tensioner and pulleys, as long as they pulley bearings aren't cheap offshore junk.

You went 120,000 miles on the original MOPAR belt. Why are you even questioning what to replace it with if the price difference is that small?

Because I have read that Dayco belts are better than OEM on this board previously. If they are as good or better and I can save $17, seems easy.

I'd probably go with an OE belt and an OE tensioner and call it a day. In the event you don't use an OE belt, I would use nothing but an OE tensioner.

I would definitely use the OE tensioner but it is $200+ so I am going to squeeze more life out of it hopefully.

I had a dayco timing belt stretch way too early at 36k miles years ago, forcing premature replacement. Ive not used them since, though I’m sure they be fine with a serpentine. Those vehicles have a low tension belt, facilitated by an overrun clutch on the alternator ($60+ pulley). It may be worth replacing the tensioner idler while you’re at it. If you want the better belt, I’d lean towards mopar.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the MOPAR belt and MOPAR idle pulley for now. The tensioners on these are very strong/robust. I'm going to wait until I do the belt and see if the tensioner feels week at all because $200 is a bit much at this point and I think i'd start hearing warning signs when the tensioner starts going bad.. Based on what I have seen, I dont think these tensioners fail very often.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the MOPAR belt and MOPAR idle pulley for now. The tensioners on these are very strong/robust. I'm going to wait until I do the belt and see if the tensioner feels week at all because $200 is a bit much at this point and I think i'd start hearing warning signs when the tensioner starts going bad.. Based on what I have seen, I dont think these tensioners fail very often.
Buy a Mopar belt. Remove the idler pulley and measure the bearing size. If you have a press, you can press out the bearing and replace it for a small price compared to the complete pulley.

I put a gates kit from Rock Auto on a 2013 3.6 caravan a couple years ago at 170k miles. It's been 50k miles, still quiet and no noise on wet morning startups like it was starting to do before I replaced it.

Back