2015 Acura TLX 3.5L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2015 TLX with the 3.5L V6 that has variable cylinder management (VCM). I installed an S-VCM Controller to disable the VCM (it's a totally different car now and now drives exactly like a performance luxury car should), but one of the things that can be caused by the VCM is oil consumption. I have not had the car long enough to know for certain, but I have not noticed any issues with oil consumption so far. I did a little searching in the oil analysis section and didn't find anything for an Acura TLX or anything for the Honda/Acura 3.5L V6 to see what others are seeing with their oil and if any particular oil is doing well. I'll probably have a UOA done once I'm on a second round of known oil and I'll plan to follow the OLM for now. I'm pretty sure that it's running Acura brand oil from the dealership currently, but am planning to switch it to Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

When I've pulled the dipstick I'm reminded of the Mazdaspeed3 that I owned a few years back that was also direct injection and very hard on oil. The oil definitely had a fuel smell to it with the Mazdaspeed3 and I have noticed the same thing with the Acura.

Anyone have any experience with oil in the Acura/Honda 3.5L V6 engine or can point me to something that I missed in my searches?

It's sludging. Either solved by frequent oil changes (one of the few reasons to do so) or by using a better oil. I haven't heard of the Honda VCM issue in newer engines, whether it's from the switch to 0W-20 or due to a fix. In any case, I heard using Mobil 1 or similar didn't result in any issues.

Replaced the PCV valve yet? A stuck PCV Valve caused oil consumption in my 05 Pilot 3.5L. Replaced it, problem solved, no more need to add between oil changes.

I don't think you've got enough data to go on. Drive the car for a while and monitor it for oil usage, then decide from there.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
It's sludging. Either solved by frequent oil changes (one of the few reasons to do so) or by using a better oil. I haven't heard of the Honda VCM issue in newer engines, whether it's from the switch to 0W-20 or due to a fix. In any case, I heard using Mobil 1 or similar didn't result in any issues.

I assume that you mean that the Honda/Acura 3.5L V6 is slugging in general? I have not seen that reported anywhere, though it's certainly possible.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Replaced the PCV valve yet? A stuck PCV Valve caused oil consumption in my 05 Pilot 3.5L. Replaced it, problem solved, no more need to add between oil changes.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
I don't think you've got enough data to go on. Drive the car for a while and monitor it for oil usage, then decide from there.

I've only had it for a few months and the OLM is still at 40%, but I have not noticed any oil consumption. I'll check it again tomorrow since we just got back from a 1,600+ mile trip. I'll probably get the oil changed a little early just to reset it with oil that I am familiar and so that I know that it was done rather than the dealer possibly just resetting things.

Originally Posted by deven
Are you a member on acurazine? Apparently a lot of people there recommend against buying a 2015 TLX.

I am a member there and you're correct that the 2015 TLX isn't a highly recommended car. In retrospect, it may not have been the best purchase, but at this point I love driving the car for the most part and will just see how it goes. Installing the S-VCM Controller has successfully disabled the VCM which should resolve/avoid several of the primary issues with the car.

OP- I have the same car ( though SHAWD) and knock on wood, basicly love it. Had a few issues to get sorted out under warranty (highway speed vibration, HPFP replaced) and got a VCM muzzler and better rubber. All good now @ 40k.
Regarding oil, I've been doing my own with full synthetic deal of the weekend ( usually PP or Valv Advanced) per the OLM @ 90% or so and all's good from what I can see. First UOA will be in a few months. Hopefully all copacetic. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Originally Posted by blackdiamond
Originally Posted by y_p_w

I assume that you mean that the Honda/Acura 3.5L V6 is slugging in general? I have not seen that reported anywhere, though it's certainly possible.

No. I was referring to the early versions of the Honda VCMs sludging with conventional oil changed when the maintenance minder said it was at 10% or less. It seemed that more frequent oil changes or using a more sludge resistant oil prevented the sludge from forming.

If you're using Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, or even SuperTech 0W-20 you'll be fine even with the VCM active.

Originally Posted by noclutch
OP- I have the same car ( though SHAWD) and knock on wood, basicly love it. Had a few issues to get sorted out under warranty (highway speed vibration, HPFP replaced) and got a VCM muzzler and better rubber. All good now @ 40k.
Regarding oil, I've been doing my own with full synthetic deal of the weekend ( usually PP or Valv Advanced) per the OLM @ 90% or so and all's good from what I can see. First UOA will be in a few months. Hopefully all copacetic. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

I'll try to remember to look for your UOA. I'm just shy of 51,000 miles and don't plan to do a UOA until the second run of the same known oil which will be Mobil 1 Extended Performance unless someone has a compelling reason to do something else. My OLM is currently at either 30% or 40%, but I might change it early and get a known oil in the car.

I think my brake rotors are slightly warped as there is some vibration under medium braking in the 60-75 mph range.

I need to get the Service Bulletin 16-012 because it definitely has the surge while braking and the transmission feels like it should downshift a little quicker. It really feels like the transmission is upshifting when I touch the brakes. I wish I had known this before the trip as I just took it in for Service Bulletin 17-011 for the ATF heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back