2015 2.5L Mazda CX-5

IMG_20210909_193525.jpg
HI all,
I had an oil change the other day. Immediately upon leaving the shop my car experienced lurching. It came and went at low speeds. Upon reaching 40mph my car shuddered and lost power and the dash lit up. Code was cylinder 4 misfire. The spark plug was bad. The mechanic replaced all 4 spark plugs. I looked at the invoice and the shop put in 6 quarts (supposed to be 4.8). Attached is an image of the oil level (white line is height of oil, arrow is max fill on dipstick). Could that much oil have affected the cylinder and damaged the spark plug? The mechanic thinks it's coincidence but the engine had no issues before the oil change. Thanks!

Yeah. The invoice shows they added 6qts. I don't know if that isn't accurate or I wonder if they didn't completely drain it before adding. Anyway, it's way too much oil and when I turned out of the shop the car started lurching and misfiring. It would seem related to me. Mechanic doesn't think so (doesn't want any blame).

Find another mechanic.

A lot of oil change people don’t let the sump fully drain like you and I. Time is money to them.

The CX5 is a very easy vehicle to change the oil on. Do it yourself and not only do you save money but you know the job was done well and you know exactly what is in the sump.

Find another mechanic.

A lot of oil change people don’t let the sump fully drain like you and I. Time is money to them.

The CX5 is a very easy vehicle to change the oil on. Do it yourself and not only do you save money but you know the job was done well and you know exactly what is in the sump.
Thanks. Yeah I won't be going back and I've had a bad run of mechanics so plan to do more work myself.

most definitely is overfilled. they probably did not let it drain for more then 30 secs, then added 5 QTS of oil. I let my cars drain for 1-2 hours sometimes while i detail them, or clean the interiors, and every time, i added MORE then the book says to get it back to full mark on dip stick. Last oil change on the sonata, i added almost a full qt more, over what the suggested oil fill up of 4.8 QTS. I added 5.6 ish qts to bring it back to full after a 2 hour drain..

To echo time is money, and most mechanics want you in and out in 10 mins flat so they can move onto next vehicle.

I would have freaked out. That is way over filled, mistakes happen but shouldn't. I honestly have no idea but I would be wondering if there was any engine damage, need an expert who knows that engine inside and out to answer that and if no damage could the plug have been affected.

We have a 2012 Skyactive I do my own changes as all my vehicles. I just find it faster and more easy. The Mazda as someone else posted is super easy and so is my Chevy Traverse (which does actually take 6 quarts) Just not worth the hassle for me and such a critical component as oil.

Which reminds me, less then 10 years ago my daughter took her car with my wife to get an oil change at Sears, I was working and didnt want to bother but when I got home from work I did my due diligence and checked the oil and filter, they weren't changed, still the old oil and filter.
Went back to Sears freaked out on the manager and he swore he saw the "kid" had the car on the lift, had me bring the car into the building, all the mechanics came around to it, looked and said "nope" it wasnt changed. Another mechanic said he saw the kid put it on the lift and go out back and smoke a cig.

BTW - I am sure they just overfilled it, hot oil drains pretty darn fast I dont wait more then a couple minutes and no way would there have been that much oil left over to make it that high on the dipstick, that is crazy high!

Back