2014 VW Jetta tdi - twisted oil filters

Hi everyone, I'm curious to know what may be going on with my friends 2014 Jetta tdi. I've done the last 3 or 4 oil changes for him, including one today, and the oil filters I've been putting in have been coming out quite twisted... At least, the last 2 have, and pretty sure the ones before that also came out twisted. The cars last few oil changes have been on average, 17000km interval, which is quite a lot, but, this car has been getting its oil changed every 6 months as its been driven alot, and I've always put either mobile 1 Esp 5w30 or pennzoil euro lx 0w30, along with either Mann, mahle, or hengst filters.

So with that said, I suppose the extended interval could of course be a contributing factor, but, today's oil change was done with only 12400km on last filter and roughly 8 months ago, and the filter was still twisted... The picture below shows the latest oil filter in question which was a Mann filter, and the oil that came out was mobil 1 5w30 Esp

Attachments

• 20220531_130537.jpg
    20220531_130537.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220531_130551.jpg
    20220531_130551.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 43
Are you overtightening them? :unsure:

Try the Purflux L267D. It has special chevron pleating that is intentionally wavy and should not buckle in service.

I have a 2011 and mine come out about the same. I was woried about it a few years ago but I kinda dont worry any more. I use different oils in the 5w30 VW 507 00, Total, Castrol, etc and no difference. I'm at 140k miles now.

Hi everyone, I'm curious to know what may be going on with my friends 2014 Jetta tdi. I've done the last 3 or 4 oil changes for him, including one today, and the oil filters I've been putting in have been coming out quite twisted... At least, the last 2 have, and pretty sure the ones before that also came out twisted. The cars last few oil changes have been on average, 17000km interval, which is quite a lot, but, this car has been getting its oil changed every 6 months as its been driven alot, and I've always put either mobile 1 Esp 5w30 or pennzoil euro lx 0w30, along with either Mann, mahle, or hengst filters.

So with that said, I suppose the extended interval could of course be a contributing factor, but, today's oil change was done with only 12400km on last filter and roughly 8 months ago, and the filter was still twisted... The picture below shows the latest oil filter in question which was a Mann filter, and the oil that came out was mobil 1 5w30 Esp
That would be a little unsettling to see in my book. Only cartridge type oil filter on an automobile that I ever change (2016 Camry) has never looked twisted. Used to change a couple old Farmall tractor cartridge type oil filters years ago, and they never looked twisted .

Are you snapping the filter into the cap prior to inserting it into the housing? Check the socket that the o-rings go into inside of the housing and ensure that it's unobstructed. I drove one of these cars for 6 years and never had a filter look that bad. Some distortion is to be expected but this is excessive.

Are you overtightening them? :unsure:

Try the Purflux L267D. It has special chevron pleating that is intentionally wavy and should not buckle in service.
No as there is no way to even overtighten, the cap eventually stops on its own. I tested it by tightening it to 25NM as it says on the cap, and then tried to tighten more (slowly), but it doesn't turn once its torqued to 25NM

Are you snapping the filter into the cap prior to inserting it into the housing? Check the socket that the o-rings go into inside of the housing and ensure that it's unobstructed. I drove one of these cars for 6 years and never had a filter look that bad. Some distortion is to be expected but this is excessive.
Yes I am, along with changing the big o ring at the top of the cap that comes with every new filter. I can't do much except monitor, and perhaps tell my friend to do 10000km change intervals

Our 2014 Jetta never had this issue. It was not TDI but shares a similar oil filter design (cartridge). Used only OE filters, no problems.

I can also report my 2014 Jetta TDI's oil filters looked the same upon removal. No problem with the OCI interval; 16k kms is what the book requires.

You can try the zig-zag OE style filter (see here) and that should minimize the issue. No real harm that I could detect, just didn't like seeing it.

Back