2014 Toyota Venza 2.7 AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had oil change done at dealer. It's a 2014 Toyota Venza 2.7 AWD (4 cylinder and 4,300 miles, normal service is 10,000 miles). Service manager said they use Toyota 0w-20 from the bottle. How likely is that? I also asked about my wipers and they replaced the inserts at no charge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kazual881
Just had oil change done at dealer. It's a 2014 Toyota Venza 2.7 AWD (4 cylinder and 4,300 miles, normal service is 10,000 miles). Service manager said they use Toyota 0w-20 from the bottle. How likely is that? I also asked about my wipers and they replaced the inserts at no charge.

If the dealer is at least conforming to the law, then the oil on the invoice/receipt should be the oil they used. The sales receipt is the binding legal document. What they say is anyone's game.

It's pretty likely they used TGMO, whether from the bottle or not. Toyota is one of the few manufacturers that stays on top of what goes into service fills.

Very likely. The wiper inserts are pretty cheap but that was nice of them. IIRC it's about 2 bucks per, though the wiper frame is in the 40 dollar range. Don't throw them out if you get aftermarket wipers, that's for sure.

Service manager said they use Toyota 0w-20 from the bottle. How likely is that?

It could be true, especially if it's an independent dealer without a major oil contract.

Our local Toyota dealer, for example, is part of the Hendrick Auto network, and they have a very large Quaker State contract (going all the way up to QS prominently on the Hendrick NASCAR cars). Their 0W-20 is (or at least was, when I had my '11 Camry serviced there) QSUD.

I know about the wiper frames. They are fairly enclosed or covered compared to say basic wipers. Might be to protect from snow/ice or better wiping from wind/air pressure at highway speeds.

I have a bunch of Mobil 1 5w-30 and some German Castrol 0W-30 that I stockpiled over the last 5 years. When done with the 2 year service given by toyota, can I mix some 5w or 0w-30 synthetic with the 0w-20 toyota calls for (replace 1 qt.)?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Service manager said they use Toyota 0w-20 from the bottle. How likely is that?

It could be true, especially if it's an independent dealer without a major oil contract.

Our local Toyota dealer, for example, is part of the Hendrick Auto network, and they have a very large Quaker State contract (going all the way up to QS prominently on the Hendrick NASCAR cars). Their 0W-20 is (or at least was, when I had my '11 Camry serviced there) QSUD.

Hendrick Automotive Group, over 90 dealerships, and Hendrick Motorsports are now using Valvoline oil.

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/...ick-Motorsports

"Valvoline will be the preferred oil poured by Hendrick Motorsports’ sister company, Hendrick Automotive Group, which operates 87 auto dealerships across the United States". September 2013

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Very likely. The wiper inserts are pretty cheap but that was nice of them. IIRC it's about 2 bucks per, though the wiper frame is in the 40 dollar range. Don't throw them out if you get aftermarket wipers, that's for sure.

The problem is you can't find any wiper insert at any parts store. You have to go to dealer to be able to buy it, and not all dealers have it either, the reason is they don't make much profit for low cost items. They rather sell $40 blade than $2 insert.

The price for each insert is about $8. If the cost is $2, markup of $6....that's a healthy profit. In a pinch I would get aftermarket rain x wipers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back