2014 Subaru - Need to use Subaru brand filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Will the 2010 Mazda RX-8 filter fit the FB20?

It has all the right stuff and I use it on my 2014 WRX.

This is the filter you want.

Wix/napa might have proper bypass psi, but it is a tiny little filter element. With the volume of oil subarus pump, I go with the larger filter surface. The only filter I've ever had an issue with an adbv was a wix on a Subaru. Ran one once because I had read how good a filter they are, was not impressed for my application. YMMV.

I run Roki filters, and will as long as I can continue to do so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Will the 2010 Mazda RX-8 filter fit the FB20?

It has all the right stuff and I use it on my 2014 WRX.

This is the filter you want.

Wix/napa might have proper bypass psi, but it is a tiny little filter element. With the volume of oil subarus pump, I go with the larger filter surface. The only filter I've ever had an issue with an adbv was a wix on a Subaru. Ran one once because I had read how good a filter they are, was not impressed for my application. YMMV.

I run Roki filters, and will as long as I can continue to do so.

Nothing wrong with a Tokyo-Roki filter. As a matter of fact when Subaru transitioned to the FB motors on the Legacy/Outback they came with Tokyo-Roki 160 filters. The Foresters came with 130's. But as time passed Honeywell developed the blue filter and the black Tokyo-Roki's disappeared. I found three on ebay and used them for the wifes first three oil changes. Only thing with using the Mazda filter I'm not sure it is the "correct" filter. In the unlikely event something happened, I'm not sure where Subaru would come down on it warranty wise.

With the Wix 57055, Napa 7055 or Carquest 84055 they are spec'd by Affina to fit. I can't see a way warranty would ever be an issue. Subaru or Wix would have to step up. While true they do have less media than others due to the bypass design, with a new car, a clean motor, and synthetic oil being spec'd, it should be no issue. I've run the Wix/Napa/Carquest filter for 5 oci's with no drama.

I know with all the Purolator torn media fiasco, BITOG has warmed toward Fram's fiber end caps, but I still can't bring myself to use them. A Fram Ultra with the proper Subaru spec and I'd be all over it, but I believe the Wix trio are superior to Honeywell's oem offering. My totally biased opinion.....
grin.gif

Last edited:
The 23 psi spec is based on a pressure differential. If the filter has better flow then you'll experience a lower dpsi. It is conceivable that a better flowing filter would go into bypass less often than one that simply has a heavier spring in it.

Does the vvt in the FB series employ a filter screen for the oil feed? IIRC, the high bypass was for turbo high performance use to prevent banjo fitting clogging on the turbo feed. No adverse effect on the EJ but on the FB don't know - maybe the EJ had a filter on the oil feed to the VTEC actuator too and I missed that? Hmmm ... .
Anyway, Im happy with the rokki's

Originally Posted By: Cardiac_RSd
The 23 psi spec is based on a pressure differential. If the filter has better flow then you'll experience a lower dpsi. It is conceivable that a better flowing filter would go into bypass less often than one that simply has a heavier spring in it.

Even at 12 GPM, which is about the max flow in a Subaru engine, hot engine oil only causes a 5 PSI delta across a PureOne oil filter. The oil filter tested by Purolator (PL14006) only has about 100 sq-in, which isn't huge by any means.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

PureOneflowdata.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Even at 12 GPM, which is about the max flow in a Subaru engine, hot engine oil only causes a 5 PSI delta across a PureOne oil filter. The oil filter tested by Purolator (PL14006) only has about 100 sq-in, which isn't huge by any means.

Yeah, but that's because the P1 has a gaping hole in the filter medium.
smirk.gif

27.gif

Originally Posted By: sopususer

A Fram Ultra with the proper Subaru spec and I'd be all over it....
grin.gif

Yep. "Tall" version please.

What's the PSID with the filter 50% loaded after being in service a bit - then add some gum and varnish ... Spec flow as-new is a good data point, but Id like to see tests with media partially loaded - and not just with SAE test particulate and add quick rpm ramps and PSI varying 5-10psi delta in <1 second as in real world racing conditions with throttle blipping for downshifts.

I have a '13 Subaru. I've used and will continue to use Wix/Napa/Carquest (all the same filter). They are well built and meet the Subaru specs. Easy to find and reasonably priced.

Wix 57055

This +1

There is another discussion on this same topic in the UOA section:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3427216/Pennzoil_Platinum_0W-20,_6256_#Post3427216

bluesubie gives a link to another forum where Motorking talks about some internal information from Fram that is very interesting.

I would have no worries to run a Fram Ultra after reading those posts (which is what I'm running on my Forester today).

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd

A Fram Ultra with the proper Subaru spec and I'd be all over it....
grin.gif

Yep. "Tall" version please.

you know it...7317 w/ 23psi..i'd be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back