2014 Scion FR-S, road and track oil recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What kind of vehicle you have

2014 Scion FR-S, no engine mods, though I am planning some sort of oil cooler setup before I start tracking the car regularly next year. 22k miles.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well

API grade SL "energy-conserving", SM "energy-conserving", SN "resource conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oil 0W-20, 5W-30, or API grade SL, SM or SN multigrade engine oil 5W-20.

Recommended OCI is 3750 for severe use, and 7500 for regular use.

3. Where you live

Central Ohio. It rarely gets really hot or really cold here, and it's a bit more damp than most of the rest of the US.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)

Fast. I autocross the car, I plan to track it next year, and in my regular driving I drive it quite hard.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)

~20 miles each way, mostly on rural roads (45-55 MPH speed limits), typically 5-15 minutes of sitting in traffic on the way out of town after work.

6. Whether your car has any known problems

Not a problem per se, but this might be the first time I've had a car with a built-in oil temp sensor that I can monitor and the temps seem high. Oil temps in regular driving get to 220F, and at the end of a (~1 minute) autocross run they're 230F. I realize these are not dangerous numbers, but I expected them to be closer to the coolant temp.

Other stuff:

I won't put dino oil into the car, though I'm open to all brands of synthetic.

I don't mind getting my oil online, especially if that's what it takes to protect the engine from harsh track use.

I plan to go over to 5w-30 for the track season, and run 0W-20 for the winter. This thread convinced me that 0W-20 is not suitable for the track in this car: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91820

The FR-S/BRZ forum fanboys are all slobbering over Motul, which I had hardly ever heard of before I got this car. I'm not opposed to the stuff, but I was wondering what you all thought before I blindly followed the crowd!

Thanks!

I would just run Mobil 1 0W-40 year around and not over think it. It is a 'thin 40' for your hot track days and 0W
Rated for your winter starts.

If I wanted to run a ultra high grade oil I'd personally use Redline based on personal experience in my 2002 Tacoma that was supercharged.

You could use 5w20, 0w30, or 5w30 which corresponds to a HTHS of 3.0/3.2/3.7 which is on the order of HTHS provided by an oil in the 30-40 wt range from a 20/30 wt oil. I've never run the 5w20 or 0w30 but had fantastic results at extended drains in my Tacoma with the 5w30 used to run it for 12,000 miles between changes. Should work out well for you, it handles fuel dilution and high temps well both of which you're likely to see racing your Direct Injection 2.0.

For an off the shelf oil, pick any name brand Synthetic in a 5w30. I personally wouldn't stray outside the suggested grade from the owners manual.

I got Motul Eco Lite 5w30 on eBay for the same price as WM M1 so that's what I'm using in my 16 BRZ. I am also using their Gear 300 in the trans and diff with good results so far. I have about 4K miles with 800 or so on the track. Car performs better with heavier engine oil on track, but others on here and ft86.com indicate 0w20 gave them lower oil temps. My results are otherwise. Dealer strongly recommended I switch to Rotella T6 fwiw.

Last edited:
Oil cooler will make the biggest difference and a readily top shelf 5w30 synthetic to run year round would be my plan. You dont want to over think it but Id definitely keep an eye on oil consumption.

M1 0W-40 if you're taking the car to the track. You can run it year round. Half a quart over fill may help as long as oil doesn't foam from crank contact.

Thanks guys, I looked into M1 0w-40. There are some guys running it on the track in their FR-S's, and it holds up very well to the combination of heat, shear, and fuel dilution.

I'll probably run it for my first track day, then do a UOA and report back. The nice thing is it's so cheap that I wouldn't mind changing it after every track day if that's necessary. I can also get my hands on Amsoil, Royal Purple, or redline very easily where i live, so I might experiment a little!

I plan on fitting the oil cooler from the turbo Forester. Unlike the air-to-oil oil coolers from aftermarket companies, this setup runs coolant though a fitting a the oil filter. It's cheaper, more OEM-looking, and hopefully it will be enough cooling to let me do 30 minutes at a time in the track. That said, how hot is too hot for a decent name brand synthetic? 260*? 270*?

I'll have to get back in the habit of checking the oil, I've gotten used to cars that burn no oil lately!

The maximum oil temp's you're seeing of 220F on the street and 230F when autocrossed aren't high enough to warrant running anything heavier than the spec' 0W-20 for you modestly powered FR-S.
The 0W-20 I'd recommend is Toyota's own 0W-20 made by Mobil for it's very high VI and above average AW additive levels.

Since you are planning on tracking your car, installing an oil cooler is an excellent idea and a coolant/oil heat exchanger even beneficial for normal street use by aiding in bring the oil up to temperature faster.You don't want to see oil temp's higher than normal if you can avoid it and it will preclude the questionable need to run an any heavier.

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Oil cooler will make the biggest difference and a readily top shelf 5w30 synthetic to run year round would be my plan. You dont want to over think it but Id definitely keep an eye on oil consumption.

My thinking exactly.

0w40 is a safe bet, but might cost you a some HP compared to a 5w20/5w30 on the track. Since you're installing an oil cooler, 0w40 might not be required. I would run M1 5w30 and do UOA after track day only after the engine has worn in.

If you can find it, give German Castrol 0W-30 a whirl. Great all season choice and excellent high temperature protection.

Since Subaru Japan recommends Euro 0W30 and 5W40 in hard driven BRZ's, here's another vote for a thick xW-30 like Euro Castrol or a thin xW-40 like M1 or Castrol.

Do lots of reading and searching at FT86 Club to see some of the issues they've had on thinner oils (e.g. bearing failures). CSG Mike and Mike from AZP Installs on FT86Club both have a lot of track experience with the 86. Off the top of my head, Mike from AZP has used Motul 300V 5W-30 in his 86 track car. Note my comment in the thread you linked where the oil came back as a 20 weight after use. I think he was uses the 8100 oils as well. I get my Motul from him when I get the itch to run it.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back