2014 Porsche Cayenne

For the last week the car has been flashing low coolant level and the temp gauge pegs for maybe 10-15 seconds when we first start the engine. Obviously a false reading. Coolant level appears to be fine. not sure why its getting both a low coolant and high temp as I would think these are 2 different sensors. after this happens the temp reading appears to go back to normal and doesn't have any other warning while driving, but seems to happen every time we start the car.

ANy thoughts?

Attachments

• 213BE9BC-DA92-42A4-8D4B-880617B437AC.jpeg
    213BE9BC-DA92-42A4-8D4B-880617B437AC.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 81
If the vehicle actually had low coolant than it stands to reason high temp would eventually result. That may be why the high temp reading is being triggered. Maybe a bad coolant temp sensor?

I would start by testing the coolant level sensor. A scan tool will diagnose it but I have no idea what you have for equipment or access to.

i had to buy a pretty nice scan tool for the oil changes, so I will see if i can figure out how to diagnose the coolant sensor

Time to pay the Porsche tax. Before you do, check to see if a VW part is available for the Touareg, it might be the same part and you won't get socked with the Porsche tax. Many identical parts are used on both vehicles.

Time to pay the Porsche tax. Before you do, check to see if a VW part is available for the Touareg, it might be the same part and you won't get socked with the Porsche tax. Many identical parts are used on both vehicles.
For sure! Porsche ignition switch $90. VW Beetle $10.50. Even cheaper at $7.00 for a no name on Rock. Same part number-same part. And dealer wants $700 to install. If you know what to do, its 10 min with a small screwdriver.

I hooked up my i-carsoft scanner but didn't make any progress. Couldn't get any codes or anything to display. Tried a few different times and couldn't really make any progress with the troubleshooting

I hooked up my i-carsoft scanner but didn't make any progress. Couldn't get any codes or anything to display. Tried a few different times and couldn't really make any progress with the troubleshooting
You may need Durametric to see Porsche-specific codes.

It doesn't look like a bad tool for basic maintenance but not advanced enough to get into the deeper parts of the system needed for advanced diagnostics. The OE type tools pay for themselves with each use if you intend on keeping the car long term, if it is not something you intend on keeping long you would probably be better off taking it to the dealer just to find out what has gone defective.

shoot, I hate that Thought i bought a good one.

should i take my chance and replace the coolant level sensor or fork over the cash and get the better diagnostic tool.

I would start by testing the coolant level sensor. A scan tool will diagnose it but I have no idea what you have for equipment or access to.

Put it in cold water to see how it reads. :)

Back