2014 Nissan Altima 3.5 VQ35a pp 5/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. This is my first oil analysis. 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5. 11k miles.
A mix of highway and city. Plenty of WOT runs while merging and passing since it is too much fun not to.
Any thoughts on my first report? Copper a concern this early in the engine's life?
Not sure how to get the image to display here.

[img:left]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxXNwJOYjq3eTWFKbkNKMzh5ekk/view?usp=sharing[/img]

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!!!!

Looks like a nice report. Slightly elevated levels are OK during the engine break-in process.

Use a quality synthetic lubricant and oil filter and your vehicle will bring years of satisfaction.

The Nissan engine tends to shear oil more than others so extended drains may not be prudent. Your UOA showed the oil going slightly into the 20-weight range, but I wouldn't worry about it right now.

Thanks! This one was with Pennzoil Power Plus 5w30. The current fill is Mobil 1 0-40 since I couldn't get PP at the time. I also just swapped out the OEM air filter with a fram that seems to have a better gasket, so hoping Si levels will drop on the next UOA.
Here is the code block in case my link breaks

Oil PP5w30
Miles in use 4400
Miles 11k
Sample Taken 11/16/14

Aluminum 10
Chromium 0
Iron 15
Copper 16
Lead 2
Tin 0
Molybendium 64
Nickel 1
Manganese 2
Silver 0
Titanium 1
Potassium 2
Boron 19
Silicon 19
Sodium 12
Calcium 2425
Magnesium 15
Phosphorus 715
Zinc 825
Barium 1

SUS Viscosity @210f 56.1
cSt Viscosity@ 100c 9.10
Flashpoint 420
Fuel Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.3
TBN 4.0

@ARCO

I haven't used the Nissan Oil Filters. I am actully using a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter.
I figured my Si level was more due to the oem air filter so I swapped that out at this 11k oil change.

Is 40 weight oil okay to use in your car with winter approaching? Your OM warns about using the correct viscosity based on the temperature. There was no other 0W or 5W-30 available anywhere?

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Is 40 weight oil okay to use in your car with winter approaching? Your OM warns about using the correct viscosity based on the temperature. There was no other 0W or 5W-30 available anywhere?

I think its fine. Its the 0w that counts in the cold. From what I have read, the Vq engines seem to do well with m1 0-w40
Also, it rarely goes below 0 here on the CT shoreline.
The OM also says the change interval is 3750, which i think is a bit too conservative.

Originally Posted By: tdijose
Originally Posted By: 6starprez

I think its fine. Its the 0w that counts in the cold. From what I have read, the Vq engines seem to do well with m1 0-w40
Also, it rarely goes below 0 here on the CT shoreline.
The OM also says the change interval is 3750, which i think is a bit too conservative.

Thats Nissans severe service, standard is 7500 and where I would change it if under warranty.

Tdijose,

No, that "zero-dub" is only realistically beneficial below -25C. Your 40 grade is substantially thicker everywhere than a 5w30. Engine should do OK though, and It may last 180K instead of 110K sonce the ACEA A3B4 is a better oil overall, especially of you "get on it" often
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Maxima with the VQ35DE and at 31,000 km the UOA showed copper at 164 ppm !!!

So you've got alot less to worry about than me! I take some comfort that for my car the Cu is not accompanied with elevated tin, lead, iron, nickle so it is not likely a bearing failure situation. I look forward to getting the Cu levels down to 16ppm :eek:)

I used PP & the Nissan filter last change, it is the one from Mexico made by Gonher Group. It looked well made from the outside...had a silicone ADBV.

That VQ is hard to not rev ! sounds so nice, feels so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back