2014 Kia Rio - Coil

Hi all,

My son came home and said the car is shaking. Check engine light is on. Started car and the engines about to jump off the mounts. I figured one of the cylinders are not firing or the crankshaft position sensor died. Pulled code and sure enough, cylinder 3. Swapped coil wiht number 2 and cleared check engine light. Yup, code switched to cylinder 2. So, picked up a coil at Oh Oh Oh O'Reilly for $57. My question is should I just replace all 4? Also, they have 4 packs of these on RockAuto and Amazon for like $50. Different brand names. Anyone ever tried these? Are they "worse" than what I just got from the auto parts store?

Thanks!

Todd

I would be hesitant to switch out known goods for a set of 4 that you picked up for less than the price of one. If your son lives far away, with 92k on the odo, I'd maybe recommend replacing all 4 with OE coils. If he's not prohibitively far away, and if not going the OE route, I'd simply replace the malfunctioned coil and leave the known good ones.

I'd add to this, you can get one or two of the Amazon coils (and the 10mm tools) to toss in the trunk and keep them around. If you find they don't last, you can always buy the more expensive ones.

I'd probably invest in a 4 pack from Rock Auto and keep them around.

If this was a V6 with major work needed to get to the back bank (like my daughter's Escape) I'd replace ALL of those in one go with OEM parts. With an I4 that is easy to reach, either one at a time, and/or buy some inexpensive replacements to keep around.

I'd also check the plugs to make sure they are not on their way out. Trying to fire a large gap cannot be good for marginal coils.

I would be hesitant to switch out known goods for a set of 4 that you picked up for less than the price of one. If your son lives far away, with 92k on the odo, I'd maybe recommend replacing all 4 with OE coils. If he's not prohibitively far away, and if not going the OE route, I'd simply replace the malfunctioned coil and leave the known good ones.

Thanks all. Yeah, I'll leave them but grab the cheapies to keep around in case. He lives at home (going to school. He's 19.) Spark plugs replaced with OEM plugs around 75K. He just hit 101K (need to update signature....)

In my experience with Fords, once you lose one, the rest aren't far behind. Might as well replace all of them.
My wife's 09 Flex had 1 fail about 2 years ago, replaced with a cheap one, the cheapo one failed 18 months later. My experience is totally opposite of yours. Replacing with cheap coils is not a good idea in my opinion. The factory coils (5 out of the 6) are still fine after 125k miles, the cheap replacement lasted maybe 15k.

My wife's 09 Flex had 1 fail about 2 years ago, replaced with a cheap one, the cheapo one failed 18 months later. My experience is totally opposite of yours. Replacing with cheap coils is not a good idea in my opinion. The factory coils (5 out of the 6) are still fine after 125k miles, the cheap replacement lasted maybe 15k.

The ones on my truck were all 17 years old when they started to go out. I replaced with OE coils, no point in running aftermarket ones.

Maybe we could start a thread on coils that don't cost a fortune and still work a few years later....I cannot make myself pay $70+ x 6

Back