2014 Jeep Wrangler Red Line? 5-20 or 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Nomad110
Originally Posted By: Billy007
Just use the recommended 5W-20. Chrysler switched the 3.6 from 5W-30 to 5W-20 in 2013.

Can you back this up with a reason that's beyond just the CAFE standards reason? Is the 5-20 really better for the engine then the 5-30?

There is a design flaw in the engine. 5w-20 cools the left head better and stops the left head from ticking.

I'm pretty sure they corrected the head issue in early 2013.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

I'm pretty sure they corrected the head issue in early 2013.

That seems to be the case.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Actually, the factory fill from Chrysler is either Shell or Pennzoil and that is far from swamp water?

Yep, I thought that strange.

In defence of Amsoil SS, though, we do have to realize that it is intended for extended OCIs (i.e. longer than manufacturers' recommendations). So, if you're using it as directed, you're already pushing one warranty issue aside from any API/ILSAC concerns.

Using Signature Series for OEM type intervals is a waste of money anyhow, so people who want to throw money away like that shouldn't worry about warranty. Amsoil has API certified oils; they're just a bit cheaper.

Nomad110, you seem to be of the opinion that only the most expensive synthetic oils are "good" and everything else is "swamp water". That line of thinking won't get you very far here on BITOG, because it's simply not true. Truth is you could run any conventional oil in your engine that carries the Chrysler spec, changed at the interval recommended in your owners manual, and chances are your engine will still outlast the rest of the vehicle. If for some reason you do have an engine problem, it won't be the oil that caused it.

You want data? One of the most knowledgeable and well respected members here recently did a 15,000 mile OCI on cheap Super Tech conventional from Walmart with great results, confirmed by a UOA. Pretty good for "swamp water".

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3164537/ST_5w-30;_15k_miles;_Villager_#Post3164537

Originally Posted By: Nomad110
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you can get Pennzoil Ultra at your local walmart, you can't beat it for about $27 a jug. Will give similar or better performance than boutique oils at a much lower cost if bought at that price.

Spare me the economic reasons...I want to know the best oil in a proven way. Cut to the chase with data and experience.

Trying to find the best oil is like proving where the end of the rainbow is, and that pot of gold.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back