2014 Jeep SRT8

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are optimum oil temps for a 0w-40 full synthetic.

I didn't beat on this truck that hard at all and I was seeing temps just north of 250 pretty easy.

Just cruising it stays near the 230-250 mark and we have pretty cool temps right now.

Thanks.

I think the reason why they spec the 40 grade oil is because they KNOW it will get up to 250, which is where a 30 grade would start to be too thin i suppose.

I see no reason to change anything unless those are out of line with other SRT users. Synthetic oils themselves can handle the temps easy, even closer to 300F in the sump, you just want to make sure the visc is correct for the temp and in this case i bet it is.

I think its a good thing if the oil hits 230F, so you know your getting the water off easily.

My car hit 300 degrees in a track event at Homestead in 2005. I emailed Mobil about it and was told that is NOTHING for that oil.

M1 0W-40 is right on my filler cap.

I haven't worried about it since. Over 200 dragstrip passes and countless track events and the engine is fine and eerily smooth at 100k miles...

Originally Posted By: Blackhatch
What are optimum oil temps for a 0w-40 full synthetic.

I didn't beat on this truck that hard at all and I was seeing temps just north of 250 pretty easy.

Just cruising it stays near the 230-250 mark and we have pretty cool temps right now.

Thanks.

TOTALLY normal for the 6.4/392, and doesn't hurt the oil whatsoever. In fact, the oil "cooler" acts as an oil heater during warm-up to get the oil up to temp faster. You shouldn't start pushing it until the temp is over 160, and Chrysler engineers say they aim for a *minimum* oil temp of 190 on the Pentastar v6 so I assume they Hemis are similar, or a little higher in the case of the 392 spec'd for 0w40 oil. My 392 runs about 220 cruising the toll road at a steady 80 mph, will run up over 230 if I play with it some. How many miles on yours? Mine always ran at 230+ until it reached about 10k-12k miles, and then I started seeing the average cruising temp decrease until its now typically 215-220 in normal driving, (220 at sustained 80 mph).

No such thing as "normal". Each motor is a bit different.

That being said, 230-250 is not a problem for something like M1 0w40.

Nice ride.

Pm SteveSRT and pick his brain in regards to proper break in and proper intervals until broken in.
The guy has a lot of experience with the SRT and high performance engines in general and he'd be my first call if I had your jeep.

Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Blackhatch
225 miles as of right now.

Very fresh engine. Make sure to dump that factory fill around 1,000 miles.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Nice ride.

Pm SteveSRT and pick his brain in regards to proper break in and proper intervals until broken in.
The guy has a lot of experience with the SRT and high performance engines in general and he'd be my first call if I had your jeep.

Welcome to the forum.

Factory oil is already out.

I have chatted up Steve a bunch. He knows his stuff.

Car has already been run to break in via progressive RPM and loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back