2014 Honda Odyssey AT Behavior

Our 2014 seems a ton of local service and short tripping. It has 86k currently. It starts and runs great. Shifts fine.

Ive done an ATF drain and refill every few 5k mike oil changes. ATF looks great.

What we’ve been observing, is when driving with everything at temperature, decelerating, if we then need to get to moving again at moderate throttle, the AT will slam into gear after a second of just acting normal. It’s like it catches.

Can’t do it around town. It seems to be a high to low speed transition. And it’s not all the time. We don’t drive with a heavy foot, so it’s not like a slip where the rpms flare up way high. Everything seems to continue normal, engine speed increases moderately, but then something goes into action and it’s a hard clunk. Then perfect business as usual.e

So any idea what might cause this? Good fluid, new fluid (Honda fluid) in there, easy use most of the time… so why would it all of a sudden start doing this? And what is the cause?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10108793-9999.pdf

Check this out - verify if you have a vin that is named in the TSB.

I use lubegard red and maxlife in our 15 ody - this combo got rid of the abrupt shifts every now and again.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10108793-9999.pdf

Check this out - verify if you have a vin that is named in the TSB.

I use lubegard red and maxlife in our 15 ody - this combo got rid of the abrupt shifts every now and again.
Yes that’s what I linked to above, 15-014, thanks!

I’m running DW-1 with LG Red. I feel like ages ago, @Trav indicated that amsoil in the earlier Honda ATs worked well… wonder if I should move on from DW-1?

Yes that’s what I linked to above, 15-014, thanks!

I’m running DW-1 with LG Red. I feel like ages ago, @Trav indicated that amsoil in the earlier Honda ATs worked well… wonder if I should move on from DW-1?
I prefer the engagement of maxlife in all of our hondas we owned..

DW-1 does not hold up well in the Odyssey.
Civic, perhaps.

I prefer the engagement of maxlife in all of our hondas we owned..

DW-1 does not hold up well in the Odyssey.
Civic, perhaps.
What objective evidence do you have to back this up?

I’m willing to jump with data.

What objective evidence do you have to back this up?

I’m willing to jump with data.
Spending a while on various odyssey forums.

Reading a lot of posts from oem fluid users.
Citing fluid and shifting degradation between 15-30k miles.
This always seem to go away when most of the fluid get switched to maxlife or another syn fluid.

Not to mention a big drop in trans temp during towing.

Dw-1 is a dino with a low flash temp compared to synthetic fluids.
Even honda issued a tsb for transmission fluid changes sooner than the computer would reccomend.

I have been using the Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent in the Honda/Acura cars I service. My niece's 2015 Oddy seems to like it.
Starting July 2021 I did 3 successive 5K spill-and-fills. Wendy was in TX before that so I did not service her van. Next oil change service I will service the trans as well. I will add a splash of LG Red for good luck. Currently has 154K on the clock...

Back