2014 Honda Odyssey AT Behavior

JHZR2

Staff member
Our 2014 seems a ton of local service and short tripping. It has 86k currently. It starts and runs great. Shifts fine.

Ive done an ATF drain and refill every few 5k mike oil changes. ATF looks great.

What we’ve been observing, is when driving with everything at temperature, decelerating, if we then need to get to moving again at moderate throttle, the AT will slam into gear after a second of just acting normal. It’s like it catches.

Can’t do it around town. It seems to be a high to low speed transition. And it’s not all the time. We don’t drive with a heavy foot, so it’s not like a slip where the rpms flare up way high. Everything seems to continue normal, engine speed increases moderately, but then something goes into action and it’s a hard clunk. Then perfect business as usual.e

So any idea what might cause this? Good fluid, new fluid (Honda fluid) in there, easy use most of the time… so why would it all of a sudden start doing this? And what is the cause?

We got a 2013 Odyssey EX-L with 90k+ miles on it. ATF gets changed not as frequent as yours, but it never slams in to gear as you had mention.

The van gets short trips and not used often either.

Have you checked your motor mounts? They'll sometimes sound/feel like transmission problems when they're shot.
I’m not entirely sure how to check these mounts, so no I haven’t… and I wouldn’t doubt that they’re due.

But there is never any vibration or NVH transmitted though.

Do you have vcm muzzled?

If not, the reactivation of all 6 cylinders can cause this due to sudden spike in torque, and this being caused by worn out engine mounts.

Since day 1.

Ive driven some older vehicles, older dodge ram CTDs with weak AT/pumps, and this feels like how they behave before warmup. I was driving in one one time (not mine), and the AT would all of a sudden “catch”, and then it would move.

Obviously we are moving, full hot, everything is operating well. It seems like maybe it’s related to a rapid downshift across many gears? I can’t seem to replicate it, say, driving around town (25-35 mph driving), and decelerating and re-accelerating, which is why I think it is associated with a transition from a higher gear…. It seems to happen when coming down from higher speed.

We got a 2013 Odyssey EX-L with 90k+ miles on it. ATF gets changed not as frequent as yours, but it never slams in to gear as you had mention.

The van gets short trips and not used often either.

Ok???

Not sure I get your point. Ours didn’t do this historically either.

We were driving in some mountainous terrain recently and that’s when we noticed it more than once over the course of a weekend, and have noticed it once or twice since…

Last edited:
Try clicking on the hyperlink now. When I put it in I accidentally double-pasted the URL.

That worked. Thanks!

I think we bay be experiencing this TSB:

I need to figure out if there is a way that I can verify sw versions before going to the dealer.
Unless that TSB was already performed it sounds like by the way the document is printed that all 2014 model year cars are affected and only some early 2015 model years came with the older software.

Could the throttle body need a cleaning? Maybe the tip-in is a bit effected by a sticky/dirty TB?

Also, for the engine mount recommendation above, pop the hood, start the engine and cycle from R to D w/ your foot firmly on the brake to see how much the engine rocks.

Unless that TSB was already performed it sounds like by the way the document is printed that all 2014 model year cars are affected and only some early 2015 model years came with the older software.
Right, and I have a 2014 that we bought new in 2015 (was in a display, untouched, got a super deal).

So it could have been flashed at delivery, or the few times we’ve used a dealer for things. I need to find out….

Could the throttle body need a cleaning? Maybe the tip-in is a bit effected by a sticky/dirty TB?

Also, for the engine mount recommendation above, pop the hood, start the engine and cycle from R to D w/ your foot firmly on the brake to see how much the engine rocks.
Perhaps. I’ve never looked. But the issue definitely comes from the AT, not the engine.

I will look at the mounts. I’ve never been good at gauging things from R to D, or in D, giving some throttle while braking. The ending is very smooth and even, and quiet. I know that much…

Perhaps. I’ve never looked. But the issue definitely comes from the AT, not the engine.

I will look at the mounts. I’ve never been good at gauging things from R to D, or in D, giving some throttle while braking. The ending is very smooth and even, and quiet. I know that much…
I replaced them on a Pilot. All but the rear engine mount are easy and cheap to do. Search on a Honda forum or youtube. Front , side and two tranny mounts plus the rear.

Of course but it’s dubious I’ll find anything.
Yep, you probably wont, and if there was a code those vans display a trans error on the dash anyways.

Doesn't seem like a motor mount issue considering you had vcm muzzled, those vcm engine mounts last a very very long time if vcm muzzled.

Could likely be that TSB (y)

Back