2014 Honda CR-V tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
My salesman advised me this car came with a CVT trasmission, however it feels and says online it has the 5-speed A/T. Not a big deal but anyone know for sure?

If you step on the gas and it doesn't cycle through the gears but just holds RPM as it accelerates it has a CVT...at least that is the way the CVT Civic I rented behaved...

It IS a pretty smooth-shifting transmission. But not that smooth...
smile.gif

The CVT offers superior MPG by a long shot. I would go for that and skip the dated but decent 5 speed auto.

The 2015 does get significantly better mileage.

2014: 23/31/26
2015: 27/34/29

That's a 20% improvement in town and a 10% improvement on the highway. I suspect that you can loosely say that the direct injection gives a 10% boost (seen in both city and highway ratings) and the CVT gives another 10% boost around town, where the transmission would be working the most.

But an 100% more headache down the road.....

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The 2015 does get significantly better mileage.

2014: 23/31/26
2015: 27/34/29

That's a 20% improvement in town and a 10% improvement on the highway. I suspect that you can loosely say that the direct injection gives a 10% boost (seen in both city and highway ratings) and the CVT gives another 10% boost around town, where the transmission would be working the most.

2014 is a 5 speed. 2015's get the CVT.

The 2014 with the 5 speed drives nice. Enjoyed driving one in the Colorado Rockies recently...

After driving my dad's CVT Subaru on and off for the last week, I'd opt for the 5 speed automatic if given a choice.
27.gif
Opinions vary.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
After driving my dad's CVT Subaru on and off for the last week, I'd opt for the 5 speed automatic if given a choice.
27.gif
Opinions vary.

Subaru abhorrently only offered their 5 speed auto with H6 and turbo models. It was nice but they stuck to a 4 speed auto which Subaru had in 1989.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
If you are interested in AWD, read this: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/looks-like-the-2015-honda-cr-vs-awd-system-doesnt-work-1649969431

Quote:
The Honda AWD system uses a compact, lightweight and fuel-efficient rear differential. The design requires a certain torque limitation for the device to be able to work effectively in real conditions, but at the same time, it must not exceed the total capacity of the AWD drive.

So, the rear diff now can only handle 10ft-lb of torque? Even Honda motors today make more torque than that. Sounds like they are saying, if there is zero traction up front, you're SOL, the rear diff can't handle the torque available off-idle.

Quote:
In other words Honda does not see that the roll test fairly highlights CR-V's AWD performance.

Of course they don't like this test--they failed it!

Quote:
but I don't think it's that unrealistic to imagine a similar situation happening on an icy hill; where the rear wheels are on solid ground but the fronts are stuck on slippery stuff.

Nope, I can see that scenario. Heck, I've gotten stuck where one tire was on ice, the rest on ground (usually it was in a pothole also).

Not sure what to make of this test, actually, since it's seems pretty hard to believe that Honda "forgot" to test the AWD bits. I'm guessing it works. Don't know why it doesn't work here, and I wouldn't want to buy an AWD system that failed like this. But it seems hard to believe that it would fail like this.

That scenario is my driveway exit where the plow leaves slush, freezes solid and happens to be an incline. My Acura MDX(SH-AWD) at least can shift 70% of power to rear wheels and does when on an incline. Our Subaru laughs at it but its a 50/50 split of pure mechanical but stupid bliss with LSD.

Those AWD systems are mostly a joke in difficult conditions on CUV's except for Subaru. I think they err on getting the vehicle moving with a boost.

Ice has a coefficient of friction. Sure, it's small, but it's there. Rollers don't. Put all four tires on rollers, and the car won't travel forward at all...doesn't matter how the system splits torque. But put all four tires on ice, and we know that we can get the car moving. Rollers make for good YouTube videos, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back