2014 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 after 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, after 3 weeks and 1,000 miles, I am pleased with our decision. After 3 tanks of gas of combined city and highway driving, we have averaged just over 32 MPG, all in the "Econ" mode. That is what really makes us happy. Fit, finish and attention to detail is excellent. It is a Honda after all.

I wasn't sure about the CVT transmission. But in all honesty, I really haven't noticed any thing different than driving something with a conventional transmission. If I didn't know it had a CVT, I wouldn't be talking about it.

The new 2.4L "EarthDreams" engine is very quiet and smooth. I am guessing there are a couple of balance shafts in there somewhere. Chain driven cams(it's about time Honda!)and a very clean and well thought out engine compartment make for a good combination. Everything under the hood is easy to access.

The handling, steering and brakes all work well. The EX-L is a lot more compliant than the sport model. The 17" wheels and Michelin Primacy's really help make it right.

The interior is kind of generic, but well thought out. All important buttons and dials are well placed. My wife is kind of technically challenged, but is right at home with a little trial and error.

The camera in the R/Side rear view mirror is interesting. When the right turn signal is on, the camera shows the lane on the monitor. I guess I am old fashioned. I think it's more of a gimmick than a necessity. I still like a good mirror. The split view on the driver's side takes some getting used to. The back-up camera is awesome.

The maintenance is pretty straight forward. I will be using the Honda full synthetic oil when the time comes for service. The dealer will be doing everything. I talked to one of the service writers about when I should bring it back for it's first service. She told me that there is a "special" break in oil and to bring it back when the oil life monitor is less than 10%. In my case, that would be about 9K miles. I don't think I can do that. Probably will be done at 5K.

I know it's only been 3 weeks and a thousand miles, but so far, so good.

Thanks for the note. The current Accord looks like an excellent package.

Regarding your note about the chain-driven camshafts, this engine (the K-series) has had chain-driven camshafts since its introduction 13 years ago (2001). Yes, the K-series engine has balance shafts and is always noted as being particularly smooth for a 4-cylinder engine. The fact that Honda's latest 4-cylinder is based on a 15 year old design is a testament to how good that engine really is, and certainly how good it was when it was first engineered.

These engines are nothing new. 12 year old designs with modified heads for DI. A testament really to how well they are built. Calling them Earth-dream is a little on the silly side.

Earth Dreams is silly. On my Ford truck, the EcoBoost emblems are plain stupid. This "Green" stuff is getting out of hand. Must be the new generation of marketing strategy.

Good review.

Based on what I've read here, most recommendations for the first OCI align with what you were told by the dealer: don't change the oil until the MM tells you it's due.

Originally Posted By: Fatboymoe
Earth Dreams is silly. On my Ford truck, the EcoBoost emblems are plain stupid. This "Green" stuff is getting out of hand. Must be the new generation of marketing strategy.

I liked the EB's original name: Twinforce!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Good review.

Based on what I've read here, most recommendations for the first OCI align with what you were told by the dealer: don't change the oil until the MM tells you it's due.

Best of luck with the new ride. The new Accord is an outstanding package.

If you really get into reading UOA's you'll find 1. that Honda's "break-in oil", whatever it is, is some magical stuff and 2. The MM is dead-on accurate. I'd leave it in until the MM tells you to change it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back