2014 Harley Davidson 103B - 495mi - FF (HD 360 20w50)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil remains in service, I will pull another sample when changed at the 1000 mile service for comparison.

Harley495edited.jpg

I only run Amsoil 20W50 Motorcycle oil in my 2009 Street Glide along with the Amsoil EAO oil filter. Heat from the engine is now almost gone and is just slightly warm. With the factory oil, my legs were burning. Get rid of the factory HD oil ASAP! Stuff is garbage! Don't get me started on the subpar quality SE Syn 3 oil. It really isn't worth the money Harley charges for it. For the price Harley charges for their factory fill oil and their Syn 3, you can easily upgrade to a better oil like Amsoil. Try Amsoil and you will NEVER look back.

Been running Amsoil since it's first service at 500 miles and couldn't be happier. Runs smoother, better throttle response and a world cooler! Trust me! Try it on your next oil change and scavenge the old oil out. I used the scavenger from Rogue Chopper and got about almost 2 quarts of black oil out AFTER the oil was changed. You are basically chasing out the old black oil with new oil and you can actually see it being chased out. Watch their videos and you will be placing an order for one. Amazing product for Harleys! No point in changing the oil if the old stuff cross contaminates the new clean oil.

www.roguechopper.com

I now have a 103 (OEM was 96" back in the '09 model year) Stage 4 SE heads, SE 255 cam, auto compression reliefs, upgraded SE cam plate and high volume oil pump and the Amsoil makes this bike run so much better. I can't recommend their oil and filter enough for Harleys!

Last edited:
I thought Syn3 did sort of alright in Amsoil's own oil test white paper back whenever. Although they need to do another one since most formulations have likely changed since their last paper.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I only run Amsoil 20W50 Motorcycle oil in my 2009 Street Glide along with the Amsoil EAO oil filter. Heat from the engine is now almost gone and is just slightly warm. With the factory oil, my legs were burning. Get rid of the factory HD oil ASAP! Stuff is garbage! Don't get me started on the subpar quality SE Syn 3 oil. It really isn't worth the money Harley charges for it. For the price Harley charges for their factory fill oil and their Syn 3, you can easily upgrade to a better oil like Amsoil. Try Amsoil and you will NEVER look back.

Been running Amsoil since it's first service at 500 miles and couldn't be happier. Runs smoother, better throttle response and a world cooler! Trust me! Try it on your next oil change and scavenge the old oil out. I used the scavenger from Rogue Chopper and got about almost 2 quarts of black oil out AFTER the oil was changed. You are basically chasing out the old black oil with new oil and you can actually see it being chased out. Watch their videos and you will be placing an order for one. Amazing product for Harleys! No point in changing the oil if the old stuff cross contaminates the new clean oil.

www.roguechopper.com

I now have a 103 (OEM was 96" back in the '09 model year) Stage 4 SE heads, SE 255 cam, auto compression reliefs, upgraded SE cam plate and high volume oil pump and the Amsoil makes this bike run so much better. I can't recommend their oil and filter enough for Harleys!

So you put 255s in. And you only went 103 when you could have gone 106/107 for the same money. You might have 80 hp with those cams. Maybe 100tq.
Funny.
Now let's get started with this absurd post. You expect people to believe that amsoil instead of syn 3 affects the heat dissipation so much you can feel the difference between your legs.
Nonsense.
I used amsoil a few times in my 106 and with my dipstick temp gauge oil temps in the sump didn't change whatsoever as compared to redline,royal purple,motul and the Rotella I'm using now.
And with my IR temp gun the heat coming off the bike didn't change either.
I'm putting this post up there with such classics as the old hand on the manifold hogwash.
And there is no chance that throttle response was improved using 2 oils of the same grade.
Your entire post is nonsense.
And after reading your mod list i have to wonder why. Spending all that money for nothing. You could have gotten the same results by putting a 4 degree advance gear on the stock cams.
This is exactly why amsoil gets a bad wrap. People post stuff like this,which is basically impossible and when new users try it they feel scammed.
I've used various grades in my Harley. I've had straight 60 amsoil in it,lots of 50 grades and I'm now using rotella and of all of them the rotella made the bike spin more freely,because it's thinner.
You changing that oil at 3000 miles too?
I'm in utter awe
If you actually believe that of which you posted I've got a bridge to sell you.
There's a saying that goes something like there's a sucker born every minute.
No kidding.
OP
Congrats on the bike. I suggest holding off on doing any used oil analysis til it's broken in,then try establishing trends. Right now everything will be elevated and not indicative anything much.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

OP
Congrats on the bike. I suggest holding off on doing any used oil analysis til it's broken in,then try establishing trends. Right now everything will be elevated and not indicative anything much.

Thank You,

I'm just curious, I'll do another at 1000 right before it is changed just to see how contaminated it gets, then maybe at 1000 more with the new oil. Just to try to get an idea of the difference, I know it won't do anything but satisfy some of my curiosity... I do not think there will be much more riding going on this year though...

BTW I'll have the dealer do the 1000 mile service with some of that "sub par quality SYN3"
laugh.gif
then I'll be doing all the service except for warranty items, and likely use M1 V-twin.

I'm with Clevy on waiting until the after it's broken in to do any more testing. I run M1 15-50 or Rotella 5-40 in both Harleys.

Clevy,

Sorry I didn't spend a ton of money on my bike the way YOU would have wanted and I wasn't looking for your approval in doing so. I didn't know you were a Harley expert. I went with a reliable combination powertrain wise that is proven. The bike has plenty of power for what I use it for.

I was only recommending Amsoil 20W50 Motorcycle oil based on my experience with it. It makes MY bike run cooler and run better than the factory oil. That's my opinion based on riding the bike back to back and in all types of riding conditions. Again, sorry you don't agree. I was also recommending what I feel is an important tool when changing the oil which is the Scavenger by Rogue Chopper, especially when changing brands of oils. That's all.

I don't change the oil every certain amount of miles by the way, but rather once a year or so.

Last edited:
To the original poster - my personal opinion is that you are wasting your time and your money on an oil analysis for a brand new bike with so few miles - because of all of the wear metals, etc.

For those short drain intervals - you could run just about any oil (in the proper grade). Seriously.

Do a search and take a look at some of the other Harley oil threads. There's a lot of good information in them.

Certainly, we all want the very best oil available - but please remember that motor oil is 95% marketing and 100% opinion...... until proven differently

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
To the OP you might want to check your Factory Fill. It may have SYN3 in it instead of HD360...:)

The Owners and Shop Manuals say it is HD360, do you see something in the numbers that indicates otherwise?

FWIW I thought only the CVO bikes came with SYN3?

Was at the factory in PA a few years ago and the Tour Guide said all the new bikes come from them with SYN3 in them. Don't know if it's true or not..

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I see.

Not having much luck finding a VOA of HD360, but I found THIS ONE of SYN3.

Soooo I went looking for it - and also came up empty. I do remember seeing more than one with the HD360 conventional oil @ 5K OCI's and was surprised how good they looked. If memory serves me correctly, it was better than the SYN3.

21.gif

Huh. Maybe I'd better go check the Harley forums......

I've cruised some Harley Forums looking for a VOA as well, no luck there either.

I guess I'll take one for the team and send some off.

Couple more decent days that I have some free time and she might make the 1000 mile service before the new year after all, we will see...

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Clevy,

Sorry I didn't spend a ton of money on my bike the way YOU would have wanted and I wasn't looking for your approval in doing so. I didn't know you were a Harley expert. I went with a reliable combination powertrain wise that is proven. The bike has plenty of power for what I use it for.

I was only recommending Amsoil 20W50 Motorcycle oil based on my experience with it. It makes MY bike run cooler and run better than the factory oil. That's my opinion based on riding the bike back to back and in all types of riding conditions. Again, sorry you don't agree. I was also recommending what I feel is an important tool when changing the oil which is the Scavenger by Rogue Chopper, especially when changing brands of oils. That's all.

I don't change the oil every certain amount of miles by the way, but rather once a year or so.

i see.
You dress up with a dew rag too when you ride.

You change it yearly because you don't put enough miles on the bike to warrant any more maintenance.
You've lost your mind if you truly believe the bike runs cooler,in any significant way,with Amsoil,and that you can feel the difference.
I had a dipstick oil temp gauge and I've used em all,and not a single different oil made any real difference in how hot the bike ran.
255s are a bagger cam. Kinda like putting a torque cam,made for pulling,in a truck. They aren't high performance in any way and actually lower hp,and redline vs the stock cams.
You coulda saved yourself some money by going with a 2 into 1 pipe and a dynotune. You'd have a higher useable redline with similar torque as you have now,but more horsepower.
I see guys like you on the road all the time.

I am not surprised that people believe pretty fantastic things about synthetic oils because that is what (some more than others) of those companies want people to believe. I know the engine being a lot cooler is especially unlikely because most of the heat is generated by combustion. If it is that much cooler and the heat was created by friction, imagine how much wear there would be? How long would these things last?

In time they should be able to see what is believable and what is not, but they have to think about it. But then, like religion and politics, people can have beliefs that are a long long way from what I believe to be true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back