2014 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L AcDelco 5w-30 5000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to see how GM's new AcDelco 5w-30 Full Synthetic is doing in my 6.2L. My service advisor said they are pretty sure it is made by Mobil 1 but who knows. Hey, I'm pretty happy with the analysis after 5,000mi especially when I can get an 8qt oil/filter change get & tire rotation for $60! I'll be going at least 7k between changes.

Excellent wear; keep that OCI going! Can easily get to 10k miles.
Regarding the vis, I'd have to guess they didn't put in what you think they did. That or this lube is horrid at vis retention.

And a belated
welcome2.gif
for joining and your first post!

Last edited:
That would be nice to know. While 0w20 synthetic is lean on VM … I’m trying to get a handle on what to expect with my new DI 5.3L …

I forgot to mention that I have a Tracy Lewis catch can installed on my truck as well. Perhaps that is keeping some moisture and contaminants out of the oil.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Are you sure they used 5w30? I thought the new EcoTec took 0w20?

You guys have me wondering now! I'm going to contact the dealer to see if they really used 30 weight. He brought those quart samples out to me so I could take a look at the bottles so I just assumed they used that weight.

Well update 18....service advisor told me it was 5w-30 but after he searched the records, it was indeed 0w-20! Thanks guys.

That makes much more sense.

Lesson #1 - UOAs are more accurate than service advisors

Lesson #2 - thinner oils do just fine; the wear rates will likely not be affected to a tangible degree had it actually been 5w-30 instead of a 20 grade.

Lesson #3 - your OCI plan is uber conservative

Lesson #4 - you still have no idea who makes that lube, but does it really matter? To you? Maybe. To the engine? Not one bit.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
That makes much more sense.

Lesson #1 - UOAs are more accurate than service advisors

Lesson #2 - thinner oils do just fine; the wear rates will likely not be affected to a tangible degree had it actually been 5w-30 instead of a 20 grade.

Lesson #3 - your OCI plan is uber conservative

Lesson #4 - you still have no idea who makes that lube, but does it really matter? To you? Maybe. To the engine? Not one bit.

Perhaps I can take OCI closer to 10k mi. Only way to know would be another analysis around 8k I guess. You're right, I don't know who makes the oil (I can assume Exxon Mobil since they have been in bed with GM for a long time) BUT, I could give a rat's you know what as long as it is protecting my engine sufficiently.

Last edited:
The 2014+ 5.3s and 6.2s OLMs are capped at 7500 under ideal conditions. We routinely get 7200-7500 on our 2014 5.3 if I run in all the way to 0%. I'd follow the OLM and forget about the UOAs. It appears to be spot on here.

That’s where I was heading … if I’m going to pony up for 8 quarts synthetic when it used to be six … got an oil cooler when I did not before … OLM is a good enough solution for me …

Originally Posted By: modernmetal
Perhaps I can take OCI closer to 10k mi.

How much time did it take you to rack up 5000 miles ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: modernmetal
Perhaps I can take OCI closer to 10k mi.

How much time did it take you to rack up 5000 miles ?

4 months...but that was a couple long trips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back