2014 GM 5.3 & 6.2 V8 OCI Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the new GM 5.3 & 6.2 litre V8's are using an 8.5 qt. oiling system, does anyone here own one, and what is the dealer charging for an OCI? BTW, 0W20 is the spec'd oil to use.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Now that the new GM 5.3 & 6.2 litre V8's are using an 8.5 qt. oiling system, does anyone here own one, and what is the dealer charging for an OCI? BTW, 0W20 is the spec'd oil to use.

The joys of owning a bigger engine. Following the OLM may save you money and time in the end.

If you let the dealership change your oil beware of the big community drum of oil that may constitute a one size fits all solution to oil changes with some no-name brand of oil.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

The joys of owning a bigger engine. Following the OLM may save you money and time in the end.

I don't own one of these "oil tankers." I was curious to know what an actual owner was paying for an OCI.

I have one but I'm not sure what the dealer would charge as all 2014 GM pickups come with complementary oil changes for 2 years/24,000 mile (max of 4). I've had two done at the dealer and the invoice said "DEXOS 0W-20 19259487 Qty 8". A Google search of this part numbers shows that is a GM/ACDelco quart size syn blend 0W-20.

ACDELCO_0W-20.jpg

my '04 Yukon has the 5.3l engine and only requires 6qts. Interesting they went up on the oil sump/pan. My wife's BMW X5 already has the 8.5qt requirement for her V8 - and requiring synthetic does add up unless you catch sales/rebates.

Germans have figured that out 50 years ago. And now, the push for the lowest viscosity makes US to go that way. When Ford switched the modular V8 4.6 from 10W-30 to 5W-20 in NA they increased the sump capacity too. Now, new engines have the total redesign in place. There is no substitute for the cubic inch and the sump capacity. Good thing IMO

Every dealer oil change deal I have seen says "includes up to # quarts", so the customer will be charged for the excess, likely on a per quart basis.

Every dealer oil change deal I have seen says "includes up to # quarts", so the customer will be charged for the excess, likely on a per quart basis.
[/quote]
Not on the 2yr/24K service contracts that go along with sale of vehicle.
My GM dealer has 55gal plastic tub in back that says AC Delco 5W30, and in the bottom corner a Mobile sticker.

Originally Posted By: oldhp

Not on the 2yr/24K service contracts that go along with sale of vehicle.
My GM dealer has 55gal plastic tub in back that says AC Delco 5W30, and in the bottom corner a Mobile sticker. [/quote]
Hmmmm, a GM dealer putting 5W30 in a factory spec'd 0W20 engine? Interesting.
shocked.gif

As for sump capacity didn't VW get into problems with a 2 liter engine with a small sump? I'm all for a little extra oil circulating around the system. I can afford 2 or 3 more quarts every time I change the oil.

My 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6L takes 7.5 quarts (according to the dipstick) and 6.9 quarts per the owner's manual.

Larger crankcase capacities will likely be needed in the future to keep lighter viscosity oils at lower / manageable temperatures.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
My 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6L takes 7.5 quarts (according to the dipstick) and 6.9 quarts per the owner's manual.

Larger crankcase capacities will likely be needed in the future to keep lighter viscosity oils at lower / manageable temperatures.

That's very possible. I never looked at it like that.
Also, would direct injection have an effect on the engine oil enough to make them increase the capacity?

GM has seen fit to specify a slightly taller oil filter on its current generation V8s as well.
Remember to factor that inconsequential price differential into maintenance expenses.
smile.gif

Note current AC-Delco PF63 (~4-7/8”) replaces previous PF48 (~3-1/2”)
[chassis dependent in some instances].

Equivalent Mobil 1s for reference:
M1-212.jpg

Also, would direct injection have an effect on the engine oil enough to make them increase the capacity?

Fuel dilution issues under certain operating conditions are part of the reason for increased sump capacity, but the main reason is longer service intervals...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Fuel dilution issues under certain operating conditions are part of the reason for increased sump capacity, but the main reason is longer service intervals...

Longer service intervals, PLUS the average driver doesn't check their oil, so perhaps additional sump capacity is used to make sure the engine will have sufficient oil even if it burns some through the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back