2014 GM 5.3 & 6.2 V8 OCI Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Is everything else, beside length basically the same so that the longer filter be used on, say, a 2013 5.3L in a Silverado?

Originally Posted By: splinter
GM has seen fit to specify a slightly taller oil filter on its current generation V8s as well.
Remember to factor that inconsequential price differential into maintenance expenses.
smile.gif

Note current AC-Delco PF63 (~4-7/8”) replaces previous PF48 (~3-1/2”)
[chassis dependent in some instances].

Yes, same base mounting dimensions and functionally identical (i.e., ADBV, bypass setting, etc.), save for the additional filtering medium.
Fits perfectly on my ’11 LMG 5.3L.

Kindly forgive OT post.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I made that statement about my cousin. With an 8.5 qt. pan and him doing a M1 LOF every 4-5K miles, do you think his wallet will not feel those effects? He averages about 30-35K miles a year on a vehicle.

You know how it is. The OLM is helpful, but not everyone will follow it, nor will everyone follow specs. Besides, people come up with some gems sometimes.

My departed dad bought a brand new F-250 with the 7.3 PS the year or second year after the body redesign. Now, keep in mind that this man had experience with a wide array of agricultural equipment and used to drive and maintain semis in his youth, so he's no stranger to large sump capacities. On the way from picking it up, I read the OM and mention the sump size. His reply is, "Holy {bleep}, that's a $100 oil change." Of course, the truck was $50,000 and 10,000 miles a year would be a stretch for him, but that was his reaction.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
With an 8.5 qt. pan and him doing a M1 LOF every 4-5K miles, do you think his wallet will not feel those effects?

But why would he need to do that with M1--especially with an 8.5 QT pan? If he is putting 30-35K per year on his vehicle, then those are mostly all highway miles and all the more reason to extend the OCI--at least until the OLM tells him to do so. 10K would be the minimum I would run 2 gallons of M1; I have done it a few times now (15K) with room to spare.

I have asked him that same Q? BTW, this is how he did the LOF on his Yota. I talked to him earlier about this and he said the first (2) years are covered by the dealer. Afterwards he said M1 with a FRAM filter at 6-7K miles, maybe.

Complete waste of money especially when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. He really does not have a right to bemoan the cost when it is he who is setting the intervals far ahead of what the oil actually requires.

With an 8.5 qt. pan and him doing a M1 LOF every 4-5K miles, do you think his wallet will not feel those effects?

But why would he need to do that with M1--especially with an 8.5 QT pan? If he is putting 30-35K per year on his vehicle, then those are mostly all highway miles and all the more reason to extend the OCI--at least until the OLM tells him to do so. 10K would be the minimum I would run 2 gallons of M1; I have done it a few times now (15K) with room to spare.

I have asked him that same Q? BTW, this is how he did the LOF on his Yota. I talked to him earlier about this and he said the first (2) years are covered by the dealer. Afterwards he said M1 with a FRAM filter at 6-7K miles, maybe.

Complete waste of money especially when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. He really does not have a right to bemoan the cost when it is he who is setting the intervals far ahead of what the oil actually requires.

BTW 2010_FX4, this is NOT the cousin that helps me and others less fortunate, with LOF and general repairs.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back