2014 Ford Fusion Ecoboost 1.5L 0w-20 Amsoil SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first uoa with this car 95% is road miles its driven over 800 miles per week. I use a royal purple oil filter and 4 quarts of oil no make up oil was needed. I want to extend my oil changes out as far as I can so long as the oil holds up. What is it in a report that lets you know how the oil filter is doing? The change oil light come on at close to 11k in this run but i ignored it and went a little further what do you guys think i should try for next?

Base Number is SIGNIFICANTLY LOW. Infrared results indicate OXIDATION is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGH; Silicon is at a MINOR LEVEL;
SILICON sources can be abrasives (dirt, Alumina Silica), seals and gasket material, lube additive or lube supplement, and/or
environmental contaminant; Viscosity is SLIGHTLY HIGH; Boron is slightly low for this lubricant. Lubricant and filter change
acknowledged.

Code:

OIL Amsoil SS 0w-20

MILES IN USE 14,400

MILES 50,825

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/5/2015

ALUMINUM 6

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 15

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 183

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 2

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 31

SILICON 21

SODIUM 25

CALCIUM 3182

MAGNESIUM 14

PHOSPHORUS 644

ZINC 721

BARIUM 0

Nitration 20

WATER 0.1

Oxidation 71

Base Number 2.15

Viscosity 100C 9.7cSt

Soot 0.1

Fuel Dilution 1 – Estimate

Lube Added 0

I think what you did is perfect. TBN base number was still OK, hanging on. Iron levels were stellar low.
Oil filter performance is indicated by insolubles levels, which is not in your report. If going that long, use a Fram Ultra oil filter for something that can go the distance to be sure. Royal Purple oil filter is almost as good, but more expensive than an Ultra, so why not Ultra?

I wouldn't worry about the oxidation, which pushed up viscosity to what looked like a thin 5w-30, so no problem there. I say don't go any further though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hondacity
14k is nuts. Is that still under warranty?

Since he was using Amsoil SS, its not nuts. Maybe M1 EP or Castrol Edge EP too would do it. That engine had low iron wear, so whats the problem?

Ignore "too thick" crowd. That engine runs fine on something that changes near the end into a thin-5w-30 grade. A thick 20 is 9.2 max, and yours was 9.7. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
I'm impressed. Wonder what other lubes could pull this off? I'm sure some others could, but why mess with success? IMO, anyway. Surely someone will be along shortly to say that you could have gotten the same result with Wolf's Head on clearance from Ollie's, and someone will follow that with something about Signature Series and 25K miles, and how they don't like multi level marketing.
I would not change a thing, think you did well for yourself.

Now THAT is getting your monies worth from an AMSOIL product.

thumbsup2.gif

Ok thanks after reading about fuel dilution issue's with direct injection engines. I kind of expected the number to be somewhat higher than what came back on the uoa that's kind of why i didn't run it all the way up to 15k. The RP filter i got 2 for a good deal but i will run an ultra when i change oil filter again. Was also kind of interested in trying out amsoil's oil filter but i don't know yet.

The standard warranty ran out at 36k hit that in 8 months i think. Power train is up to 100k.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Now THAT is getting your monies worth from an AMSOIL product.

thumbsup2.gif

Yep! Add an Amsoil oil filter also and you won't have to worry about that.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Thats some thick 0w20.....

It's called oxidation and results in thickening near the end of the useful life. He ran it to darn near the end of its capabilities.

Not to start a *&^%$#@ match, but I'd be anxious to see how M1 EP would do in comparison. If it can match the performance, it would be a bit cheaper and easily obtainable.

Unless I missed it, what was the sump time on this run? I too would like to see how M1EP would perform in your vehicle. I have a little more than 12K on my run of M1EP 0W-20 in my FX4 and will sample at 15K and go longer if the readings show that I can. Like others have suggested, I would use a FRAM Ultra filter and not worry. I ran one for a little over 15K and it looked great when I opened it.

I have 218K miles on my 98 Taurus. Been doing long drain 13-15K runs for probably the last 120K. I had the pan, timing cover, and valve covers off about 20K miles ago. It was pretty darn clean.

I say keep on keeping on.........

The 1.0L and 1.5L EcoBoosts have injectors that fire straight down from the center into a piston bowl so fuel in oil should be minimal. Mobil 1 0w20 Extended Performance might do great as well.

I really like the 1.0L and 1.5L....What is you highway mileage?

According to the OP this oil was in use for between 4-5 months (max) as he says it gets 800miles per week. That's roughly 17.5 weeks worth of driving at that rate to reach 14,000.

TBN is not linear and this report looks fantastic, but it's hard to know just how much longer it could go considering that it thickened up somewhat.

For the mileage it looks good. I would cap at 15k on this oil, but I'm conservative. Considering how much highway mileage it got it's somewhat surprising the TBN has gotten to near the end, but then again it can go a few more thousand without dropping much. The main concern in this entire report for condemnation to me is how much it has thickened.

That is an area I'm not as familiar with as most tend to deal with shearing. Is this an ecoboost or DI type of 'issue'? The Amsoil SS 0w-20 is relatively thick to begin with. Basically as though a high mileage 20 grade.

Knowing their product in general I'd say it's nothing to worry about, but only if you extended further would I want to know more with regards to what will happen from this point (post thickening).

Last edited:
Oil was run for almost 4 months gas mileage mid high 30's depends on how fast i drive. If i go easy and slow like 55 the avg will go up to 40-42. But i also drive in a hilly rural area.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So the oil is done around 15000 miles.
Doesn't mobil EP guarantee 15000 miles?
For less money

Not to start a fight, but guarantee and real world performance are often two different things.

Perhaps OP is willing to try the EP and see how it does in comparison. Same vehicle, same driver, different oils....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back