2014 Ford focus s which oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on my brand new focus. Which oil should I run? Would you take advantage of a brand new engine and only run synthetic? Which filter and what interval?

Motorcraft continues to show it's an excellent oil. No reason to deviate from it unless you have a specific reason or desire to use something different.

We have a 2012 focus s. Dropped the ff at 2k, oci at 5k, 10k, and 15k. I used MC oil and filters and at 15k switched to PPPP. Have 3k on that oci so far and gonna go 7500 or so, depend on how long it takes to accumulate. I noticed it used a little MC over the 5k ocis, not a lot but the oil level would be right below the full hole, where it would cover the fill hole at the beginning. So far at 3k it's about the same as the MC but the engine does seem to run a little smoother.

Motorcraft oil and filter are really quite good, and spec'd by Ford, no need to reinvent the wheel here. I'd do 5000 OCI, more if it's highway miles.

Any sn/gf5 oil in the recommended grades will work.
I always recommend full synthetic. Worth the investment.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Motorcraft continues to show it's an excellent oil. No reason to deviate from it unless you have a specific reason or desire to use something different.

+1

I have a 2012 version with the same engine.

My personal concern with the Focus engine is its direct fuel injection and the potential for intake valve deposits. An oil with low volatility may make this less-likely to be a problem.

So, if you plan to keep the car for a long time, have reasonably long oil change intervals and think the intake valve deposit issue is real, a low-volatility synthetic may be a good choice. I have been using the old formula Pennzoil Ultra. When my stock of this runs out, I'll probably switch to the new formula Pennzoil Platinum with its low-volatiity GTL base or Mobil1 Extended Performance 0w/20 with its mostly PAO base.

If you don't plan to keep the car forever, any oil meeting Ford's spec should be adequate, including the Motorcraft syn blend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
So on my brand new focus. Which oil should I run? Would you take advantage of a brand new engine and only run synthetic? Which filter and what interval?

Motocraft semi-synthetic is an outstanding oil. I have used it in many different vehicles and have never had a problem. As far as the filter, Motorcraft would be perfect for your application. If you wanted to use a synthetic oil, check out the Mobil 1 at Walmart. They have them on sale for $22/5qt jug. Either way you cant go wrong.

First off, many safe and enjoyable miles in your new ride! I hope there's easy access to the oil filter. On our 05' Focus I changed out the FF early @ around 1K. Then again @ 3k. Followed by longer OCI's. Ours is not a DI engine so your oil choice may be more critical. Lots of fine oils out there! Let us know what you decide to do.

Why does engines get build up on the valves? What causes it? Something with the Di but why

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Why does engines get build up on the valves? What causes it? Something with the Di but why

Cheap oils + fuel + moisture evaporating and condensing on the intake side because of crankcase ventilation.

Port injection can wash down everything downstream from the injector. DI doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
ram_man said:

Cheap oils + fuel + moisture evaporating and condensing on the intake side because of crankcase ventilation.

Port injection can wash down everything downstream from the injector. DI doesn't. [/quot

Right. Fuel washes over intake valves in port injected engines but not in DI ones, so the oil vapors coming throught the PCV system can accumulate and harden on the valves. Some DI engines seem worse than others in this respect. So far, it looks like the normally aspirated Focus is one of the "good" ones, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

Originally Posted By: Danh

...If you don't plan to keep the car forever, any oil meeting Ford's spec should be adequate, including the Motorcraft syn blend.

What length of time or mileage are you establishing as Motorcrafts limit?

Last edited:
I have been heavily into Ford forums for about 14yrs now, over the course of those 14yrs I have owned 6 Fords. All I ever used in the was Motorcraft Syn Blend and Motorcraft Filters. My 2003 F-150 5.4L that I had installed a Lightning Supercharger on melted a piston at the drag strip from running to lean. This was at 92K miles. The truck was lifted on 38" tires for 70K of the 92K and 20K of the 92K was supercharged and put down 331RWHP and 411 RWTQ and I beat the [censored] out of itt. When I pulled the motor out to replace it I took the original motor apart and at 92K the cylinder walls looked brand new, still had honing marks on them. The cams looked brand new also, was very surprised the engine had ZERO signs of wear. With that being said being as that engine only ever had Motorcraft Syn Blend and Motorcraft filters changed every 3K I will continue to use that on any other future Ford!

The other vehicles had 135K, 24K, 125K, 140K and my current truck has 22K

Wayne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back