2014 Ford F-150 trans fluid change

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Many of those are licensed Ford Mercon LV, so there is no problem
smile.gif

We've found that not to be the case. Get real Mercon LV. It's not more expensive and it works better. Sometimes far better.

Castrol's full synthetic is licensed by Ford so it's 100% compatible and approved by Ford. Warren makes an ATF that's fully licensed by Ford for LV applications and sold as MAG1, Supertech, Federated, and more.

The BG machine is nothing new, alot of shops and dealers have them. Basically an exchange machine.

My Toyota dealer has one of these machines and because I live on the edge I had the fluid exchange done on my truck at 141K. Cost was $285+ MD sales tax, so the $249 the OP was quoted isn't too bad.

Originally Posted by Delta
The BG machine is nothing new, alot of shops and dealers have them. Basically an exchange machine.

My Toyota dealer has one of these machines and because I live on the edge I had the fluid exchange done on my truck at 141K. Cost was $285+ MD sales tax, so the $249 the OP was quoted isn't too bad.

Good to hear....I thought maybe I was paying too much however I have the peace of mind knowing it should be done correctly. Sometimes the less expensive price
is not always the best service. Yes, I googled the BG machine and feel confident it will do the job just fine.

Everything this shop is saying, is what I would expect a transmission shop to tell a customer. Nothing they said so far seems to indicate that they are extra skilled at this or particularly unique.

Originally Posted by thastinger
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Sounds like a good deal. However those converters, unless aftermarket, don't have a drain plug. Are they doing the pan filter also?

Not true. The TC in the 4R100 in my 98 F150 does have a drain plug.

Ford quit putting torque convertor drains on anything in like 2001 I believe. I remember having to check for convertor drain plugs before pricing a trans service as a tech.

I would inquire again about the filter. As using the BG machine has nothing to do with changing the filter. If they are dropping the pan, changing the filter and then doing the fluid exchange with the BG machine that is a very good price. The BG service alone runs $184.95 where I work.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Ok fellow BITOG friends I have an update for you. I talked to the technician this morning and they have a state of the art machine called BG and they flush the entire system. The torque converter doesn't have a drain plug. They also put it on a computer to make sure it works properly before they due the fluid and filter change. They use genuine Ford AT fluid. This is a very reputable shop and they only work on fluid changes/ nothing else therefore it is a specialized AT shop. I pull a 1750 Lund boat with 2 outboards and it's pretty heavy therefore I thought 51,000 miles would be about right for the first change. I would rather be safe than sorry because I plan on keeping the truck a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znolsLzINOk

When I went to Quick Lane for "Works" package. It was slow, I asked to see their price sheet for services. On the sheet it said Ford F-150 6R80 transmission service not recommended as the vehicle had a "Lifetime Fill". For earlier models the price was $199. When I asked to have the fluid level checked at 14K, they said it was sealed and could not be checked. All I had to do to was to mention Ford Tech Makuloco's YouTube video of a pan drop and fluid change and boy howdy, that fluid level got checked. These places just hate informed consumers. They are just lazy and don't give a dam.

Sitting at Quick Lane is very interesting to watch all the upselling going on. I'd say the 3 times I have been there I have seen people being sold unneeded services. Nothing major but nonetheless it does not bode well for going there other than for the 'Works" package.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Ok fellow BITOG friends I have an update for you. I talked to the technician this morning and they have a state of the art machine called BG....

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Everything this shop is saying, is what I would expect a transmission shop to tell a customer. Nothing they said so far seems to indicate that they are extra skilled at this or particularly unique.

That shop owner / manager should be commend for hiring such a good salesperson !

My 2017 Fusion has the 6F35 trans and calls for LV ATF. I first used Valvoline Max Life but changed to M1 LV ATF 6 months ago and have noticed an improvement in up and down shifting quality.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Their "synthetic" fluid is probably a generic multi-vehicle fluid.

smile.gif

Not true. "Recommended for", "suitable for" mentioned on the container likely are not licensed. I would look for the word licensed by Ford or certified by Ford to use in Ford vehicles..

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by The Critic
Their "synthetic" fluid is probably a generic multi-vehicle fluid.

smile.gif

Not true. "Recommended for", "suitable for" mentioned on the container likely are not licensed. I would look for the word licensed by Ford or certified by Ford to use in Ford vehicles..

Looking up ATF's if it's a DEXRON VI product not only is it a great product it's would meet the requirements for MERCON LV. ATF is a lubricant like many other and just like motor oil for the car engine, if I changed the ATF in your vehicle while you were asleep you would not tell the difference and your AT would operate normally like it would with the current fill unless it was something like ATF+4. If this was the case I could drain and refill with D+4 or ATF+4 from Walmart and the results would be the same.

Back