2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost oil Change - PITA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Begin rant.

So, I was always bringing this truck since I bought it new back to the dealership for oil changes. So, it was getting a Motorcraft oil filter and Ford's oil which I do believe is a semi-synthetic.

Since the truck is off warranty now, I wanted to do the oil changes myself and use fully synthetic as they say it is better for the turbos on this engine. It is also cheaper to do it yourself.

Oil Filter Removal - what a real pain to get at and remove. My neighbour is a Diesel engine mechanic, so I got him to help me. He had a tool that could reach up in there and unscrew the filter. Then the oil drips all over the undercarriage and makes a mess.

Oil Drain Bolt/Draining the oil - the position of this bolt is such that it shoots the oil all over what I think is a sway bar and creates another [censored] of a mess on the ground.

Not sure what Ford was thinking when designing these engines, but holy it is one dirty and messy job. I know that everything can't be easily accessible when designing a vehicle, but it seems Ford made a common maintenance thing a lot more difficult and awkward than it should be. Even the location of the dipstick is kinda awkward. My helping-hand neighbour agreed that it is one of the more PITA oil changes he has ever seen.

End rant.

Side note - I put a FRAM Ulta oil filter on and filled the engine up with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. Swapped out the engine air filter with a FRAM Extra Guard air filter.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/5173710/Searchpage/2/Main/312993/Words/%2BF150/Search/true/re-2014-ford-f-150-ecoboost-oil-change-filter-removal#Post5173710

Originally Posted by 4WD
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/5173710/Searchpage/2/Main/312993/Words/%2BF150/Search/true/re-2014-ford-f-150-ecoboost-oil-change-filter-removal#Post5173710

Why don't you make that a hyperlink?

My favorite is the silly oil drain channel under the oil filter. Half of the oil drains out the rear down the cross member and half drains in the channel. If you don't have a long enough pan then RIP to your garage floor.

Originally Posted by Buzzinhalfdozen
My favorite is the silly oil drain channel under the oil filter. Half of the oil drains out the rear down the cross member and half drains in the channel. If you don't have a long enough pan then RIP to your garage floor.

I noticed that plastic oil drain channel. None of the oil actually went into this. I then wondered why it was there at all?

Can a vacuum style oil extractor fit the dipstick tube? i remember when i had my one and only ever Ford, a windstar, the dipstick tube was too small

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Can a vacuum style oil extractor fit the dipstick tube? i remember when i had my one and only ever Ford, a windstar, the dipstick tube was too small

Probably not.

14' 3.5 eb f150 here, I installed a fumoto drain valve, best investment so far, rubber hose going to a jug not a drop spilled. I drive my truck up on 6'' ramps and oil filter spillage drains from the Aft ''square'' make sure to remove the rubber plate. I just remove filter and lay it upside down on collection pan and let it drain for 10 mins with a small pan under the aft square. Again, just let it chill for 10 mins or more and have a beverage. I made mess the 1st couple times, now, never a drop spilled.. hope this helps.

(Fumoto F107N Oil Drain Valve M12-1.75 with Long Nipple) Don't forget to close valve before adding new oil! I forgot that step one time.. only wasted a quart..

Last edited:
On my 2016 I stuff some paper towel in the front drain channel and a funnel under the rear channel. Never spill a drop. Fumoto with a hose on mine too.

Can't wait for new Ranger owners to start posting their experiences. LOL

Seriously can't figure out why Ford hasn't gone with the top-mount cartridge like on the GM 3.6.

Originally Posted by KevGuy
Begin rant.

Not sure what Ford was thinking when designing these engines, but holy it is one dirty and messy job. I know that everything can't be easily accessible when designing a vehicle, but it seems Ford made a common maintenance thing a lot more difficult and awkward than it should be. Even the location of the dipstick is kinda awkward. My helping-hand neighbour agreed that it is one of the more PITA oil changes he has ever seen.

Ford was thinking "what is the least expensive engineering design to implement on the factory floor"

How difficult will it be to service is well down on the list of design considerations.

I noticed that plastic oil drain channel. None of the oil actually went into this. I then wondered why it was there at all?

Those plastic drain channels work perfectly for the 5.0… but they still drip outside the confines of a single drain pan.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Those plastic drain channels work perfectly for the 5.0… but they still drip outside the confines of a single drain pan.

My fiancee has a 2017 F150 with the 5.0 and oil changes are a breeze on it. I put the truck up on ramps and then the oil only drains out the back of the plastic channel. The oil filter is also very easy to access.

if yo want your turbos protected best use real synthetic like Redline! Esters are best for extreme heat or cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back