2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost Oil Change - Filter Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reach up from underneath. Use a proper sized strap wrench. Stuff paper towel in the forward spout of the drip tray and a funnel under the rear spout to direct the stream into a pan. Clean and easy.

Originally Posted by KevGuy
Does anybody have any advice on removing the oil filter on these darn engines?

Starting at the 2:15 mark, it describes how to access your oil filter and remove it.

If you have a motocraft filter on that car there will be serrated edges on the bottom of the filter. You can purchase a cup style wrench that fits it perfectly, you can then use a breaker bar to remove it. I had this issue with my 2006 Milan they over tightened the filter from the factory. This tool really helps when you have limited access in the future https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oem-Tool...tk_bU4wIVjYCfCh00tQudEAQYBSABEgL5V_D_BwE

Engines should be engineered with oil filters installed vertically in an easy access location.
And why are there a bazillion different filter sizes. Sheesh.

I'm 5 for 5 on that … but 3 different filters … (3 GM, 1 Ford, 1 Dodge) …

BiL does this on his. I gave him some Fram Ultras and explained he could do 2 X 5k OCI's … this being the first vehicle he's willing to do that on …

I know how to get to the oil filter, but it was put on so tight I can't get enough torque on it to remove it. I have the vehicle on ramps too but can get a good twist in the filter. Any ideas?

Terrible design. Must have been part of Ford's rust prevention plan to have oil spilled all over ever 6-9k.

Run a Fram Ultra and only have to change it every other change.

The 2wd, 3.7L versions of these trucks do not have the all the covers , or dams or "plastic skid plates" as shown in the video.
Wonder what would happen if all those obstacles were removed permanently? The later 2.7L EB t rucks have have a felt cover under there that the 5.0L didn't need.

The 2wd, 3.7L versions of these trucks do not have the all the covers , or dams or "plastic skid plates" as shown in the video.
Wonder what would happen if all those obstacles were removed permanently? The later 2.7L EB t rucks have have a felt cover under there that the 5.0L didn't need.

Those covers, from what I gather, do 3 things.
1. slight improvement in MPG by providing a smoother airflow beneath the vehicle. Germans have been doing this for a long, long time.
2. Bottoms of engines/trans stay much cleaner. I like this, a lot. I have had 2 S60s, one with the cover, one without. The one without is filthy beneath, whereas the covered one stays much cleaner. (I still take care of one of them).
3. noise dampening

I keep the covers in play. Especially with the F150 which requires no jacking for the O/C, and small electric drill with a socket on it makes the felt diaper a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by meep
Those covers, from what I gather, do 3 things.
1. slight improvement in MPG by providing a smoother airflow beneath the vehicle. Germans have been doing this for a long, long time.
2. Bottoms of engines/trans stay much cleaner. I like this, a lot. I have had 2 S60s, one with the cover, one without. The one without is filthy beneath, whereas the covered one stays much cleaner. (I still take care of one of them).
3. noise dampening
4. Keep electronics isolated from water impingement

I keep the covers in play. Especially with the F150 which requires no jacking for the O/C, and small electric drill with a socket on it makes the felt diaper a no-brainer.

Added a 4th for you … 🤓

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back