2014 Ford Escape 2.0L EcoBoost - 8.5K miles - Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w-30

TBN ended up lower than I expected. Flashpoint looked much better than previous results.

March 2021 BITOG Edit.jpg

Doesn’t seem all that great based on Fe numbers.
Yeah, the iron is much higher than the next longest UOA (~7K miles). I am not worried about it at the moment but will be keeping an eye on it and doing another UOA after another 8.5K miles to see if it's starting to trend up.

Iron is a bit out of whack but everything else looks good. Probably not the best choice for a 10k run in a turbo application but it held viscosity very well, typical Valvoline there.

Interesting, this oil is loaded with BITOG's darling moly yet the Fe number isn't great. Moly is thought to help fight LSPI though, perhaps that is Valvoline's thinking with loading it up.

Where is the sodium coming from? I hope it's not coolant, it's not in the oil.

What were your other oils used on the previous uoa's?
12/24/17 - Valvoline SynPower 5w-40
3/31/18 - Motorcraft SynBlend 5w-30
7/4/18 - Amsoil XL 5w-30
11/12/18 - Amsoil XL 10w-30
6/30/19 - Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 (drained early on this one due to some greyish material visible on the dipstick)

Garak, would you comment on this UOA please? You have experience with motor oil that has more Molybdenum then most (Quaker State) I get it, there could be numerous factors for the elevated Iron number. But, it seems really odd that the previous fill (Pennzoil Euro L 5w30) that has almost no Molybdenum had the lowest Iron levels of all the fills. I’m a Valvoline fan, just curious about your thoughts. I have two 2021 F-150 XLT’s with the 2.7L EB engine and I am getting ready for their first oil changes (around 4,000 miles each).

The Pennzoil UOA also had the lowest miles. In terms of PPM per thousand miles, the Amsoil UOA had the lowest amount of iron.

Garak, would you comment on this UOA please? You have experience with motor oil that has more Molybdenum then most (Quaker State) I get it, there could be numerous factors for the elevated Iron number. But, it seems really odd that the previous fill (Pennzoil Euro L 5w30) that has almost no Molybdenum had the lowest Iron levels of all the fills. I’m a Valvoline fan, just curious about your thoughts. I have two 2021 F-150 XLT’s with the 2.7L EB engine and I am getting ready for their first oil changes (around 4,000 miles each).
That reminds me, I don't think I posted the latest UOA for this engine.

I have some UOAs of my fleet F150 (2.7L EB) if you want to check those out.

Back