2014 focus engine tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else notice these have a noticeable tick. Like a lifter or something? It's very audible and sounds annoying . I guess I want my new car to be quiet and smooth and a tick noise seems kinda embarrassing.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Anyone else notice these have a noticeable tick. Like a lifter or something? It's very audible and sounds annoying . I guess I want my new car to be quiet and smooth and a tick noise seems kinda embarrassing.

they dont have lifters, I'd recommend not fixing this one to death. It has a warranty.

Originally Posted By: Rand
It has a warranty.

Now he just has to find a service advisor that won't say "They all do that."

Maybe if they have another Focus on the lot, they can compare the sounds.

Did it come with any sort of free maintance program, where you go back to the dealer for rotations and oil changes? If so, I'd ask then.

It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it is noticable. It sounds like a lifter but I know it doesn't have them. Could it be the direct injection?

Originally Posted By: Rand

they dont have lifters, I'd recommend not fixing this one to death. It has a warranty.

I'm not going to fix anything while it has a warranty however I will have them fix any issues it has

It's just the way they sound. Imo they sound really precision. You're probably just hearing the fuel injectors.

its a high tech 12:1 compression ratio engine
with direct injection.
2.0L Ti-VCT GDI I-4

.. If you drove a subaru you would probably mention all kinds of engine noises as well.. that are 100% normal.

your best course of action.. do nothing.

or This
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
go test drive another 2014, if it makes the same sound then don't worry about it.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it is noticable. It sounds like a lifter but I know it doesn't have them. Could it be the direct injection?

YES! It's the high pressure fuel pump. Look at the black foam piece on the engine. Remove it and it will get louder. It's the nature of the beast. Both my Ecoboosts tick - the F150 louder than the SHO.

I've heard that di has noisier injectors, but comparing my 135i with di to my 318i with old fashioned injectors, the injector noise from the 318 is higher.

Could be anything.

I would take it in to Ford b/c it shouldn't tick. Only engine I have ever heard tick was one of our CVPI's with 125K miles.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
DI engines are noisey

It's direct injected. They all tick. Normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back