2014 F150 intermittent low oil pressure alert at idle only

Status
Not open for further replies.
95k miles on a 5.0L V8. Engine runs like a top with a steady diet of Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend whenever the oil change reminder comes on. This issue started a week after the last oil change and at that time I did not use Motorcraft oil but rather Mobil 1 that was on sale. The FL500-S filter is the only filter I have ever used on it as well. Digging more into it, the alert will come on the dash when the engine is idling in gear. The slightest kick of the gas pedal will bring the pressure back to normal on the gauge cluster. This will not happen all the time but it seems to fix itself after an extended period. Any time the alert is on the dash the engine does not have any noticeable sounds or even a decline in performance. No ticking, knocking, sputtering or misfiring at all. So am I looking for a bad pressure switch or even a filter that's stuck in bypass? I am lost I will admit.

Last edited:
I doubt the filter stuck in bypass could cause a low oil pressure. Could be the sender. check it out with a meter by the factory method

We replaced the sending unit on my dad's 2011 f150 5.0. Similar symptoms but had twice the miles as yours. No issues since. Initially thought it was the filter or oil but it kept happening off and on.

Originally Posted by 10WSmuckers
95k miles on a 5.0L V8. Engine runs like a top with a steady diet of Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend whenever the oil change reminder comes on. This issue started a week after the last oil change and at that time I did not use Motorcraft oil but rather Mobil 1 that was on sale. The FL500-S filter is the only filter I have ever used on it as well. Digging more into it, the alert will come on the dash when the engine is idling in gear. The slightest kick of the gas pedal will bring the pressure back to normal on the gauge cluster. This will not happen all the time but it seems to fix itself after an extended period. Any time the alert is on the dash the engine does not have any noticeable sounds or even a decline in performance. No ticking, knocking, sputtering or misfiring at all. So am I looking for a bad pressure switch or even a filter that's stuck in bypass? I am lost I will admit.

Perhaps change back to Motorcraft and see what happens.

I changed out an Explorer sender/switch last week, with the same symptoms as you describe.
It's very unnerving to have oil pressure fluctuate like that when you're out of town and many miles
from home. This is the third oil pressure switch I've changed on various Fords in the last few
years. I don't think they last very long...

The Mobil 1 might be just enough thinner at operating temperature to trip the low pressure sensor at idle in gear. I'd try a new sensor first as others suggested. An oil filter in bypass won't change the oil pressure down stream of the filter.

This being a 2014, I'm assuming it doesn't have a computer controlled variable output oil pump.

........ Digging more into it, the alert will come on the dash when the engine is idling in gear. The slightest kick of the gas pedal will bring the pressure back to normal on the gauge cluster....

What is the pressure it is showing on the gauge cluster when the light comes on?

Originally Posted by billt460
........ Digging more into it, the alert will come on the dash when the engine is idling in gear. The slightest kick of the gas pedal will bring the pressure back to normal on the gauge cluster....

What is the pressure it is showing on the gauge cluster when the light comes on?

The gauge drops to zero every time and the engine isn't cutting out or making noise.

Originally Posted by billt460

The gauge drops to zero every time and the engine isn't cutting out or making noise.

That's exactly what mine did. The slightest rpm rise would bring the pressure back. I can almost guarantee it's a defective switch.
If you remove the wiring connector to the switch, you'll find oil seeping from the switch, not enough to drip, just enough to wet
the connector. That's confirmation of a faulty switch.

My 14 Mustang doesn't have a oil pressure gauge but periodically I get a message in the message center about low oil pressure and I only have 31,000 miles on the car. The last time I was under the car, I unplugged the connector to the sensor that is mounted in the oil pan and plugged it back in. The message has not come on since. I've used 5W-20 Motorcraft and the Motorcraft FL500s filter since the car was new.

Last edited:
the truck gauge is on-off. it's not really a gauge - acts like a light.

you won't know anything unless you hook a real gauge up to it. I'd replace the sender first.

I agree with putting a new motorcraft filter on it since that's the main new variable you've introduced. Many years ago I had a similar issue with a Volvo 240 I owned. I changed the oil and put on a Fram "[censored]" and the oil light would flicker at idle when hot. I took that off and put on a purolator and the light never turned on again. I wish I had opened up that Fram to see what if anything was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back