2014 F150 5.0 0w20 Quaker State Ultimate 8293km

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first ever oil analysis. I don't know much other than what Blackstone labs told me in the write up so please let me know what you guys think. I cant remember the exact day this oil went in, not home at the moment so I can't look at the receipt but I know it was in February, 2016. I should mention that this oil has seen lots of winter idling, and I drive lots of gravel roads and lots of short trips.

RANDY: In terms of wear, this first sample from your F150 looks great! Universal averages for this type of
engine are based on about 9,200 km of use, and after going about 1,000 km less on this oil, iron is
appropriately low. It's the one metal that tracks directly with oil use, while the others tend to stay closer to
average, even after a longer interval. These numbers don't indicate trouble, and the trace of fuel that
showed up isn't anything to be worried about. It’s probably from city driving or cold sampling, and that's fine.
The TBN was strong at 3.3 - lots of active additive left.

Code:

OIL QSUD 0W20

MILES IN USE 8293 KM

MILES 44298 KM

SAMPLE TAKEN 01/08/16

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 17

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 191

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 2

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 4

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 4

SILICON 13

SODIUM 73

CALCIUM 1787

MAGNESIUM 9

PHOSPHORUS 598

ZINC 697

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 380

SUS VIS 210ºF 52.5

cSt @ 212ºF 8.04

TBN 3.3

Last edited:
This is the first oil change I have done on the truck since I have owned it.As far as I know, the truck was a local 2 year lease return so I would assume it was dealer maintained with a maintenance package. Usually they use Motorcraft semi-synthetic but maybe the previous owner actually used synthetic oil??

Your UOA looks good as for this car. Previous oil was with titanium package, im curious about manganese- where it comes from.
For further- OCI=10k km on this oil

Do you have an oil life monitor on your Ford? If so what was the reading? You can use the oil life monitor to remove all of the guesswork. It takes into account idle times, cold starts, high rpm/full throttle among other things as long as you have it on the smart setting and not the dump (km meassurement only) setting.
You can definetly go 10.000 km on this oil and maybe 15.000 km. TBN does not decrease linearly, it dicreases slower as the oil gets older.

I didn't know they had a km/mi only settin, I'll have to check what it's set on. I generally only do 8000km oil changs because I follow the severe duty oil change interval in the manual. As for life left on the monitor, I can't remember exactly what it was at. I know it was in the 40s, and 43% keeps popping into my head so I'm pretty sure that's what it was at.

Very interesting. I've run this oil in my 2011 before, but base my oci off the iolm, typically around 8500 miles (13600km)...

In Canada, Motorcraft oil are made by Imperial Oil Canada, so they are Mobil bulk oil, similar to Mobil 1000.

These oils use Ti as an anti-wear additive, same as Kendall and Castrol.

Originally Posted By: Randy_270
This is the first oil change I have done on the truck since I have owned it.As far as I know, the truck was a local 2 year lease return so I would assume it was dealer maintained with a maintenance package. Usually they use Motorcraft semi-synthetic but maybe the previous owner actually used synthetic oil??

With the left over sodium I would bet Mobil conventional.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
In Canada, Motorcraft oil are made by Imperial Oil Canada, so they are Mobil bulk oil, similar to Mobil 1000.

I apologize, I did not see this post.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: addyguy

I apologize, I did not see this post.

No worries, it's all good!

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Randy_270
I didn't know they had a km/mi only settin, I'll have to check what it's set on. I generally only do 8000km oil changs because I follow the severe duty oil change interval in the manual. As for life left on the monitor, I can't remember exactly what it was at. I know it was in the 40s, and 43% keeps popping into my head so I'm pretty sure that's what it was at.

I'm not sure this true for Ford, but is true for many brands including my Opel (GM) car. People at the service station should be able to answer that and set it approprietly. 40+% plus oil life remaining sounds spot on to me based on your report. I think you could once try running down the oil life monitor close to 0 to see an oil analysis. I believe these instruments are very well setup from the factory provided a compatible oil is used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back