2014 Explorer | Kendall GT-1 0W-20 | 9,245 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is UOA #3 on the Explorer, this time with Kendall GT-1 0W-20. The same combination went back in, but I will be switching to M1 after this run. Though I had hoped to see the silicon continue to drop, it actually rose this time so I will be checking the air filter and associated connections to be certain that I do not have a leak.

Else, all looks pretty good. Enjoy!

Code:

Year: 2014 Make: Ford

Model: Explorer Limited Engine: 3.5L FFV

Date: 08/14 02/14 12/13

Oil Brand/Type: GT-1 F/S MS5K MC

Oil Viscosity: 0W-20 5W-20 5W-20

API Service: SN SN SN

Oil Filter: MC MC OEM

Air Filter: MC MC MC

Lab: BLKST BLKST BLKST

Vehicle Mileage: 15,097 5,852 1,905

Oil Mileage: 9,245 3,947 1,905

Make-Up Oil: 0.0 0.0 0.0

Aluminum: 7 6 19

Chromium 0 0 0

Iron: 15 8 16

Copper: 59 74 184

Lead: 2 1 2

Tin: 4 0 0

Molybdenum: 15 12 71

Nickel: 2 0 1

Manganese: 19 11 35

Silver: 1 0 0

Titanium: 74 24 0

Potassium: 3 5 6

Boron: 36 17 168

Silicon: 41 34 89

Sodium: 62 293 10

Calcium: 2049 1685 1934

Magnesium: 9 8 8

Phosphorus: 620 622 726

Zinc: 732 693 741

Barium: 0 0 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 53.8 53.8 50.9

cSt Visc. @ 100°C 8.41 8.43 7.53

Flashpoint in °F 440 430 400

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2 TR TR

TBN 2.5 --- ---

TAN --- --- ---

3rd UOA Comments: We were wondering if some fuel would turn from starting the engine to put the truck on the ramps,

but nothing was present here. Some engines are okay with a brief start-up prior to sampling, and some

engines can leave a little fuel in the oil in that scenario. A little fuel in this oil wouldn't have hurt anything

anyway though. Copper continued to improve nicely, even with the longer oil run, so we're seeing some

good progress here. Silicon increased, so you might give your air filter/intake a quick once-over to look for

issues. The TBN was fine at 2.5 since 1.0 is low.

2nd UOA Comments: Here's the lower wear we mentioned. You even went twice as long as last time and still got

improvements. The wear-in stuff is washing out nicely. Copper is still pretty high, but that metal tends to take

a while to wash out and there was more of it to start with. Silicon can take a while to wash out too, but the

improvement is still a good sign that the air filter is getting the job done. You'll notice titanium and sodium

here, but they're just additives in the oil itself and not harmful. The viscosity is correct for a 5W/20 with no

fuel or coolant was found. Doing okay.

1st UOA Comments: There's nothing unusual in this factory sample from your new Explorer. High metals and silicon are

common in factory oils. The metal is from new parts wearing in and silicon shows harmless factor sealers.

We looked ahead and things look a lot better in the next sample. It may take a couple of oil changes, but

this engine should look like universal averages soon. They show typical wear levels for this type of engine

after about 6,000 miles on the oil. No fuel or coolant showed up and the oil filter kept insolubles low.

The silicon didnt go up, you ran this oil much longer and the ppm avg per 1k miles is less. Looks good to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't believe silicon is supposed to track with mileage like iron.

It does not; I have something happening for it to continue to increase. An inspection of the airbox and ducts is on the agenda. I may toss the MC air filter for a Napa Gold at that point. I did that on my FX4 and had a nice reduction in silicon.

It can't hurt to check your filtration, but consider that the engine was still very low mileage when this oil went in. Even though you did a couple short oci's to flush things out, I think it's still the typical break in you're seeing.

Copper runs high in the Ford 3.5, but should come down a good bit next time, too.

Thanks for the info FX4 !

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't believe silicon is supposed to track with mileage like iron.

It does not; I have something happening for it to continue to increase. An inspection of the airbox and ducts is on the agenda. I may toss the MC air filter for a Napa Gold at that point. I did that on my FX4 and had a nice reduction in silicon.

Thanks gents. I was under the assumption that with more time on an oci, the higher the Si would climb. Appreciate the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back