2014 diesel chevy cruze - what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: CMB
Hello guys, any suggestions on what to run in this motor? The engine is a 2.0 VM turbo diesel

I have a real hard time believing GM when they say to run standard dexos 2 5w-30 and not a diesel spec'd oil.

Calling a diesel ENGINE a motor. LMAO.

That would have gotten a person an F in my auto shop class back in the day. The teacher wouldn't stand for calling an engine of any kind a motor.

HA! Me too. To this day I never say motor. Technically, our teachers are correct.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: pavelow
Hello guys, any suggestions on what to run in this motor? The engine is a 2.0 VM turbo diesel

I have a real hard time believing GM when they say to run standard dexos 2 5w-30 and not a diesel spec'd oil.

Calling a diesel ENGINE a motor. LMAO.

That would have gotten a person an F in my auto shop class back in the day. The teacher wouldn't stand for calling an engine of any kind a motor.

VW may have the common rail thing sorted out, but VM has had common rail for a long time, and most of the commercial heavy diesels have had common rail for a decade now. There are relatively few vehicle diesels that aren't common rail anymore. GM may seem to be just a newbie at this, but they also were partnered with Penske, and together they were partnered with VM motors (yes, VM of Italy, not VW of Germany) for quite a while, who has been doing common rail as long as anyone else. I was especially fond of the 2.8L VM common rail diesel in my 2006 Jeep Liberty. That was, in many ways the same engine that GM is going to plant in their midsize Colorado and Canyon pickups.

I am not so sure, that one of the already available, off the shelf, CJ-4 synthetics or blends would not work just fine in the Cruz. After all, there are 13L, 14L, and 15L heavy diesels, with all the latest emission junk, VG turbos, working 80,000 lb trucks, pulling from Canada to the Rio Grande, mountains and plains, winter and summer using 5w30 and 10w30 oils. I know of several trucking fleets that are on these oils instead of the traditional 15w40 stuff, and doing some serious drain intervals to boot. I seriously doubt the Cruz diesel would put any more strain on one of these CJ-4 synthetic diesel oils. I just saw a used oil sample, on a trucking forum, from a guy with a Cummins ISX 15L that was running a 5w30 HDEO synthetic and had 25,000 miles on the oil at that sampling, and it was as good or better than any UOA I have seen on any other heavy diesel using 15w40.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I seriously doubt the Cruz diesel would put any more strain on one of these CJ-4 synthetic diesel oils. I just saw a used oil sample, on a trucking forum, from a guy with a Cummins ISX 15L that was running a 5w30 HDEO synthetic and had 25,000 miles on the oil at that sampling, and it was as good or better than any UOA I have seen on any other heavy diesel using 15w40.

Mobil Delvac 1™ LE 5W-30 has a Sulfated Ash, wt%1. Standard Valvoline Synpower is 0.93% and the MST variety is 0.78% (Dexos2 approved for Cruze).

I think the big thing is the ash content and the DPF.

Last edited:
hence the CJ-4 spec I mentioned. That spec was specifically put out for diesels with the SCR and DPF stuff. The fact that this is relatively new to the consumer side of things only makes this all an issue. The Commercial diesel side has been dealing with all of the SCR and DPF issues for a long time and billions of miles. The low SAPS is part of the CJ-4 spec. That is why I mentioned that the OP should not have any issue with a HDEO, in the viscosity grade they need, that is a CJ-4 rated oil. Personally, I would side with a synthetic, or at least a blend if I was putting it in a smaller diesel for the extra advantage it offers and the fact that we are talking about a few quarts, not a few gallons like a heavy diesel. Cost would be hardly an issue.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
So people will:

1.) Pay a premium for a diesel engine in the Cruze

2.) Pay anywhere from $.25-$.60 MORE per gallon for diesel over gasoline here in Michigan

3.) Have to buy Dexos2 oil at the dealer for $6-$8+ per QUART

What are the economic advantages of opting for a diesel engine over the gasoline engine they put in the Cruze Eco again?

Here in So-Cal diesel is roughly the same price as Premium gasoline, so I opted for a VW TDI rather than a VW premium gasser. The torque is awesome but the selling point was that diesel engines with proper maintenance last forever. The downside is the ADblue / Blue Def.

Originally Posted By: gyrfalcon
Mobil Delvac 1™ LE 5W-30 has a Sulfated Ash, wt%1. Standard Valvoline Synpower is 0.93% and the MST variety is 0.78% (Dexos2 approved for Cruze).

I think the big thing is the ash content and the DPF.

Delvac 1 LE also has a very low phosphorous content.

Sure, one pays a premium for a diesel, but usually you get what you pay for. Can't speak to the GM varieties, but the VM 2.8L in my Jeep was designed with a B50 life of over 300,000 miles, meaning less than 50% of these engines, on average, would need overhauled in 300,000 miles. A unrealized dream for many gas engines.

Pay more for fuel? Sure. But when you factor that the average mpg of the typical diesel vs gasser, is a net gain of anywhere from 30-50%, it is a non issue. My Jeep, the gasser version, folks dreamed of 21 mpg highway. My diesel got 32 mpg highway on a normal day. On a good day, 35 mpg. Over 50% better mpg. The difference between gas and diesel fuel prices would have to be much larger than they are just to make it even. Diesel wins.

And would only have to buy dexos2 oil if one has an swollen paranoia gland. I probably would have good odds if I bet that a GM dealer is using a CJ-4 rated oil in all the diesels that come thru. The Duramax, according to the dexos site itself, is on CJ-4 and not dexos2. Almost a sure thing the lube jocky at the dealer will put the same oil in the Cruze. And no one will ever know the difference. The VM diesel in my Jeep specified some obscure Euro spec 0w40. I put in a CJ-4 5w40 and the engine has done just fine. My son owns it now and it is running as great as it did when new in 2006. The Jeep has has some problems, but not the engine.

Sure, one pays a premium for a diesel, but usually you get what you pay for. Can't speak to the GM varieties, but the VM 2.8L in my Jeep was designed with a B50 life of over 300,000 miles, meaning less than 50% of these engines, on average, would need overhauled in 300,000 miles. A unrealized dream for many gas engines.

Pay more for fuel? Sure. But when you factor that the average mpg of the typical diesel vs gasser, is a net gain of anywhere from 30-50%, it is a non issue. My Jeep, the gasser version, folks dreamed of 21 mpg highway. My diesel got 32 mpg highway on a normal day. On a good day, 35 mpg. Over 50% better mpg. The difference between gas and diesel fuel prices would have to be much larger than they are just to make it even. Diesel wins.

And would only have to buy dexos2 oil if one has an swollen paranoia gland. I probably would have good odds if I bet that a GM dealer is using a CJ-4 rated oil in all the diesels that come thru. The Duramax, according to the dexos site itself, is on CJ-4 and not dexos2. Almost a sure thing the lube jocky at the dealer will put the same oil in the Cruze. And no one will ever know the difference. The VM diesel in my Jeep specified some obscure Euro spec 0w40. I put in a CJ-4 5w40 and the engine has done just fine. My son owns it now and it is running as great as it did when new in 2006. The Jeep has has some problems, but not the engine.

How do you find out the design life of an engine?

I went to VM's website (though in Italy, the site had de facto English format) back in 2006 when I bought the Jeep and dug around and found out all kinds of goodies on my engine. Downloads galore. Great graphs on hp, torque, gallon per hour fuel consumption rates up and down the RPM band, etc. All kinds of stuff that usually is reserved for commercial users here in the U.S. And in all of that, I found the design B50 life of the engine was 300,000 miles / 500,000 Km. I can get this kind of stuff for my commercial engines, I just wish the auto and pickup OEM's readily offered similar information. It would sure make is a lot easier for folks to determine the best RPM bands to run their engines. Everyone from the gooberment to the OEM's to the consumer are chasing fuel economy, if more detailed information was provided the consumer, it would help to advance the fuel economy thing as folks would know the most efficient band to run their engine. At least for those that take an interest in such things.

I went to VM's website (though in Italy, the site had de facto English format) back in 2006 when I bought the Jeep and dug around and found out all kinds of goodies on my engine. Downloads galore. Great graphs on hp, torque, gallon per hour fuel consumption rates up and down the RPM band, etc. All kinds of stuff that usually is reserved for commercial users here in the U.S. And in all of that, I found the design B50 life of the engine was 300,000 miles / 500,000 Km. I can get this kind of stuff for my commercial engines, I just wish the auto and pickup OEM's readily offered similar information. It would sure make is a lot easier for folks to determine the best RPM bands to run their engines. Everyone from the gooberment to the OEM's to the consumer are chasing fuel economy, if more detailed information was provided the consumer, it would help to advance the fuel economy thing as folks would know the most efficient band to run their engine. At least for those that take an interest in such things.

I used to go on the VM Motori web site, too. Lots of good stuff there.

I've been watching the price of diesel here in Michigan, and it's really got me down. I just bought premium gasoline yesterday at $2.15/gal, and diesel at the same station was $3.19. That's about 50% more for diesel fuel, and pretty much wipes out any economic advantage that a diesel would have over gasoline, given the initial cost penalty of a diesel engine. Hopefully this is just a temporary situation, but I have never seen diesel at such a high cost relative to gasoline.

Last edited:

Does this car not come with years of complimentary maintenance? Let them do the oil changes, just make sure the car doesn't leave your sight and you can physically see them change the filter and pour the correct oil in.

Why? I'm pretty sure dexos 2 is a diesel-spec oil.

Would you doubt MB saying to use 229.x in their diesels, or bmw saying to use LL-04 in their diesels? Guess what, those both are diesel and gas specs. Do you deny ACEA B specs? API c specs?

What exactly are you looking for to make you comfortable? 15w-40 delvac?

Even in the mb diesel world I come from (IDI turbo diesels with egr) lots of folks have run lots of hundreds of thousands of miles on api CF and even 20w-50 PCMO. Surely dexos 2 is far more stringent and better than that, for what is otherwise a cleaner running, less soot loading engine.

I'm missing the basis of the fear. Especially if the lube you're after also holds ACEA b specs and other euro manufacturers' diesel/ga$ specs.

is it still reallya VM diesel? Now they have a Fiat diesel engine, before they used a Daewoo diesel engine, and only the first gen was a VM to my knowledge (same engine as used by Hyundai/Kia).

if the oil plug is on the wheel side and looks like a banjo bolt, it's the Fiat engine.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3744430/1

If it's the Fiat engine, MB229.51 oil is perfect

Last edited:
With diesel at the very same price in my area right now, the diesel folks ought to be grinning like a mule eating burrs. I sure would be. I know I sure am liking it for my business diesel needs. Commercial buying, I have getting diesel almost 40 cents a gallon LESS than gas at the pump right now. Take advantage of it while it lasts. You know this kind of thing will not last forever.

TT here in my town diesel is 40c/gal cheaper (Oz cents, 30c US).

My Nissan with diesel gets 10km/l. The gasser version got 7km/l...been laughing the entire time I've owned it.

Well, I sure haven't been laughing, but I have sure felt a lot of comfort with lower diesel pricing. My business spreadsheets and my bank account like the low prices also. I realize it may be short lived, so I am just enjoying it and keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way for a while.

Actually this is just more icing on the cake. Transportation capacity is down, which means there is more freight chasing fewer trucks, so rates are better. That is compounded by a perceived driver shortage that is also driving rates. Not convinced yet that any driver shortage is as acute as many in the industry are claiming, but it is getting enough print time in the rags to concern a lot of folks. Combine that with lower fuel costs, and this is a situation I can totally deal with. And with lower fuel and oil, tire prices have dropped a little. That is a good thing since my semi is going to get all new rubber this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back