2014 Chrysler T&C 9.5K miles on oil, 86K on vehicle, Citgo 5w30 FS

Good day, All. See my latest Blackstone oil sample. This oil change lasted 9,580 miles based on the EVIC OCI. The numbers seem reasonable to me except the viscosity has dropped a little. This is why I use 5w30 in my vehicles, so when it drops it's still above the recommended grade of 5w20. I'll continue to watch the iron in future changes to see if something is trending.

This run included 3 long road trips to various places, including one to Florida and back in November. I believe the fuel dilution is from recent cold weather, short trip driving since the run to Florida. This is the wife's daily driver and sees lots of short trips around town.

The oil and filter were both changed.
Out was Citgo 5w30 FS & MO-349
In was Citgo 5w30 FS HM & MO-349)

Just my $0.02

14 T&C UOA.jpg

Looks good! Thanks for doing this and posting the results.

I always ran 5w30 in my pentastars as well. Not sure if subsequent owners benefited.

The iron has almost doubled from the previous run. 3.2ppm per 1000 mi vs 1.7ppm per 1000 mi. What oils were used in the three previous OCI?

The iron has almost doubled from the previous run. 3.2ppm per 1000 mi vs 1.7ppm per 1000 mi. What oils were used in the three previous OCI?

I have used a mix of Mobil 1 EP and Super Synthetic 5w30 since we bought the van @ 34K until this run. It was the first use of Citgo 5w30 FS. I refilled with Citgo 5w30 FS HM this run. I’ll probably consider resampling at the next OCI.

Just my $0.02

I certainly can check and or replace the PCV valve. Just curious why you have suggested this? Thanks!

Just my $0.02
If it gets clogged, your engine can consume oil and also collect some moisture on the oil.

The PCV is just like a lung which allows the gases inside the engine to get burn. In the Volvo world a clogged PCV can actually push the engine seals out.

If it gets clogged, your engine can consume oil and also collect some moisture on the oil.

The PCV is just like a lung which allows the gases inside the engine to get burn. In the Volvo world a clogged PCV can actually push the engine seals out.

Thank you. I wasn’t sure if you saw something in the sample report that indicated an issue. I will check it for sure but I didn’t see any issues with the report that would indicate a PCV issue. A 1/2 quart in 9,500 miles is minimal IMO. I also didn’t see signs of moisture and the sample showed none.

Just my $0.02

Back