2014 Chrysler T&C 8.3K miles on oil, 68K on vehicle

See my latest Blackstone oil sample. This oil change lasted ~8,300 miles based on the EVIC OCI. All the numbers seem good. I'm surprised by the increase in TBN to 2.6, not sure how that happens. This change used up my stash of Mobil Super Synthetic. I think next OCI will be ST Full Synthetic 5W30.

Attachments

• 14 T&C Sample.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 175
Wait a sec, I just saw something here. Please correct me if I'm overlooking something, but that sample at 8K was on the same oil that you had in the sump at 4.6K, correct? If so, the TBN rose from 2.0 to 2.6? With no makeup oil? I wonder how common that is....

EDIT: OK I just read your OP. Interesting. I wonder how often that happens. Reason why it intrigued me is that my Highlander had a UOA at 6000 miles and a TBN of 1.5. Was quite a bit lower than I was expecting.

Wait a sec, I just saw something here. Please correct me if I'm overlooking something, but that sample at 8K was on the same oil that you had in the sump at 4.6K, correct? If so, the TBN rose from 2.0 to 2.6? With no makeup oil? I wonder how common that is....

EDIT: OK I just read your OP. Interesting. I wonder how often that happens. Reason why it intrigued me is that my Highlander had a UOA at 6000 miles and a TBN of 1.5. Was quite a bit lower than I was expecting.

Yeah I'm not sure if taking the sample through the dipstick tube at 4.6K and out of the drain pan this time makes a difference... I can't think of any other reason.

When you get the bottle from Blackstone they tell you to take the sample after the oil has been draining for at least 30 seconds. I think the sample is better since there is no possible buildup of contaminants as there may be near the drain plug, especially if the vehicle may have been sitting for a while.

When you get the bottle from Blackstone they tell you to take the sample after the oil has been draining for at least 30 seconds. I think the sample is better since there is no possible buildup of contaminants as there may be near the drain plug, especially if the vehicle may have been sitting for a while.
I actually pull the sample from the drain pan after all the oil has drained. I use the plastic tube on the syphon pump to "stir" the oil and then suck the sample out of the center... Probably not the best method but cleaner than catching oil from the drain plug. In the end I can't explain the TBN change... :unsure:

Just my $0.02

Reactions: JC1
Back