2014 Chrysler T&C 4.6K miles on oil, 64K on vehicle

See my latest Blackstone oil sample. I usually go ~9,000 miles based on the EVIC OCI. I haven't checked a sample in a couple years so thought I would at half way. All seems good but I was surprised by a TBN of 2.0. Not sure I'll make it the other 4,500 miles to get to 9,000. The first sample from 2 years ago was Mobil 1 EP 5W30, this is Mobil Super Synthetic 5W30.

Everything else looks reasonable but the TBN...

Attachments

• 14T&C UOA.pdf
    16.7 KB · Views: 133
I agree... I’m surprised by that also. I’m also surprised that they commented that there is plenty of life left for another 4500 miles.

I agree... I’m surprised by that also. I’m also surprised that they commented that there is plenty of life left for another 4500 miles.

Yeah I'll run it for a while longer and see what the EVIC OCI does. I don't have an oil life monitor on my 2014...

I agree that the TBN seems low. The data is old (2013) on the PQIA site but it showed a TBN of 8.0 originally... http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/mobilsuper.htm

Anyway we will see how it goes. With the rest of the sample looking good any thoughts on going 4,500 more miles?

With that TBN, I personally wouldn’t run it more than maybe 1500 more, but everyone has their own comfort level.

Yeah I'll run it for a while longer and see what the EVIC OCI does. I don't have an oil life monitor on my 2014...

I agree that the TBN seems low. The data is old (2013) on the PQIA site but it showed a TBN of 8.0 originally... http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/mobilsuper.htm

Anyway we will see how it goes. With the rest of the sample looking good any thoughts on going 4,500 more miles?

Two different things going on.
TBN has generally dropped since the adoption of low sulphur fuel since it's no longer needs to be as high.
New oil test run by PQIA would likely have been Total Base in accordance with industry standards and the UOA is likely a Hard Base number which is lower.

Chevron has some analysis that show total nitration, sulfation, oxidation and wear well within check at double the miles TBN and TAN cross with low sulphur fuel. I'm struggling with how to judge drain intervals with the new paradigm.

Two different things going on.
TBN has generally dropped since the adoption of low sulphur fuel since it's no longer needs to be as high.
New oil test run by PQIA would likely have been Total Base in accordance with industry standards and the UOA is likely a Hard Base number which is lower.

Chevron has some analysis that show total nitration, sulfation, oxidation and wear well within check at double the miles TBN and TAN cross with low sulphur fuel. I'm struggling with how to judge drain intervals with the new paradigm.

Thanks for the feedback Gene. I’m going to keep running this oil for a while and see what happens. Like I said last OCI was ~9,000 miles. I’d like to get to the EVIC notification again and see what the oil has left if anything.

I forgot to mention that this sample was mailed to B S on Thursday August 6th from Eastern Iowa. I received the results on Thursday August 13th. This is the fastest I’ve had a sample turned around. Very impressive since it’s usually about 2 weeks.

Back